Klamath Hoody or Corrugate Guide Jacket?

.50 CAL

FNG
I can't decide between the two... looking for some help deciding.

If you were to buy just one, which would it be?

I'm not sure if I will like the 1/4 zip on the Klamath Hoody, but I do like that it is (hopefully) good at blocking the wind, and a little warmer.
I love the full zip, the hand pockets, and the stretch on the Corrugate Guide Jacket.

Anyone have both? Pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

I don’t think the Klamath is a wind blocker. The point of grid fleece is to allow ventilation in the grooves and insulation on the blocks. So it’s a great insulating layer but will breathe really well and allow you to dump heat if you take off anything you’re wearing on top of it. At least that’s my experience with the Halstead, Patagonia R1, and I now own the Klamath. I really like it, and I really like the concept of grid fleece in general. Wear it underneath and it’s warm af as an insulating layer or wear it alone over your base layer and it’s a good hiking piece that keeps the chill off you without overheating.

I also have the Corrugate and my plan for it is just a shell over my puffy as protection from light rain, wind, and brush busting. It’s a very light piece and I don’t expect it to be very warm. Warmth wise the Klamath will be a warmer piece for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Agreed with fightthenoie, they fulfill two different roles. I have a government issued grid fleece and a Patagucci R1 and they're my absolute favorite midlayers, but i got a Corrugate jacket this summer to layer over for spring turkeys. Plan is to wear it over the mid layers in the morning to keep the dew and thorns away from the softer insulation then just wear it over a base layer as the day warms up to provide full camo coverage and keep from leaving bits of merino wool attached to every branch in the forest.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
The grid fleece I use is my army issued polypro waffle top. It is a bit brighter than I would like tho the marine version is about the right color. Is that grid fleece comparable to the Klamath? I have been eyeing one up but have been using my waffle top for insulation for years and not sure how much is to be gained going with the Klamath.
I have also been eyeing up the guide jacket and am very interested in feedback after this hunting season

OP

.50 CAL

FNG
From the reviews I've seen I thought it "blocks wind surprisingly well". My buddy has the Kuiu Peloton 240 and he really likes it. Is the Klamath very similar to that? I think I prefer the full zip hoody on the Peloton, but I defiantly prefer to support FL where possible. Sounds like I should plan on buying the Klamath and the Corrugate Guide Jacket.

K_pem

WKR
If the purpose is blocking wind and a little extra warmth, why not consider the catalyst? If its anything like my jetstream youll be plenty warm in it.

I wouldnt write off the Jetstream/mountain/timberline jackets from sitka either. I love mine and dont go in the woods without one of those items be it the jackets or vest.

"If you were to buy just one, which would it be?"

My dude, that really depends on everything else you own. What's missing from your lineup?

Personally, I got the Klamath because my gear tote was missing a lightweight fleece and I was already planning on going all in on Catalyst tops and bottoms. Sans Catalysts, I would have gotten Corrugate tops and bottoms. If I had to choose only one...I guess I would have chosen the Corrugate because it can be ran with an SS top in the early season, whereas my Cabela's Lookout Fleece top is too much for early season.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the Klamath on a whim and fell in love with it. Soon ordered it in camo and solid so I could wear it more often. I love the fit, and the look.

It’s surprisingly wind resistant. I haven’t been in very many windy conditions yet but it ‘appears’ to me to block wind better than my peloton 240. I put appears in quotation marks because it’s really hard to objectively say that.

I did however wear both in front of a fan and the Klamath was much more wind resistant in that instance.

It’s also softer and breaths better than the peloton.

I think the peloton is warmer though, as it’s made out of heavier materials. I’m interested in testing my Klamath vs my Sitka core heavyweight.

OP

.50 CAL

FNG
If the purpose is blocking wind and a little extra warmth, why not consider the catalyst? If its anything like my jetstream youll be plenty warm in it.

Great, now I have to buy all three... :)

I was actually looking into the Catalyst and right now it looks like I will probably go that route.

OP

.50 CAL

FNG
"If you were to buy just one, which would it be?"

My dude, that really depends on everything else you own. What's missing from your lineup?

Personally, I got the Klamath because my gear tote was missing a lightweight fleece and I was already planning on going all in on Catalyst tops and bottoms. Sans Catalysts, I would have gotten Corrugate tops and bottoms. If I had to choose only one...I guess I would have chosen the Corrugate because it can be ran with an SS top in the early season, whereas my Cabela's Lookout Fleece top is too much for early season.

I am missing the midweight fleece too. I think I've got all of the merino pieces FL offers. I have a vest, and the Cirrus puffy. I feel like a need more of an outer layer now.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
From the reviews I've seen I thought it "blocks wind surprisingly well". My buddy has the Kuiu Peloton 240 and he really likes it. Is the Klamath very similar to that? I think I prefer the full zip hoody on the Peloton, but I defiantly prefer to support FL where possible. Sounds like I should plan on buying the Klamath and the Corrugate Guide Jacket.

I own the Klamath and the peloton 240. From my experience the Klamath is even more wind resistant than the peloton. It’s also a better fit for me and more comfortable.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think the Klamath is a wind blocker. The point of grid fleece is to allow ventilation in the grooves and insulation on the blocks. So it’s a great insulating layer but will breathe really well and allow you to dump heat if you take off anything you’re wearing on top of it. At least that’s my experience with the Halstead, Patagonia R1, and I now own the Klamath. I really like it, and I really like the concept of grid fleece in general. Wear it underneath and it’s warm af as an insulating layer or wear it alone over your base layer and it’s a good hiking piece that keeps the chill off you without overheating.

I also have the Corrugate and my plan for it is just a shell over my puffy as protection from light rain, wind, and brush busting. It’s a very light piece and I don’t expect it to be very warm. Warmth wise the Klamath will be a warmer piece for sure.

The Klamath is not windproof. However, it is surprisingly wind resistant. Much better than a standard fleece.

How is the fit on the Klamath? Do they tend to run longer in the torso like their new base layers ie Wick?

rwurdeman

FNG
Hey .50 Cal

Like many have mentioned they both fit two completely different roles. In my exp. a grid fleece like the Klamath is more versatile thus more bang for your buck. Again in my exp. a good grid fleece like the Klamath never leaves the pack unless it's on me. For me a great grid fleece is an essential piece whereas the guide jacket is more of an "extra" piece, cool to have and fits certain situations but most times is left in the closet.

Would the Klamath be considered a super quiet fleece? Not concerned about anything other than being able to draw my bow in total silence.

Thanks!