Proposed Light Weight Rain Gear Test..

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one thing in particular for the most part. Curious how they all held up over time, if waterproofing remained consistent or faded, if any other jackets have jumped out at you since this article.

I suppose specifically/selfishly, I'm looking at perhaps a Kuiu Teton or one of the newer updated Poseidon jackets as the lower ratings should be fine for the occasional rainy New Mexico day and weight/packability is more important. But as a nickel & dime kinda guy, I'm curious if the lighter 2.5 jackets would hold up fine to years of packing and occasional use.

Thanks for the reply!

I had such good luck with the Sitka Dewpoint that its been my #1 choice for light weight rain gear. I've tested a few other options and pondered a few others, but have not been tempted to move away from the Dewpoint for light weight pursuits. BUT, if you are in New Mexico I am assuming your rain storms are different than what we face here in Alaska. I can potentially spend an entire 10 day hunt in rain gear. My assumption is that you get off and on storms over a similar period, am I correct? If so, the lighter weight material might work for you as you wouldn't be living in it like we do up here. Does that help?

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I had such good luck with the Sitka Dewpoint that its been my #1 choice for light weight rain gear. I've tested a few other options and pondered a few others, but have not been tempted to move away from the Dewpoint for light weight pursuits. BUT, if you are in New Mexico I am assuming your rain storms are different than what we face here in Alaska. I can potentially spend an entire 10 day hunt in rain gear. My assumption is that you get off and on storms over a similar period, am I correct? If so, the lighter weight material might work for you as you wouldn't be living in it like we do up here. Does that help?

It does in that it tells me that the Dewpoint is likely overkill for me, hahah. Tough to justify the 300+ price point with the thought that I'd likely use it a handful of times during the average fall hunting season (and for short durations) . Might see occasional use during summer monsoons if I keep it packed in my car bag.

I'll have to look into the changes made to the Poseidon over the years. Wish Kryptek did a better job of "selling" their items in their descriptions. Especially when an item is changed from one year to the next.

Thanks again for the reply! I appreciate your time.