What's your rain gear this year?

Lets revamp this. What's everyone using for rain gear this year? I've been on the fence between a cloudburst or the stormfront jacket. Would like to hear others opinions. Thanks!

Rwbrew3

WKR
I went with the thunderhead set, trying to get the “ SWICH “ to a min !

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite SEAK, I used the jacket last year for everything i did outside. I Live in Washington.
I was happy to see them release the pants this year & ordered them right away.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm headed to Alaska in September and bought the Kuiu Yukon pants and First Lite SEAK jacket for the hunt. We will be dropped off for 10 days in an area the outfitter has been seeing moose in, we won't know if we will be in a swamp or higher camp until we are at the hunting lodge so we have to plan for anything. The Yukon pants fit the best of those I tried, and the FL SEAK I got on a big sale when ASAT was discontinued. I'd been researching heavy rain gear since booking the hunt in 2015, but figured I'd wait to buy until this year to see what technology did. I also picked up a Sitka Cloudburst jacket at a heck of a price we might take as a back-up either of us can use if we have to. If it rains constantly it would let us give our rain jackets a day to dry out if we use it instead and rotate them. We will both have Simms waders too, likely won't need the rain pants.

When I don't need heavy rain gear it will be the Marmot Precip and Cabelas Space Rain pants that go in the pack if I think it might rain, or the Go Lite Poncho/tarp if I just think I should have something.

Around home I have a couple pairs of Helly Hannsen bibs and jackets I'll use working in a cold rain or calling predators in the snow. We haven't had to much of either in recent years so they haven't been needed in a while.

tttoadman

WKR
Outdoor Research Skyward jacket. It seems to get good reviews. It is heavy exterior fabric. I like the full side zips idea. I am tired of messing with Goretex. Rain gear is the item I struggle with the most.

Pilgs

FNG
Marmot Precip top and bottom...and I went with the full zip pants so I don't have to take my boots off to get them on.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu teton pants, Mammut masao light jacket. Don’t need the pants often or for long so it’s nice to only lug around seven ounces. Would be nice to have a more durable pant but you people won’t put any up in the classifieds

Benjblt

WKR
Marmot Precip top and bottom...and I went with the full zip pants so I don't have to take my boots off to get them on.

I've seen the Marmot Precip come up a lot. How do they hold up? It appears the inside face fabric can wear a little thin sometimes.

Benjblt

WKR
I use the FL SEAK and it has done well for me. It fits me a little baggy though and I'm thinking of going to a solid color. Mine is in Fusion.

I'm looking at the Arc'teryx Beta AR Jacket and selling my SEAK. It looks like it's a good balance of weight. I'm curios if anyone else has ever used it.

mcseal2

WKR
I've seen the Marmot Precip come up a lot. How do they hold up? It appears the inside face fabric can wear a little thin sometimes.

Personally I consider them a step above Frogg Toggs but not a long term purchase. I plan on replacing this jacket every or every other year if I use it a lot. I do stuff mine in my saddle bag, or under the seat of my UTV in a gallon ziplock though sometimes for work in the spring. I probably abuse it a little more than some. It packs pretty small and is very convenient to have for a quick hard shower so I pack it along just in case in the spring a lot. If you want long term durability I'd look at something sturdier.

Poser

WKR
Had a set of Chucagh since 2014. Works well, but I wouldn’t mind a lighter weight jacket for day use.

Rwbrew3

WKR
I have the kuiu chugach aswell and just sold the downpour, all great gear rain gear! just hoping to be a bit quieter when moving... hoping the thunderhead is what I’m looking for.