Layering Thoughts for Second Season Colorado Elk

I'm putting together my gear for a upcoming 2nd season elk hunt in CO this year and wanted some feedback. For the bottom I plan to go with Black Ovis merino wool base layer and Sitka Timberline pants. For the top I plan to go with Black Ovis merino wool long sleeve shirt, Sitka heavy weight 1/4 zip fleece, First Lite Uncompahgre puffy, and a Sitka Downpour rain jacket for my outer layer. Do you think this is enough? I have been thinking of getting a vest to add some more insulation/versatility for different temps. I already have all this gear except for the Timberline pants and Uncompahgre puffy. I'm trying to buy smart and get good gear that works and try not to buy gear I will regret later down the road. Buy once cry once as they say!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes it should be enough unless you get hit with an inversion cold snap or something (talking sub zero). The mornings where I was last year were low teens but then it warms to 50s in the day, its normally a bit warmer out. Legs may get a tad chilled sitting mornings but most folks can tolerate chilled legs for a little while. Once the sun comes out and/or you get moving you won't need as many layers. Keep your boots thawed/dry will be a main consideration if its really cold so your toes don't get chilled bad.

I don't see much need for a vest in your line up (remember you'll already have a blaze vest on which depending on the material can add warmth). I prefer zip neck long sleeve shirts so I can vent a bit but otherwise my layering is similar.

I agree with Pods that what you have should be sufficient barring anything out of the ordinary happening. Which for CO 2nd season it could be sunny and 75 or in the teens and snowing. Last year during 2nd season I had snow and temps in the teens. I wore a very similar getup and was fine. A couple of things to mention to have would be good waterproof boots, gaiters, and insulated/waterproof gloves. You'll love the timberlines, most people do!

OP
T
Cool thanks for the feedback. I have been going back and forth on the gaiters. I run the Zamberlan 980 GTX Outfitter boots so my thought was that they are a taller boot and gaiters may not be needed. Sounds like I may need to rethink that. What gaiters are you guys running?

I currently run the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. There are many options out there though. I know some guys like Sitka and OR. I didn't like the Kenetreks. I'd be very interested to try the new Outdoor Vision ones.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most of the time my gaiters stay in the truck box for the areas I hunt unless there is an accumulation of snow on the ground (or its calling for it) reason being the snow works up under your pant cuff which warms and wets out the lower portion of your pants, wets your socks and subsequently wets your boots. Often I'm not in heavy grass/brushy areas, if I was I'd also consider the gaiters for morning dew and/or rain doing the same thing. I have a cheaper old pair of c4e gaiters back when they were around, they're so so.

Summary gaiters are a wise thing to have available, you don't necessarily need to have them in your pack if the terrain/weather aren't calling for them.

Kings Camo made some really nice gators that were really inexpensive, and I love them. They are super quiet, and not stiff like the Kuiu Yukons.

Black Ovis sells hooded merino base layer shirts, and something like that or a simple neck gator can really help keep you warm. You will need to wear a blaze orange hat during rifle season as well, so you might want to get an orange beanie in addition to your ball cap. It'll keep you warm and legal.