If you could only choose one...

I have a pair of Skre Hardscrabbles. I use them year around here. I had them on today when I was shooting and it was 80 degrees out. The leg vents work very well. It starts getting cold in November/December here and I throw a base layer underneath and I'm good to go. And when I say cold I'm talking -20 or colder with windchill.

Regards, Branden

UA Storm pant, Wrangler performance pant, or the Union Bay travel pant. The last two are a nylon based stretchy pant. The UA pant is a polyester based Stretchy pant. If I could only have one of these, it would be the UA.

OP
Niceandkozy8
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like a lot of good options to fit my needs. I will check out the recommendations.

GetDNet

FNG
I go with Sitka ascent pants and layer underneath as needed. Had Sitka Timberline but felt too thick for all season, definitely not for when if it’s warm in sept and oct.
really depends on the style of hunting, if in a treestand where it’s mostly sitting and waiting really anything will do but if you’re hiking with a pack there’s nothing like thinner pants that won’t swamp you up.
I like the vents of the kuiu attack just never tried them, they’re next on my list.

Trial153

WKR
So far...if two were picked I counted both

Sitka Mt pants 3
Sitka Timberline 4
Wrangler 2
Cabelas 2
Prana Zion 3
First Lite corrugates 1
Patagonia 2
Kuiu Attack 5
Skre hardscrable 2
Under Armor 1
Sitka Ascent 1

I'll vote the Kuiu Attack pants. I've used them for about 7 years now and they go on every hunt. I wear Prana Zions daily and they work well as a back-up on a warmer hunt. IMO, the Attacks are quieter and do better with a little chill. With the side-zips I've been comfortable up to 80* in the Attacks. They're comfortable and stretchy enough to be used as work-out pants in winter months.

I've worn First Lite Corrugates for the last few years for everything. July scouting, late August hunting, all of September archery, all of October rifle, November muzzleloader and archery, December/January for coyotes, and all spring for bears. They work in 90* and in single digit temps. When it's cold I wear long merino underwear or waffle bottoms depending on the conditions and add gaiters for snow. I think any similar type pant would be just fine. If I'm not wearing these it would be the Sitka Mountain pants or my Rig Lights.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll chime in here. I really have fallen in love with the SKRE hardscrabble pants. If you haven't used a pant with hip vents you owe it to yourself to try some increases the comfort range of the pants greatly.I wish there was a hardscrabble with waterproof seat and knees that would be ultimate for me.
Timberline's are awesome in the cold but will sweat you out if the temps warm up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
To me it boils down to one thing - inseam length. I am 6ft but only have a 30 inch inseam.

I would like to try the Attacks but in my size the inseam is 34 inches.

I would like to try the Sitka Mountain pants but the inseam is 33 inches.

I would like to try the Hardscrabble but the inseam is 34 inches.

So I choose Prana Zions because they are the only ones that make a shorter inseam.

JWP58

WKR
To me it boils down to one thing - inseam length. I am 6ft but only have a 30 inch inseam.

I would like to try the Attacks but in my size the inseam is 34 inches.

I would like to try the Sitka Mountain pants but the inseam is 33 inches.

I would like to try the Hardscrabble but the inseam is 34 inches.

So I choose Prana Zions because they are the only ones that make a shorter inseam.

You know pants can be hemmed for pretty cheap...might be worth the hassle

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
You know pants can be hemmed for pretty cheap...might be worth the hassle

LOL yeah and I have thought about it, but paying $140 + for a pair of pants and then having to take them to be hemmed just doesnt sit well with me. The Zions do good enough for me at half the price and no alteration...I know why they dont, but it would sure be helpful if hunting pants could be purchased with specific inseams or at least not make the "regulars" in 34.

OP
Niceandkozy8
One thing I forgot to ask about the Sitka Mountain pants are their wind stopping ability. Do you find that these pants stop the wind at all? I love my Prana Zions for early season and scouting but I find as it gets later in the season the pants breathe so well that wind cuts right through them and I get cold.

For those of you that have worn the Mountain pants how are their wind stopping capabilities?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mark me down for the attack pants as well, I am in the camp of wanting hip vents for mountain active pants, esp. if I'm paying over a hundred for them. If I was shopping from scratch I'd look at those and the skre hard scrabble. In daily life I wear the shit outta eddie baurer pro guide pants but I hunt in attacks (quitter, a little thicker/warmer when needed but able to dump the heat with the vents). I've hunted them 70s down to teens with layering underneath.