The down low on Puffys/insulation.......

Looking into getting a good insulation layer, have outer, intermediate, and base layers. Current setup has kept me warm in spring bear and will do me well in early elk but come winter time shenanigans I want a puff.

There's alot of options ive come across from Kuiu, FL, Sitka, Kryptek, Cabela's, Sixsite, Kifaru parka

And I'm not brand bias I have a system that includes FL, Sitka, Kryptek

How much of a difference is there between a 600 fill vs a 850 fill?

Synthetic???? I always have my kryptek rain jacket in pack. I'll probably never wear the puff without something over it. So is the non packability of a synthetic worth it over down?

I feel like there is big Puffys and smaller Puffys? Example Kuiu has super down ultra and Pro or Kelvin jacket vs Kelvin down.

Leaning towards a smaller packable one considering my one outer layer is a jetstream. Or is there a significant gain by getting a bigger one and is the larger packable size worth the gain over something smaller

looking for input before I buy like I said there's alot of options I feel like I can't go wrong with anyone's offerings but hoping some input from everyone will push me in right direction thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There’s a YouTube video where a member on here did a very detailed comparison, I don’t have the link though. From what I’ve seen, the major difference is whether you plan to wear it while moving or only when stopping and glassing or in camp, as down generally doesn’t breathe and you’ll sweat more easily.

I planned on getting down, but elk hunting involves more movement, stopping, calling, listening, stalking, etc, so I wanted something I didn’t have to take on and off all the time. I ended up going with the KUIU Kenai and am happy with it, but it is fairly bulky. I’ve been shoving it in a small sleeping bag stuff sack to keep it from taking over the inside of my pack.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
At some point you kind of aquire one of each and learn when you want it, I have a down vest thats mountain hardware and a solid color I think 600 or 650 fill, a thin primaloft jacket from kryptek that camo, and the kuiu synthetic that's thicker quieter and has a hood. They all have their place.

If I was buying just one or a first one to start I think I'd go synthetic but like I did got a solid color in down that I wear to work most all of winter but still can go with on a hunt and worn under a shell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know your hunting style but I would get a synthetic, you life might depend on it if you are miles into the backcountry.

As far as fill levels, there is plenty of resources out the comparing different fills but in the end, you will have a plethora of jackets for every situation!

OP
mj23polaris
There’s a YouTube video where a member on here did a very detailed comparison, I don’t have the link though. From what I’ve seen, the major difference is whether you plan to wear it while moving or only when stopping and glassing or in camp, as down generally doesn’t breathe and you’ll sweat more easily.

I planned on getting down, but elk hunting involves more movement, stopping, calling, listening, stalking, etc, so I wanted something I didn’t have to take on and off all the time. I ended up going with the KUIU Kenai and am happy with it, but it is fairly bulky. I’ve been shoving it in a small sleeping bag stuff sack to keep it from taking over the inside of my pack.

Hmmmmmmm just looked the kenai is in the outlet on their site right now for 119$

My system for when cold and using a dedicated insulated layer would run a chama hoodie, traverse zip t, (insulation) and jetstream. That kenai might be right up my alley.

And without a insulation layer just with a aero t, chama, traverse, jetstream, I've been glassing in the 30s with wind on a ridge and been great but when the activity is low and it's in the teens or lower Id say I was okay but it's not a grand ol time. Another insulation layer would make it better.

Think I'm gonna have to buy and try. If it don't work for me Luckly we have this cool place we can sell and swap gear on.

Hmmmmmmm just looked the kenai is in the outlet on their site right now for 119$

My system for when cold and using a dedicated insulated layer would run a chama hoodie, traverse zip t, (insulation) and jetstream. That kenai might be right up my alley.

And without a insulation layer just with a aero t, chama, traverse, jetstream, I've been glassing in the 30s with wind on a ridge and been great but when the activity is low and it's in the teens or lower Id say I was okay but it's not a grand ol time. Another insulation layer would make it better.

Think I'm gonna have to buy and try. If it don't work for me Luckly we have this cool place we can sell and swap gear on.

Yeah that price is another reason I grabbed mine over the Super Down. FYI the Kenai seems to run one size smaller than normal. I grabbed a large, as I’m typically a medium. It fits perfect over a base layer and medium athletic fit fleece, and under my medium Ultra NX rain jacket. I’m 6’ and 165 lbs, if you’re closer to 5’8”-5’9” and around the same weight the medium would probably be fine.

Im not sure about the fill levels, but some are not meant to be layered over. I don't think the Kifaru lost park parka is meant to be layered over. I bought a Sitka, I think its the Kelvin down, its the one they say is like wearing a sleeping bag. Its not meant to wear a layer over. I have a Core4Element that I like, its a little thinner, more made to wear a layer over it. Just another thing for you to consider. I think Sitka separates them by their fit.

Owenst7

WKR
How much of a difference is there between a 600 fill vs a 850 fill?

600 cubic inches/ounce vs 850 cubic inches/ounce

Questionable benefits for a jacket/vest with 8 ounces of fill. The difference is significant for a sleeping bag with 25 ounces of fill.

I hunt with a $30 Gerry jacket from Costco that weighs 10 ounces. I haven't died yet. I don't wear it when I'm sweating (that's what fleece is for), and I wear a rain jacket over it when there's precipitation.

I have a synthetic jacket (climashield) that I use on whitewater trips, mostly because we occasionally cut a dry bag jamming them into the cargo areas of my canoe. It doesn't dry any faster than my down jackets, nor is it warm when wet, but I don't really care about it getting mildewy and it's simpler to wash.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 600 fill could be equal to or warmer than a 800+ fill depending on the quantity of down. My experience is that there is a huge warmth increase with a 800 vs 650 of equal quantity. 800 packs and recovers better too.

I only have two synthetic jackets, both are for niche situations. A synthetic kuiu because it breathes and is quite, great for hunting. The other is level 7 mil surplus parka for stupid cold, very cost effective.

Forest

WKR
how active can a guy get in a Kenai without over-heating?? Also how does it compare to sitka? Kelvin Lite?? Thanks

Construction of the Jacket and its ability to maintain loft are whats going to help with the 650 vs 800 fill weight. If you compress your 800 down with to tight of a rain jacket you will loose some of the insulation value.
Sometimes synthetic jackets can maintain the loft better than down when under compression of other layers as well.
Theres nothing wrong with up sizing the rainjacket . A baggy rain jacket helps keep the air flowing

OP
mj23polaris
Welp pulled trigger on a XL kenai, for the price and how it will be used it will be perfect I think, I can run it with my rain jacket in "warmer temps" then when temps drop I can adjust my base layers and put my jetstream over top for a nice cozy combo. And it has pit zips..... I love me some pit zips, oh and now I have a Sitka subalpine, kryptek highlander, FL fusion/ cipher/asat and now kuiu Vias......