Proposed Light Weight Rain Gear Test..

7mag.

WKR
I am interested to see how this comparison plays out. I just bought a Kuiu Chugach set this spring, about a week before the Yukon stuff was announced. I really want to see how it compares to the cheaper stuff. So far, I am impressed with it, but we will see how it holds up during the late season here in Washington.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
In my expereience most "good" quality rain gear will keep you dry in the rain, which is great, thats what its designed for. That said the rub lies (literally) when hiking in dense brush/alders in the rain for miles on end and start rubbing up against that brush while hiking. It seems this activity is wear all the rain gear I have tried from MH, OR, GoLite, Kuiu, Sitka, Arcteryx, and Kryptek fail. Its as if the brush forces the water through the membrane as you hike. That said the night Daniel M refers to with the hike back my upper half was mostly dry as we only have minimal hiking through anything higher than waist high alders, but the pants were soaked and I knew it would happen. I have found that the Chugach jacket will dry faster than the Koldo mainly due the slight soft lining of the Koldo which makes it more comfy to wear when dry IMO but also heavier and take longer to dry when wet. The Chugach is lighter if its dry or wet. But I firmly believe the Koldo is a more robust product than the Chugach. Both are great jackets and more than do their job in the rain. Still looking for that holy grail that will keep me dry when hiking through miles of dwarf birch and alders while not weighing 3-4 pounds for a set of rain gear.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updated list of jackets I will test:
KUIU Chugach NX
First Lite Stormtight
Marmot Precip
Mont-Bell Versalite

Both the Sitka and the Cabela's jacket I planned to review are no longer made. Trying to keep the review focussed on current stuff.
Would like to add a Core4 or a Sitka Dewpoint to the mix. Maybe some other higher end style jacket. ?? We will see how it goes. I think 5 jackets is a decent test for this pass..

n2horns

WKR
tried a shower test this afternoon with new C4E jacket and pants. Not pleased, just a few minutes in the shower and it leaked. All seams are taped including embroidered name. I wore a white tshirt and had wet spots on the front, shoulders and back. Pants did better but still had leakage.

Really looking forward to a good suit. C4E going back tomorrow.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
tried a shower test this afternoon with new C4E jacket and pants. Not pleased, just a few minutes in the shower and it leaked. All seams are taped including embroidered name. I wore a white tshirt and had wet spots on the front, shoulders and back. Pants did better but still had leakage.

Really looking forward to a good suit. C4E going back tomorrow.
Thanks. I will not explore a C4 test then. Would be nice to add the Sitka Dewpoint to my test, but not sure I'm willing to spend the $400 to do so! ;) Anyone have a Sitka contact that might be of assistance?

Lawnboi

WKR
You should definetly try the big 3

KUIU nx
Kryptek Posiden
Sitka Dewpoint

Maybe kryptek koldo and kuiu Yukon

Iv been lookin at the Yukon jacket only, im hoping its quiet enough to bowhunt in, though im still waiting on some imput on that.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should definetly try the big 3
KUIU nx
Kryptek Posiden
Sitka Dewpoint

Maybe kryptek koldo and kuiu Yukon
Iv been lookin at the Yukon jacket only, im hoping its quiet enough to bowhunt in, though im still waiting on some imput on that.

I have the below jackets either in hand or in the mail headed my way. Just seeking to add one more to make it a rounded test. The Yukon is a bit heavy for this test. (Trying to keep the test at 20oz or less jackets.) The Mont-Bell jacket is a 2.5 layer jacket that weights 6.7ozs!
KUIU Chugach NX
First Lite Stormtight
Marmot Precip
Mont-Bell Versalite

I think my preference for the last jacket would be the Sitka Dewpoint as its features more closely align with the features of the other 4. The Kryptek Poseidon would be another good one for the test. As mentioned earlier my goal is build a test using a system that allows folks the ability to change the %s I apply to a given criteria and replicate the test with other jackets. I'm sure the group hear will tweak the test a bit too, so hopefully the end results will be really useful to us all. I appreciate all the help in getting this going, both from the forum and First Lite and KUIU.

BigDog00

WKR
I'm a little disappointed to hear the results with the Core4 gear. I have a lot of their clothing and was planning on adding their rain jacket/pants to my arsenal this winter. I'll be watching this closely to help me decide which route I want to go.

n2horns, do you think the leakage came from the seams or just the material in general?

n2horns

WKR
C4E seemed more from the seems than the material itself. I was only in the shower a few minutes and was wet. I sent everything back to camofire and am disappointed with the rain jacket/pants. The fabric and fit was great was was really stoked on how it fit with layers underneath.

Not sure if there is a way to self retape everything or spray the jacket with waterproofing.

n2horns

WKR
Last year when glassing from the roads I wore the Bass Pro qualifier jacket/pants and that kept me dry, but super heavy meant for fishing not packing. It worked well at the road/truck.

BigDog00

WKR
How would trying to to seal the seams on any "waterproof" clothing affect the material/look/dexterity/etc? I'm talking the silicon-paint thinnner and applied with a brush method.

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely looking forward to this test. Been looking to get some good rain gear. Like 7mag said Washington late season can get a little wet.

Mike7

WKR
I would love to see you add in the Core4 rain gear also. I have a set, and with albeit limited field testing, it has so far worked well. I wonder if the above experience was a bad sample or I am doomed to not be too pleased soon? It is very light for how well it has held up so far, and is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of many of the above gaments...and it would be interesting to see where it fits in your lineup.

I have washed mine in the DWR Nixwax treatment stuff, but not sure if that has produced the difference in its performance? I used the Core4 rain top for more than 2 hours of walking through wet alders in N. ID this weekend and my previously wet merino wool shirt actually slowly dried out. I have not had a chance to submit the Core4 rain pants to walking through wet brush yet so have no idea how they would hold up.

On a side note, so far (in limited field testing) the Kuiu Yukon gaiters have overall worked well, but I have noted interestingly that in the hot weather (wore the Yukons because I forgot my soft shell gaiters) the lower tougher "double material" portion of the Kuiu gaiters around my boots was really impermeable to water vapor causing wet boots. My boots are waterproofed leather, so no big deal, but the lower portion only seems to be less breathable so far than my "old gold standard" Outdoor Reseach Croc gaiters.

n2horns

WKR
Maybe I got a bad new batch, who knows. I would love for someone or C4E to donate a sample for testing. I like their gear, reasonable and since it's in mountain mimicry, that's a big bonus for me. If the C4E holds up, I'lll reorder another set.

Now I love the look of First Lites rain jacket, which they made a light weight pant to match the jacket.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I got a bad new batch, who knows. I would love for someone or C4E to donate a sample for testing. I like their gear, reasonable and since it's in mountain mimicry, that's a big bonus for me. If the C4E holds up, I'lll reorder another set.

Now I love the look of First Lites rain jacket, which they made a light weight pant to match the jacket.
I received the First Lite Jacket today. Initial out of the box view is very positive. It just feels well made, if that makes sense. Zippers slide smoothly and solidly. Bunch of little things that I like. Its got a nice stretch to the material, reminds me of the old Chugach line, yet different. So hard to tell when its fresh new and no field time.??? Heading out Friday so I'll get a chance to test her out. Then run it through the test gauntlet and see how she holds up. I did hear a rumor that pants are in the works, so if the test results push ya to the Stormtight, pants could be an option someday soon. ;)

rodney482

WKR
I use TNF Venture.. Light, pitzips and $95

Its not camo but after a week of thunderstorms I was dry.

Looking forward to the firstlite review, my buddy used their puffy (temps were in 30's) it was far warmer than my Spindrift.

I ended up wearing a firstlite llano, Spindrift, Sitka Ascent and my Venture.. I was warm and dry.

E30A5BDB-3029-4A75-AF50-A5241FB8952D-322-0000001A3AD14309_zps4797b5b3.jpg

10E26D49-9189-4B22-AC53-F2BCF553FEDE-322-0000001A14F70E82_zps34910735.jpg

Highcountry you know what the Stormtight weighs. They don't list much about weight or how it packs down on the website.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Highcountry you know what the Stormtight weighs. They don't list much about weight or how it packs down on the website.
First Light told me a large weighs in at 18oz. I have yet to weight the size Medium I received.
Here is a pic I pulled off of a First Lite video. packedup.jpg

It will take some time to do the full review as I am trying to be fairly comprehensive and 4-5 jackets will take some time. I'll post updates / thoughts as they come out through the process. I'll work to add in some videos and pictures to the final product.

One point I will make now is that First Lite should update their website with more info on the jackets. Weight, pack ability info, additional pictures, etc. Lot of things to take care of for a small company though. ;)