DIY Alaskan Caribou

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

My father and I have been tossing around the idea of a DIY bou hunt. We have discussed the options for types of hunts and are liking the idea of hunting the haul road. We both think it could be a great time and doing it how we are thinking would be very cost effective between the two of us. We both have a large amount of vacation time from work and are considering driving up and using our own truck (Ram Power Wagon with a cap) for the hunt. I have come here for some input after doing a lot of searching through threads both here and other sites. All the threads seem to be older so I thought maybe it was time for a new thread. I want the pros and cons of the haul road? Can it be successful? Is the herd really struggling like everyone says? How much pressure does it really get and so on. Below is a list of some other questions that have initially come up.

Would our truck be suitable for the haul road?

What does it take to be archery certified in Alaska?

What are the laws regarding pulling off the road to camp or hunt? (I have read about people getting ticketed)

Do they have designated pull offs/camping or can we stop wherever we want as long as we are far enough off the road?

Does the pressure really thin out when you get 1-2 miles from the road?

How far north of Fairbanks do you have to go in late August to get to the bou? and How long does this take?

Whats the weather like in general that of year on the North Slope?

If we do take a bou would we be able to drop the boned out meat in Fairbanks to be processed and froze if we are close to end of the trip? Do any towns along the Dalton have places that can process and freeze if we still have more hunting to be done? We are thinking frozen meat in coolers with dry ice for the trip back home? (I know this may take a day or two to be processed and frozen)

As well some input on gear would be great. I have a lot of backpack hunting gear and wouldn't be opposed to spiking out a few days. if you have a gear list you may have used or some items you think are essential throw them out to me.

I guess all in all I am looking for the good, bad and ugly, but most of all I want to hear about your success and if the trip is worth it. As always feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss things in the thread or want to communicate via other methods.

Thanks in advanced Alan.

carter33

WKR
Lots of questions but I will try to hit a few, never hunted off the haul road but have driven it multiple times for fly out and airboat hunts.Doing a fly out north of the brooks this August as well.

-Your truck is definitely suitable but I would bring an additional spare. Two in total at minimum, three if you can.

-You will need to drive north of cold foot most likely north of the Brooks range for caribou in August I believe 6-8 hours north of fairbanks

-I have camped off the haul road many times but only once during hunting season. I have never been ticketed. I think you would be fine as long as you try to choose common sense locations. There are some designated camp locations also.

-Thier are places to have game processed in Fairbanks but it usually takes a bit of time during that time of year. I’m sure they could speed the turn around time up for a price but it may be steep.

-Cold foot is just south of the range and they sell ice, they may be willing to keep meat in their freezer but I would call and ask the cold foot camp before banking on it. They also have pretty good food as well as gas and lodging.

-if you have a packraft to cross the sag just to the east of the highway on the north slope this could greatly expand your options. I would probably bring both hiking boots and muck/lacrosse type rubber boots

-again iv never hunted directly from the road but I know people that have been successful in recent years and talked to hunters that had success last year. Some years caribou are heavy near the road and some years they aren’t. The more time you have up there will greatly increase the odds.

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
Your truck is plenty suitable for the haul road. Just take it easy and watch for potholes, sharp rocks and other road hazards such as hippies riding bikes. Bring and extra spare and 2 15 gallon poly drums for taking extra fuel. The only places to get gas up that way are coldfoot and deadhorse. so if you will be driving back and forth trying to locate bou you'll need the extra gas plus it provides a safety net so to speak. I fill up 2 15 gallon drums in fbx and then top my truck off in coldfoot, that allows me lots of driving and can make it all the way back to fbx with the fuel in the truck and the 2 drums. Dumping 5 gallon cans with Obama nozzles suck when its cold, raining, or lots of mosquitos.

Archery cert is just an IBEP cert so you may be able to find a course in your area.

There are plenty of pullouts along the hwy and a few established campgorunds. Also plenty of pipeline access gates you can park in as long as you do not block the gate and you should have a RUG issued by Alyeska security. You can camp about anywhere you please, it's the truck that cant leave the road or pull outs.

There can be way too much pressure right along the road and I have had many stalks blown due to other hunters stopping to watch or also stalk the same animal or herd. This isn't always the case, but I would recommend getting away from the road a bit. I always bring a rifle with me as well in case I just cant make it happen in the first 4 days or so I hike out of the cooridor. You wont see many if any hunters out of the cooridor. BE SURE OF YOUR DISTANCE FROM THE ROAD BEFORE USING A RIFLE.

The migration varies each year but plan to drive as far North as Pump station 2 or further in August. See above for fuel recommendation^. That said you may also see them as far South as Galbraith lake or Slope mountain. Drive until you see some before starting a hike out. Also talk to truckers when you stop at Coldfoot.

Weather can be anything from sunny and in the 80's full of bugs to snow and sub-freezing temps in August and you should plan for both.

Don't plan on getting stuff frozen in Coldfoot. I've tried and they won't do it. Fashion up some kind of fold up meat pole using some 2x4's and hinges. This will give you something to hang meat from and place a tarp over it to shade it and keep it dry. Obviously it needs to fold up to fit in the truck but also hold a good bit of meat. Use quality game bags such as caribou gear, and use food grade citric acid.

I have a good gear/packing list I used and have refined over years of hunting the slope and Brooks range. PM me your email and I can get it sent to you. Hope that answers some of your questions.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate the knowledge and input.

Who do you contact to get a RUG?

Bears won’t be a big issue hanging meet like that or is it just one of those things you have to accept going to Alaska?

If we get out of the coridour and rifle hunt what would you say the chances at success are? I saw somewhere I think in the Alaskan forum about someone having a overlay for gps with the exact boundaries. Does anyone know about this?

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
If you're driving consider using a deep freezer and generator to get and keep your meat cold. We used an outfitter to get us up a river near pump station two. Getting the meat cold was an issue back in Fairbanks. I know guys do it, but archery hunting seems pretty tough on the tundra. Also be prepared for hiking on the tundra, it is incredibly tough to walk on. My buddy and I are 30 and in decent shape but it kicked our ass. Have good packs or sleds to get meat out. Getting five miles off the road to rifle hunt would be tough, should plan in camping out if you do that. That said, with rifles you should be successfu, weather permitting.

I'd guess I've been up the haul road to hunt around 40 times or so since 2013, I love it.

Would our truck be suitable for the haul road? Yes, I'd reccomend 10 ply D rated tires. I've never had a flat tire (knock on wood), but have seen many that have!

What does it take to be archery certified in Alaska? IBEP certification will suffice, if you can't get into a class, take the South Dakota one online and it'll work.

What are the laws regarding pulling off the road to camp or hunt? (I have read about people getting ticketed) Camp wherever you'd like and do your best to find a pull out when parking.

Do they have designated pull offs/camping or can we stop wherever we want as long as we are far enough off the road? I'd reccomend finding a pull out.

Does the pressure really thin out when you get 1-2 miles from the road? Yes

How far north of Fairbanks do you have to go in late August to get to the bou? and How long does this take? I can be to Coldfoot in 5 hours from my house in Fairbanks. Figure another 2 hours to Caribou country, or so. As to where they'll be, that's anyones guess.

Whats the weather like in general that of year on the North Slope? Sun, Rain, Snow, Bugs, Rain, Bugs, Overcast, Cold, Hot as balls, did I mention bugs? Have a plan for hunting in bugs or you won't be hunting much. They can be downright terrible.

I've packed caribou several miles numerous times but you couldn't pay me to hike the 5 miles out to gun hunt. No thanks... Stalking caribou on the tundra can be very difficult at times, get in front of them. I've shot them from 10 yards to 90 yards. I'd be a proficient shot at longer distances if success is your goal.

I take block ice in a yeti or equal. I've also taken a small freezer and generator.

If you don't bring a raft, you're silly.

I'd reccomend late August.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Great input. Thanks for all of it. Sounds like it could be a really great trip.

Would the raft be for crossing the Sag?

Any other streams or rivers we could walk up and float back down?

What kind of raft would you recommend?

I like the idea of a freezer and generator. Would I be able to keep meat for a week or so in a Yeti with dry ice?

Raft is for the Sag or any other creeks you may want to cross. I don't raft and hunt, I raft across cause I've seen an animal I want to hunt, so not sure on the floating/hunting deal. Be hard with one truck.

I use a PR49 but any reliable and lightweight raft will suffice.

You should have no problem keeping meat a week. Getting it cooled down in the wind/shade and then into a cooler usually works for me.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
What are some other brands of rafts to look into?

Could you use waders and walk across that Sag as well as other streams?

Also am I wrong for thinking a synthetic sleeping bag is the way to go in Alaska?

Last edited:
I have no idea on other rafts. I am sure someone here knows a few other options.

You could use waders on some of the creeks, but not the Sag.

I prefer a synthetic bag but it's not the only way to go.

jhm2023

WKR
For rafts I never hunt caribou country without a klymit lite water dinghy and a carbon fiber kayak paddle. It doesn't weigh much of anything and is useful for water crossing within reason. Also good for loading meat in and lining it downstream as much as possible. For sleeping bags I have always use a treated down bag rated somewhere between 0 and 15*. The weight and compressed sized are important to me and I've gotten them pretty weight with no issues. Regardless of down or synthetic you want to keep everything as dry as possible. For the RUG just stop in at the Alyeska building in Fairbanks or any of the pump stations along the way.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Man guys thanks for all the great information.

Anyone have any success stories or photos.

Is 5 miles in the tundra that much tougher than 5 miles through down timber up a mountain drainage?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man guys thanks for all the great information.

Anyone have any success stories or photos.

Is 5 miles in the tundra that much tougher than 5 miles through down timber up a mountain drainage?
Yes it's unbelievable how much effort it is to walk in tundra. I went about 2 miles in 5 hours or so but it was uphill and maybe I'm just a puss. 5 miles out and back packing a bou will be an experience not soon forgotten. I honestly doubt few guys will be able to do it multiple days in a row no way I would sign on for that adventure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There will be a haul rd caribou article in the next issue of Bowhunter if you happen to read magazines still.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up about the article. I may have to try to pick one up. Do you know what issue that will be?

Thanks for the link to the article. It was a nice read. Certainly gets the blood flowing just thinking about it.

Anyone off the top of their head want to take a stab at what success rates might even be. Let’s say archery within 2 miles of the road, arechery from 2-5 and then outside the corridor?

I think I or someone in our group has taken a caribou on every trip up there for the most part, especially so in August. Not sure everyone has high success but I'd guess overall it's rather low. There isn't anything easy about stalking caribou in the wide open. If you've ever spot and stalked pronghorn with a bow, it's a lot like that. When big groups come through, shots seem to come pretty easy. But I also prefer stalking small groups of bulls as well. Man, I can't wait to get up there but there's lots of hunting to be had before then.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like your response is on par with everyone else’s. Some guys and groups of guys get it done every trip it
seems like while others seem to struggle. I can see where it would be tough in the open country to spot and stalk anything. Would you say the chance of success is greatly increased when you get outside the corridor with being able to use a rifle and the far less pressure?

jhm2023

WKR
My success rate on the Haul road is about 80-90% but I'm way more stubborn than most and have found myself pretty far from the road. I once hiked to the next river west of the Haul road which was about 30 miles according to my GPS after I went around all the lakes and swamps. My buddy and I both killed decent bou and we ended up calling a plane out of deadhorse to pick us up. We bit off more than we could chew to say the least. I might also add that I'm not particularly a trophy hunter even though I have taken several large bulls with a couple over 350". Not being too picky probably helps increase your chances. Just be willing to out walk others and stay persistent. Don't wonder too far from camp without some shelter and sleeping bag. It sucks when you spot bou several miles out and you want to go for them but know you're too far from camp, or when the fog socks you in.