First lite weight question...150 vs 200?

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My current baselayer is the Sitka Core lightweight crew. This worked well for me last year in early September combined with my Kelvin lite vest, but I did get chilly when sitting during the mornings and evenings.

This year I'm going late September so was considering going with a Merino top from First Light. I'm thinking the 200 weight aerowool is probably the way to go, but I'm concerned it will be too warm for me when I'm moving so I'm torn between the 150 and 200 weights. I tend to get hot while moving to a certain extent. Any advice from folks who have had their hands on this stuff would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've used most of the pieces from First Lite, which pieces are you looking at specifically? Also, if camo isn't a huge deal to you I would snap up some of the merino pieces from BlackOvis/Camofire and try them out as well. Great prices on them and their boxers have far outlived the FL boxers I've had/have. Bought a couple of their short sleeve t shirts to try and really like the fit of them, and they were less than $30 apiece. I think their medium weight hoody on Camofire is the most expensive and it is usually less than $60.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Sounds to me like you need to look at a good light weight puffy

Puffy is in the budget for next year unfortunately, not this year. I'm going with the vest, softshell, and hoodie for extra layers this year.

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
I've used most of the pieces from First Lite, which pieces are you looking at specifically? Also, if camo isn't a huge deal to you I would snap up some of the merino pieces from BlackOvis/Camofire and try them out as well. Great prices on them and their boxers have far outlived the FL boxers I've had/have. Bought a couple of their short sleeve t shirts to try and really like the fit of them, and they were less than $30 apiece. I think their medium weight hoody on Camofire is the most expensive and it is usually less than $60.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The piece I'm leaning towards is the Fuse QZ top in 200 weight. My thought is that the 150 is going to be about the same weight/warmth as my core crew so the 200 should be just a bit warmer than that. Never had my hands on the stuff though so I'm not sure, and the fact that they sell the 250 weight as the "Kiln" just has me a little worried that even the 200 will be too warm.

I do like the BO stuff a lot, have a bunch of their boxers. I do like camo for my main pair of pants and shirt combo...not so worried about it with extra layers.

pirogue

WKR
For those getting pieces close to each other in weight, and eventually more, make sure the brand has the weight on the tag. Main reason I quit buying Kuiu and started buying Icebreaker. If you are not a former member of the ILGWU, it's hard to distinguish between different weights, if they are the adjoining weight sizes.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
During the FL live launch, when they went over all the new items, they mentioned that the 200 weight was the ‘work horse.’ That if you could only have one weight for all climates that was the way to go.

I think 150 weight is best in a hot environment like Arizona, or under a heavier weight base layer in colder conditions.

If you’re concerned with getting too hot your best bet is to get the quarter zip to help dump heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
During the FL live launch, when they went over all the new items, they mentioned that the 200 weight was the ‘work house.’ That if you could only have one weight for all climates that was the way to go.

I think 150 weight is best in a hot environment like Arizona, or under a heavier weight base layer in colder conditions.

If you’re concerned with getting too hot your best bet is to get the quarter zip to help dump heat.

Thanks for the advice! I was 90 percent decided on the 200 qz, I'm going to place my order tomorrow!

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Personally, I wouldn't go 200wt for an elk hunt or backpack hunt in the mtns....

The 150wt stuff is perfect.
Do you know how it compares to my Sitka synthetic? That shirt is extremely light weight, which I liked in the heat of the day but I was chilly in the mornings and evenings. I've never touched 150 Merino so not sure where it is in that scale.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice! I was 90 percent decided on the 200 qz, I'm going to place my order tomorrow!

Yeah it was Ryan Callaghan who said that about the 200 weight. Not sure how familiar you are with him but he’s super knowledgeable and great friends with Steve Rinella so I trust his judgement.