Clothing for late season Montana hunt?

First time hunting elk or even being in the mountains. I am looking for a clothing list that won’t break the bank. I like quality gear and have some decent stuff but can’t drop $1500 on one hunt. I am not sure what to expect for a November 1-7 hunt in the mountains of Montana. How do you hike and then dry of and stay warm once you get to a glassing spot? I am from Nd so know what cold is like but we usually don’t get too sweaty to start. I’m sure the weather can vary greatly just would like to have my bases covered.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Temps can vary but from my experience in the northwest corner expect some snow and freezing temps. I will wear a medium weight pant, pack extra socks and extra shirt. Once I reach my destination the shirt is changed and socks changed then time to glass putting on one or two additional layers depending on temp and stockng cap and gloves. I will have a lightweight down coat and another layer as needed. Many options both hunting related and non. I am partial to kuiu due to weight and quality of the gear for this time of year but many good options.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not hunted Montana so this is just general info. You may need warmer stuff than what I'm recommending that far North that late.

I like First Lite Aerowool base layers next to skin. This isn't a bad place to spend a little money, they dry pretty fast, wick pretty well, and don't start stinking with sweat very fast.

Next layer out it's hard to beat fleece for your upper body. There are lots of options here. Fleece insulates and dries fast but isn't real wind resistant. For my lower body I like to skip the fleece most times and just go with Kuiu Kenai zip off pants that I don't put on until I'm in my glassing location.

Next layer for the upper body I want a puffy jacket of some kind. Again there are a lot of options here. I would take my Kifaru LPP for a hunt like that. For a budget options I've heard good things about the Costco puffy jackets. For my lower body I go to softshell pants on this layer.

Past that I like a layer for my upper body quieter than rain gear but tougher and more wind proof than a puffy. I don't like it to be heavy, a Sitka Mountain Jacket has been good for me here. It is somewhere between a wind shirt and a softshell, pretty versatile and under a pound. It also saves me from wearing my rain jacket at times.

After that it's rain gear if it's needed.

I don't wear all these layers all the time but I have them with me. I wear as few as I can get away with when walking and add or subtract them as needed. A good baklava, gloves and merino socks are also good. I like Darn Tough socks and pack a spare pair with me almost all the time. Dry socks after a long hike with a long sit expected can really help keep my feet warm.

As far as doing it on a budget keep an eye out on Ebay, classifieds on forums like this, closeout sales, and facebook groups. I put my system together over quite a few years and it's constantly changing, but I did it for around 1/3 of retail price. Camo patterns and brands don't need to match just get good quality layers that work together. When you upgrade an item or find something that doesn't work for you return or sell the old one.

mcseal2

WKR
Forgot to mention gaiters are well worth using if you might be walking through anything wet. They help keep your socks/feet dry. If there is snow I always use them, and I often use them if there is a heavy dew or after a rain.

OP
S
Thanks for all the good advice. I actually was planning on getting a good merino base, the Aerowool looks nice. I never thought of changing once to your spot. That sounds like a good idea.

I live in Missoula and this is what I typically wear that time of year. I like Kuiu for the performance but all higher end clothing companies can offer a similar system.

Kuiu Guide pants (there really is no comparrison to these pants out there, with the hip vents they just perform in such a wide range of conditions and they are pretty water resistant, dry fast and hold off the wind well unlike the guide jacket)

I don't usually wear or need merino bottoms but I always pack a ultra merino 145 zip bottom

Kuiu Yukon gaiter

Wear one pair of medium weight socks and pack one (either gore socks or darn tough boot sock cushion or boot sock full cushion)

Kuiu 240 Beanie or Sitka Jetstream Beanie (I like the 240 more due to the shape and you can hear better with it if you need to wear it while hunting)
Kuiu 145 merino neck gaiter
Baseball cap

Merino long sleeve base layer top and I usually also pack a short sleeve spare so I can get something dry next to my skin if I really get sweated up then hit by wind (I have a 2011ish First Lite with lots of natural ventilation or holes, icebreaker and kuiu). On really cold days I like to double up on merino base layer or put a sitka core lightweight over my merino which seems to perform better than a wind layer or fleece for temperature regualtion.

Kuiu Peloton 240 Hoody or Outdoor Research Ferrosi (These are my wind layer and the 240 is my fleece mid layer at the same time). I will also use the Sitka Jetstream if its going to be nasty or wet snow coming down. If its a windy day I will use the merino and ferrosi then pack the jetstream to put on as soon as I stop for any reason. Most other days I hike in just the merino and use the 240 when needed.

Puffy jacket of some sort I have a Sitka Kelvin Down UL and an old Russell L4 Lightning that I use depending on the temps and if its going to be painfully cold I pack an Eddie Bauer 800 fill down to go with one of the puffys above

Puffy pants if it will be really cold I use ArcTeryx Atom LEAF in a XXL so they can fit over the guide pants in a 34 with merino base

Gloves I don't have a great system and usually end up packing 2-3 pairs to keep my hands warm and hand warmers can be very useful if you are day hunting from a vehicle camp. I like to have a merino lightweight glove, a midweight jersyface fleece glove (manzella powerstretch or Kuiu Peloton 200), and then a heavy insulated glove like the Kuiu Northstar or Yukon Pro (used to be Kenai) and will still get cold hands more often than not. I would like to get the Kuiu superdown glassing mittens but I'm not sure how they will hold up because I would end up wearing them for more than just glassing. This coming season I plan to use a pair of Marmot leather insulated mittens with the merino or fleece gloves inside and am hoping they will keep my hands warmer.

Rain Jacket for really wet snow and the occasional rainy day

I like about a 400 gram insulated boot as well which allows for good maneuverability and still enough warmth your toes don't freeze instantly when you stop.

mcseal2

WKR
The Kuiu Glassing mittens are warm but wouldn't hold up for much more than glassing. I have a pair that's darn warm but I have to be pretty careful with them.

OP
S
One more question is if anyone knows how a jacket like the jetstream would be in cold conditions? Is it a warm jacket, like warm enough to glass in with a few layers under in say 20 degree temps?

One more question is if anyone knows how a jacket like the jetstream would be in cold conditions? Is it a warm jacket, like warm enough to glass in with a few layers under in say 20 degree temps?
Yes, Warm and cuts wind well, open all the zips and it's great when active. don't what I'd do without my jetstream

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk