If you could only choose one...

Hey guys,

If you could only buy one pant to use throughout September and October which pant would you buy? I don't have a bunch of money to throw at multiple pants for this upcoming season, so with my budget I would like to buy one pant that will cover that range as best as it could and layer up as needed. I will be hunting Archery elk in September, rifle deer early October and rifle elk late October in Idaho and Oregon.

With that being said which pair of pants would you reach for?

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
If my budget was tight, I’d pick up some of those wrangler pants and spend the savings on something else (kid, wife, beer, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Niceandkozy8
Budget is not so tight that I am sacrificing something to buy the pants. I just don't want to spend multiple hundreds of dollars to buy a pair for every scenario. I would like to just buy one that can do most of it and layer up accordingly.

Trial153-thank you for the response. The Sitka Mountain pants is one of the pants I've been looking at. They seem to have the versatility to be used early-mid fall.

Jbehredt

WKR
FL Corrugates or Sitka mtns. Corrugates might be a little light in late October and the mtns a little heavy in early September. I’d have to flip a coin to choose one for both.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Patagonia soft shell pants they made from the military, they are a nice weight and durable (military wants durable :D). In warmer weather I just wear a merino boxer with them, cooler weather a light base layer, cold weather heavier base layer. Frigid cold I move up to wool pants.

The Patagonia pants are doubled in the seat and knees, have built in suspenders and a system to drop the seat without removing the suspenders, roomy cargo pockets and a good dwr

You can occasionally find them at an Army Surplus store, better bet is eBay

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll clarify. I have a stupid amount of expensive pants based on my actual needs. My most recent pant purchase is those wrangler pants I bought on amazon prime day. If I would have bought them sooner, I’d probably have fewer expensive pants that I don’t need and maybe have some other cool stuff that I don’t need.

That said - i like the corrugate guide and timberline pants, depending on temps. I don’t have the mountains, but based on comments, they seem like they’d be a nice mix between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If I could pick only one pair it would be the Sitka Timberlines. They are incredibly versatile and I can’t tell you how many times I’m wearing the Mountain pants I’m thinking I should have worn the TLs because of the waterproof seat and/or knees.

FlyGuy

WKR
I use my timberlines more than anything else. I have the EB, the Prana, and ascents; but they don't get used nearly as much on the mtn. Maybe if I were hunting Arizona or somewhere very warm/hot during the day. Timberlines may be warmer than i' d like for the 2 hours mid-day where it's above 70°, but I can push through that easy enough and highly prefer that to a thinner pant with long johns underneath.

Now, having said that, my Apex pants just arrived yesterday, and it could be my new top choice. I've only tried them on to check the fit so I have no real experience with them, but the weight feels like it is just right for September. I can't wait to try these out. 30 days to go!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Old style Cabela's Microtex. I prefer their old style Microtex Lite for archery season, but when you throw October into the mix I'd prefer the heavier regular Microtex.

Another vote for the Sitka Timberlines. I love the suspenders. The kneepads might work well for some, but I removed mine. The waterproof seat and knees work really well.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I would say the Attack pant, I don't wear my timberlines till late Oct/Nov. Find them too hot and no side vents to regulate the heat.

Attack Pant is by far the most versatile and I've used it as my only pant multiple years from beginning of September through Late November and then again starting in January through June shed hunting. The hip vents open up the temperature range and other pants simply cannot compete period. I had Mountain Pants and they were sold after two different pairs in two years that just did not breathe at all even in moderate temps and if its hot forget not suffering in Mountain Pants. Cooler weather maybe they can begin to compete with the Attack until you hike uphill hard and want to dump some heat with the hip vents and then the Attacks pull ahead again. In my mind simply no comparison between pants with hip vents and without. I think Sitka and First Lite are being ignorant not offering hip vents at this point.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Patagonia military pants also allow you to dump heat at the hips, it's more a function of the drop seat, but works great for dumping heat

Agreed on attack pants being the obvious versatile option. The new kuiu pants might be better yet but I’ve not bought them.

Until Sitka swallows their pride and adds hip vents their pant options will be inferior to kuiu IMO. I do love the new ascent pant but once you get into warmer pant options the vents make a huge difference.