What non-hunting brands have you found for hunting that have become ‘go-to’ pieces ?

OP
Tanya Avery

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
’Ice Breaker merino underwear and leggings.’

I have some Ice Breaker base layers I haven’t tried for hunting. I am going to have to put them in the rotation! Thanks for reminding me Tony

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ferossi is definitely an early season pant, a good one I might add. For me I want something a little more “beefy” past September when the days are more likely to see 50’s as highs (and freezing at night)

JWP58

WKR
Fyi mountainsteals.com has some decent deals on arcteryx stuff. Just scored an atom lt for 158 brand new (in pine)

I use Union bay and Wrangler nylon pants. I live by the USGI wool glove liners and their wool taboggin. Have for years and can't understand why anyone would buy the first light or Kuiu version when you can buy these for $5/pair. I use the Military Gen IV goretex rain gear. Light, compact, and it works. Cheap too. I bought a whole set for less then $60. I use minus 33 merino and Gen IV, level two polyester base layers. I just dye them olive green so I don't get my head blown off when wearing them in the woods. Honestly, I mostly quit buying hunting gear a while ago. It is over priced and the camo is too dark

JWP58

WKR
Fyi mountainsteals.com has some decent deals on arcteryx stuff. Just scored an atom lt for 158 brand new (in pine)

Got the atom lt today. My preliminary observations are this is probably the best made/most well thought out designed jacket I have owned (kuiu, sitka, OR, prior jackets). Should be a great piece to a layering system.

RCB

WKR
I’m glad this thread exists. I sometimes get the impression that, in rokslide world, there are only 3 or so clothing companies (fl, Sitka, KUIU...), 4 or so backpack makers (kifaru, sg, exo, mr...), 4 or so hiking boot companies, and so on. You almost get the feeling that hunting was impossible prior to the existence of $600 Kifaru bags, $400 Sitka jackets and $300 Lowa boots! Roosevelt must have been lying about all that game he bagged.

So thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.

I use tons of army surplus stuff. I never go anywhere without my woobie. The Army issue Polar-tec fleece is perfect for cooler days when you just need something more than long sleeves but don't need a heavy jacket. Army issue Gore-tex rain gear, while heavy and loud, is just about bomb-proof. Besides Army issue, I have an REI puffy that I like. Some Wal-mart and Academy brand hiking pants that work well for scouting and early archery. Ozark Trail 6 person cabin tent has been my base camp for two archery elk hunts and multiple whitetail deer hunts. This thing has withstood some rough weather and never leaked, sagged or been damaged. I also have a pair of Carhartt Flannel lined pants that I wear often during late season hunts, especially if I am going to be stalking or have a long walk. They are very warm, but light and flexible enough that I can move well in them and not be restricted, unlike if I were wearing bibs or coveralls.

OP
Tanya Avery

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I’m glad this thread exists. I sometimes get the impression that, in rokslide world, there are only 3 or so clothing companies (fl, Sitka, KUIU...), 4 or so backpack makers (kifaru, sg, exo, mr...), 4 or so hiking boot companies, and so on. You almost get the feeling that hunting was impossible prior to the existence of $600 Kifaru bags, $400 Sitka jackets and $300 Lowa boots! Roosevelt must have been lying about all that game he bagged.

So thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.

Rokslide’s platform is reviewing higher-end backpacking gear, so the focus is on brands that focus on making gear that hits that market. No one has ever said you can’t kill game without this higher end gear, we just find it does a better job at keeping us warm and dry. Of course that being said, have we found products that have done a good enough job to make their way into our hunting kits? Of course. And everyone likes to save money, because it allows us to buy more gear!!! I have my personal favorites listed in the O.P. :)

RCB

WKR
Rokslide’s platform is reviewing higher-end backpacking gear, so the focus is on brands that focus on making gear that hits that market. No one has ever said you can’t kill game without this higher end gear, we just find it does a better job at keeping us warm and dry. Of course that being said, have we found products that have done a good enough job to make their way into our hunting kits? Of course. And everyone likes to save money, because it allows us to buy more gear!!! I have my personal favorites listed in the O.P. :)

Totally agreed. No one explicitly says you *need* premium, built-for-hunters gear. But I find that the more time I spend on rokslide forums, the more I feel the need to buy this and that new item from [insert premium hunting brand here], when in fact my current gear is quite sufficient. That's mostly my own personal weakness, of course, but it also reflects how much roksliders love (/obsess over) gear. I appreciate, of course, that hunters like to support pro-hunting companies, which makes perfect sense. Just expressing my appreciation for a thread that breaks that trend.

The Beard

WKR
Even though these have already been mentioned, I just wanna throw my hat in the ring for them too!
EB Guide pro pants
Wrangler Nylon/stretch pants or whatever - Side zips both sides and from Wally-World for $20

Arcteryx Atom LT
I have 1 hooded in Crocodile and no hood in brown, both found for under $100

Patagonia Nano Puff - Bivy Style
I really like this puffy for earlier in the season since its a pullover and the zippered kangaroo pocket on the front is great.

Black Ovis Merino Blend SS/LS tees
While not really a non-hunting brand, these shirts dont get enough love! literally 1/2 the price of all the other brands and has held up really well.
I like the 50/50 blend, since it gives you all the best of both merino and synthetic. No stink and fast drying.
I pretty much only run these 1st layer now. they come in Kodiac (coyote) and Dark Grey

CAH

FNG
How are the Eddie Bauer guide pant in snow? Can they function as a late season pant with a merino layer?? Also, how quiet are they for bow hunting??

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
How are the Eddie Bauer guide pant in snow? Can they function as a late season pant with a merino layer?? Also, how quiet are they for bow hunting??

I find them plenty quiet for bow hunting. I’ve used them on foot and in a tree stand. I’ve used them with a layer underneath and they do ok. For the snow I’d say it depends on how the dwr finish is holding up. I haven’t had much luck making the finish last a long time, but if the pants are relatively new they should work fine, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brjacks

FNG
I tried on the guide pros yesterday and found them to be a little tight in the thighs, definitely too tight for a baselayer. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what pants would you recommend for someone a little bigger (6’4 255)

ccarter

FNG
Patagonia nano puff bivy- desert khaki
REI Stratocloud jacket for colder weather- olive
Kuhl Renegade Jean- tan
Nike pro combat cold weather compression shirt
ECWCS 1/2 zip grid fleece
Eddie Bauer 60G primaloft vest- orange/gray reversible
Solomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boots

But I must say, my favorite hunting pants are the sixsitegear.com Clear Creek pants in Rana Brown. Stretchy, comfortable, and seem to not pick up any burrs.

mtmuley

WKR
I have some Carhartt stuff that works well. Read labels. Plenty of affordable clothing that is made with the same type of fabric that the "big 3" are. mtmuley

JWP58

WKR
Got the atom lt today. My preliminary observations are this is probably the best made/most well thought out designed jacket I have owned (kuiu, sitka, OR, prior jackets). Should be a great piece to a layering system.

To follow up, I got back from 5 days at 10k ft chasing elk with a bow. This jacket was amazing. It was colder than usual in my archery elk spot, and I'm glad I picked this jacket up, it performed well, and the hood is fantastic.