Kuiu and FL Layer Questions

I'm looking for some help on layering for an archery hunt in CO at the end of the month.

I have the following Kuiu layers to pick from:
Teton SS
Teton LS
Teton LS 1/2 Zip T
Guide DCS Vest
Guide DCS Parka

I'm adding these layers:
Ultra Merino 125 LS or Ultra Merino 145 LS QZ
and
Peloton 240 Hoody or FL Kiln Hoody

I think I like the UM 125 LS over the 145 for warm weather flexibility, but without having used either, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes. I don't necessarily need it for warmth, so I guess that's why I'm thinking the lighter one. I'm interested in opinions on this.

I like the FL Kiln Hoody better because it's quieter and not as bulky and frankly I want to try First Lite anyways, but I also understand one is synthetic and the other is merino. I'm interested in opinons between these two options also.

I also have some North Face fleece shirts, which are fairly warm when layered.

As far as layering goes, my head is spinning between synthetics and merinos and blends and breathability and this works or doesn't work with that, etc...

So my question is out of the layers that I have and the 2 I'm leaning towards adding (the 125 Ultra Merino and FL Kiln Hoody), what combo of layers should I be taking to the field for a backpack hunt? Does a Teton SS or LS (poly) work well under the 125 Ultra Merino or is it better to just start with the Ultra Merino and skip the Teton shirts? Does a Teton 1/2 Zip (poly) "work" like its supposed to over the 125 Merino? Does the combo of 125 Merino, Teton 1/2 Zip and FL Kiln Hoody perform like it's supposed to or am I messing up the order of wools vs synthetics?

For cold conditions I will probably have an insulated vest that I like and the Guide DCS parka, however, I'm curious which insulated layer (for backpacking) would be best to add to my lineup and may eliminate the combination of vest and parka.

Last, I use Kuiu Attack pants and have what I'd call a light-mid weight merino/poly blend duofold longjohn. I'm considering the FL Aerowool 150 Wick 3/4 pant. Would it be overkill to have both layers or would the Aerowool be sufficient as a base layer under the Attack pant. I know the Aerowool is designed to wick, but how warm do they keep you?

I tend to get cold sitting still and this is an archery mule deer hunt, where I suspect we'll be doing quite a bit of glassing, but will also be moving around a fair amount. I also know I'm probably analyzing this to death, but I tend to do that.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the 145 has a 1/2 zip option, 125 doesn’t. I found the 125 a little warm, wished I had got the 145 1/2 zip. I had two different teton 1/2 zips, they performed like any mid weight fleece but have a deeper zip and a more taylored fit. I had to toss out my teton because of some burrs that embedded in it so I’m trying out the peloton 97 hoodie over an icebreaker ss merino. I will also be hunting Colorado in September.

OP
wdsmhunter
Yeah the 145 is offered in quarter or half zip and the 125 in crew only (I think) and those are the two I have, but I’m sending one back. So the Teton material is breathable enough to allow the merino base to do its job?

Any thoughts on wind resistance of the Peleton 240 vs FL Kiln? Regardless I still like the quietness and compactness of the kiln.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the 145 is offered in quarter or half zip and the 125 in crew only (I think) and those are the two I have, but I’m sending one back. So the Teton material is breathable enough to allow the merino base to do its job?

Any thoughts on wind resistance of the Peleton 240 vs FL Kiln? Regardless I still like the quietness and compactness of the kiln.

I did use the teton 1/2 zip over the 125 pretty consistently for 8 days during a November hunt. Yes the combo worked well.

Can’t speak to your second question as the kiln is very new on the market. I think of the peloton 240 as an alternative to the teton zip for warmth. Both are the same fabric weight. 240 if wind is a concern, teton if you need it to breathe a little better.

I don’t have any experience with any other teton shirts. I do remember their product descriptions having them as a little heavier than comparable peloton and merino.

codym

WKR
In my opinion it's more about your body, how you hunt, how many days you will be wearing the garment and how many pieces you will be bringing. For me I thought about going to synthetics because I sweat alot and wool takes longer to dry. The problem is the synthetic ends up stinking right away even though it dries quicker. I decided to stay with the merino and just bring two or three shirts and hanging them out to dry for a day. I hate smelling myself all day and the merino is much better at not stinking. I can't help you with Co. I hunt archery in NM and it's always warm so I'm more concerned with staying cool and dry than being warm. Theres trade offs with the two types of material you just need to decide what matters most to you. I have really high hopes for the FL wick but I haven't been able to get my hands on any, a fast drying merino would be awesome!

In my opinion it's more about your body, how you hunt, how many days you will be wearing the garment and how many pieces you will be bringing. For me I thought about going to synthetics because I sweat alot and wool takes longer to dry. The problem is the synthetic ends up stinking right away even though it dries quicker. I decided to stay with the merino and just bring two or three shirts and hanging them out to dry for a day. I hate smelling myself all day and the merino is much better at not stinking. I can't help you with Co. I hunt archery in NM and it's always warm so I'm more concerned with staying cool and dry than being warm. Theres trade offs with the two types of material you just need to decide what matters most to you. I have really high hopes for the FL wick but I haven't been able to get my hands on any, a fast drying merino would be awesome!

Agree 100%. I absolutely hate being hot and smelling like a locker room/hobo camp for a week. This is new clothing for me but I’ve been testing it all year.

Smartwool PhD ultralight merino shirt, taking both long and short sleeve. Depending on temps, one will be worn hunting, the other will stay in camp to change into at night.

KUIU ultra merino 145 zip off base layer bottoms. I don’t expect to wear these a ton, but I plan to sleep in them and wear them in the mornings until it hits 50 or so, then they easily come off and fit in my pack.

North Face Flash Dry 1/4 zip lightweight fleece. I’ve owned this awhile and it’s one of my favorite pieces of clothing. It’s light enough to hike in if you aren’t really pushing it, but adds a lot of warmth and wind protection. It’s synthetic and will hold a bit of an odor, but it’s really mild and if you’re sweating a lot, just take it off.

KUIU Attack pants. I was initially worried about these being too warm after training hikes from 75-95 degrees, but they do vent well, and if it’s that hot you’re sweating even in shorts. They don’t pick up any odor after a week of use, which was really impressive to me.

KUIU Kenai hooded jacket. I was planning on the Super Down, but with the stop and go nature of elk hunting I didn’t want something I’d constantly be taking on and off. This jacket is breathable and has pit zips, the down side is it weighs twice as much and takes up a lot more room in your pack. It is super cozy though, I’m looking forward to wearing it, and it’s quiet also.

KUIU specifies the Peloton 240 gear as being wind resistant. Merino is generally considered about as wind-resistant as bare skin. If you want to eliminate a wind resistant outer layer from your loadout and aren't worried about rubbing against trees and brush, I would consider the Peloton 240. If you intend on taking a dedicated outer layer for protection, and think you'll need the stink protection of back-to-back merino layers, I'd go with the Kiln.