What non-hunting brands have you found for hunting that have become ‘go-to’ pieces ?

Here’s a few I use all the time for hunting, especially late season:
OR Croc gaiters
Arc’teryx Atom LT
Arc’teryx Nuclei AR (it’s a belay jacket, 100g of insulation, windstopper shell with taped seams. Great for glassing or breaks in freezing cold)
Beyond Tactical pants. They’re multi cam and soft shell. I love them
Some miscellaneous REI pieces, they’ve got pretty good base layer stuff in generally muted colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
Patagonia Field Pants are my go to pants

Lots Woolrich and Pendleton wool, they see very heavy use in hunting season

Marmot Precip raingear another go to. And a nice Marmot fleece.

OR gaiters. I have other good OR stuff, a fleece, some gloves, a dry sack. They make good stuff and offer earth tones instead of just ridiculous easter egg colors.

A few nice poly t-shirts that are like $6 at Kohls and the exact same thing as UnderArmour and Sitka etc.. The brand is like 30degrees or something like that.

A few merino wool pieces from back when Steep and Cheap had a house brand -- can't remember what it is called?

I don't buy much camo anymore, you just don't get the same quality/value. Around here you only need camo for turkeys and I don't hunt them much. I'll buy First Lite and Sitka at deep discount but their list prices are absurd.

Murdy

WKR
I use Smartwool heavyweight long johns a lot, not sure if its the heaviest or the medium, but they are great and are holding up better than some of the hunting brands I've tried.

I also have a Minus 33 wool top (insulating layer) that I really like.

Last edited:

TravisIN

WKR
Heard about them on kifarucast, the Prana Zion pants are pretty bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patagonia military windshirt
Patagonia military soft shell pants
Filson wool whipcord pants- colder weather
Nunatak Skaha Apex hooded puffy

both Patagonia pieces are sturdier than their “civilian” versions and in a hunter friendly foliage colors

Patagonia military windshirt
Patagonia military soft shell pants
Filson wool whipcord pants- colder weather
Nunatak Skaha Apex hooded puffy

both Patagonia pieces are sturdier than their “civilian” versions and in a hunter friendly foliage colors
I have been looking at surplus stores for the patigonia stuff. I have the gen III softshell Camo and goretex pants/jacket combo. I want solid colors so I can wear them on my motorcycle when I go on camping trips with it. I’ll wear the Camo but I prefer solid colors

Vids

WKR
I utilize a few non hunting brands, but the most obscure find was last year when I wanted a puffy for late season hunts. Was going to buy one and then looked at my $100 LL Bean ski jacket and thought the insulation liner in there might work. It's light, packable and crazy warm. And free. :D

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been looking at surplus stores for the patigonia stuff. I have the gen III softshell Camo and goretex pants/jacket combo. I want solid colors so I can wear them on my motorcycle when I go on camping trips with it. I’ll wear the Camo but I prefer solid colors

I know the soft shell pants and windshirt are offered in solids, others too, but not sure which ones; they (Patagonia) call it Alpha Green, but it’s a little more grey than green- pretty close to foliage

ghost338

FNG
Those of you wearing OR. What specific pieces are you wearing?
A few hunting related items:
Seattle Sombrero (rain hat)
Sequence tops and bottoms (base layer)
Transcendent down vest (layer)
Verismo hooded down jacket (layer)
Helium tops and bottoms (rain/wind layer)
Bivy (shelter)
Airpurge dry compression sack (anything you want small and dry)

OP
Tanya Avery

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I’m totally intrigued with all of the Costco mentions. Do you guys know if they have that stuff for women too?

Owenst7

WKR
I’m totally intrigued with all of the Costco mentions. Do you guys know if they have that stuff for women too?

The Merino trail socks are legit (I won't hike in anything else). They're unisex as far as I know, but they do have a thinner women's version that my girlfriend likes a lot.

The down jackets are great. I got one for my girlfriend and her sister.

Not sure about the pants. I never really check out that part of the store.

The Kirkland mixed nuts packets are 1.6 ounces packaged and 300 calories.

They have a great ultralight stretch rain jacket in men's and women's too.

The carbon poles are probably the #1 best deal in outdoor gear in my opinion.

Wow...buncha fashionistas here with all the talk of clothing. :D

Non-hunting brands I use for my hunts: Motorola. LL Bean. Arcteryx. Feathered Friends. Black Rock. Apple. REI. Snow Peak. Patagonia. Wait...I think maybe I'm a fashionista too, lol.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Duluth Trading. Get a pair!

Patagonia. Fits me well and I like to throw a few colored garments into the mix - hasn't hurt my hunting or fishing at all and makes for better photos. Kinda getting tired of seeing guys in all-drab outerwear.