Who owns a First Lite Catalyst jacket?

FNG
I'm about to pull the trigger but need the nudge. Anybody own this jacket and can provide their feedback?

From what I've seen it is "suppose to be" windproof but from what I've read that doesn't appear to be the case. I have a pretty solid FL system now, Llan-Chama-Halstead-Uncompaghre and a Marmot minimalist outer layer shell. Is this piece a waste? Or can I do a setup with Chama and Catalyst for a good bit and then thrown on the puffy when it gets cold? Most of my hunting is western Montana late season elk.

Last bit... windproof... what's the verdict? That's a pretty big point to me. Worst case I'll buy the Sitka Jetstream (jacket or vest) to stop some of the wind.

Thanks everyone

mcseal2

WKR
I didn't think mine was very wind proof and the sleeves are pretty slim, slimmer than I would want to layer much under it. I put mine up for sale on Ebay. It is very quiet and maybe a bow hunter or someone with smaller forearms would like the fit better. I don't feel like it will do anything I can't do with either my Sitka Mountain Jacket (louder but wind proof) or my Kryptek Dalibor II. If you put your puffy over it you might like it better than I did. Usually if I am putting my puffy on I'm going to be stationary for a while and put it under my shell. When trying stuff on with it my favorite combo was the Chama or Sitka Core LW hoody and the Ucompaghre vest or Sitka Mountain Vest under it. If I had more than that on my arms the sleeves were to tight. Hope that helps.

OP

FNG
Yeah, makes sense. That's what I was worried about... if it's not windproof I don't see a huge use for it.

I really wish FL made more windproof stuff. I just don't want to always wear my rain gear when its windy (which is always). Or am I just crazy?

mcseal2

WKR
Not crazy in my opinion. I like the Sitka Mountain jacket and vest for wind. They aren't to loud for me especially once they have broke in. They are light and a lot quieter than my rain gear. Late season if I want more I go to the Kryptek Dalibor II, I love that jacket. Later season is more day hunts when the heavier softshell makes more sense also, I'm not packing in.

sr80

WKR
I was on the fence with this jacket as well, I did go for the jetstream because they offer it in a tall size now, and I wanna see how it fits. If it doesnt fit like i want ill be ordering the catalyst.

I wore this in Alaska
Its a good set up
Definitely designed tight for bow hunters in early season

For me I didn't get it for late season tree stand hunting
It's for early season spot and stalk, Same as my saw tooth, or my guide, just a tad bit different scenario
Or different option to simular set ups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP

FNG
I wore this in Alaska
Its a good set up
Definitely designed tight for bow hunters in early season

For me I didn't get it for late season tree stand hunting
It's for early season spot and stalk, Same as my saw tooth, or my guide, just a tad bit different scenario
Or different option to simular set ups.

What are your thoughts on the Catalyst compared to the Sawtooth? I'm trying to find something windbreaker(ish) that I can wear during most of the hunt and then throw on the puffy and/or rain shell if it gets bad out.

What are your thoughts on the Catalyst compared to the Sawtooth? I'm trying to find something windbreaker(ish) that I can wear during most of the hunt and then throw on the puffy and/or rain shell if it gets bad out.

I am biased to the Sawtooth.
I feel it will be a bit warmer
It appears to be a better weather set up (rain)

The Cat has a denser feel to it, more of that soft shell, therefore I feel it is more restricting .
It may be a touch quieter, I don't know.

I will use the Sawtooth and the Guide for archery with a puffy for cold mornings.
Im pretty sure the Cat will end up for sale or used in a more casual type of situation.

I understand they were after tree stand quietness and packability as well.
I love FL, but I feel the Cat missed the gap they were trying to bridge, simply because I don't feel some gaps should be bridged.

I don't see the one piece does all.
I have most of their apparel items and each has its place.
If I am after a tree stand quiet piece, I will accept the fact that it wont be a good packable item.
I feel they added a piece that was already covered by the Sawtooth.

The Cat is a piece between the Guide and the Sawtooth, which I don't feel was a need.
If they want a quiet tree stand line then get the fleece going, forget the packability, and make it warm enough to wear over a puffy and 250 base layer and be done.

sr80

WKR
I may be wrong but I don't think they designed it as a tree stand jacket? The guy in the video is hiking spot and stalk. 😬

It was suppose to replace the original thicker heavy quiet soft shell which was designed for the stealth of tree stand hunting.

I could be wrong

Either way, it's still to bulky for me to pack for what it yields

OP

FNG
Ok, sounds like Catalyst might not be what I'm looking for. Does the Sawtooth have ANY wind resistance? I'm guessing not since it's mainly merino construction... might have to look in to a Jetstream vest/jacket.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Ok, sounds like Catalyst might not be what I'm looking for. Does the Sawtooth have ANY wind resistance? I'm guessing not since it's mainly merino construction... might have to look in to a Jetstream vest/jacket.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I just went and looked because I felt I was giving mis information. You and I are both correct. It is for technical hunting (spot and stalk ) and White tail waiting (tree stand).
Again some times merging scenarios just isn't the "best" option, though it has happened even with great success.
I just feel this isn't one of those items and suspect this part of their line up wont be around long.

To your latest question, the Sawtooth has a much better all "weather" protection capability.

I would not hesitate to wear the sawtooth in wind or rain (mild). If it was moderately cold, I would add merino(Chama) or fleece as a 2nd layer.
The Sawtooth has a coating that really helps in weather. It has 37.5 Synthetic which is added for stretchability, durability and merino for the cold and the wind.

For me the ST fits tighter than the CAT
The Cat has some fleece but to me it's too bulky and I prefer Merino/Syn for flexibility.

It all boils down to personal preference for your hunt style.

I was raised on white tail in Wisc. So I still hike around the Western mountains of Utah building ground blinds and setting tree stands.
But I do a ton of hiking so my needs still require a bit of insulation, packability, and built with breathability requirements. Both jackets claim these specs, but for me its the Sawtooth all the way.

Last edited: