Puffy jacket.....bring it or not?

Pilgs

FNG
I'll be in the Ruby Mountains next week for my deer hunt. Is it cold/cool enough in the mornings and evenings that a puffy jacket is needed? Or will a fleece do the job until the sun heats up?

Anyone know the average high/low temps up in the mountains?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

WJS23

WKR
I would bring it they don’t take up much room and don’t weight much and they dubble as aPillow too

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I'd take it. Super light and pretty versatile. I am headed into the High Uintas next week and my puffy is coming along.

2backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
As others have stated I also always take mine even during the early season hunts, nice to have in the early morning and evening while glassing when its chilly..... Also serves as my pillow at night.

Just like my rain gear, my down puffy is always in my pack at all times.

mcseal2

WKR
I always take one, or at minimum a vest. I don't use much down since I might skip packing rain gear depending on the hunt.

If I really don't think there is a chance I'll need it I take a FL Ucompaghre vest
If I think it will be pretty warm but that I'll definitely use a puffy I'll go with a Kuiu Kenai
If I think there is any chance I'll get cold and especially wet I'll go to the Kifaru LPP

I always take at least one of those 3. I never know when I'll end up stuck out overnight or just get cold when the sun goes down and be glad it's along.

OP
P

Pilgs

FNG
Thanks for the responses. Good thoughts on using it as a pillow, too!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pilgs,
100% take it. Weather can turn on a dime up there this time of year. Heck, right now it’s cooling off in the mornings here in the valley where I wore my puffy out glassing yesterday morning.

I don't think I'll ever leave camp without my Uncompaghre. It's so light and packs so small that why wouldn't you take it?

Owenst7

WKR
I've been up there twice in the last month. I haven't been bringing mine, but I built my quilts to wrap around me while I'm glassing. It's been cool enough in the morning that I was chilled in my fleece + rain shell at first light. If I didn't have my quilt, I'd bring my puffy.

Some areas the mosquitoes are wicked. Some of the worst I've seen since leaving Alaska. I'd bring a small tube of 100% DEET if you plan on being near water for any length of time.

Bring a fly rod. The brookies will bite anything.