Camo vs no camo

Vangysway

FNG
I'm sure this question has been answered and I've read some different threads on other websites that claims camo does not matter when hunting ungulates, but wanted to hear successful bow hunters thoughts on the subject?

I live in California and a lot of my access points are shared with hikers, bikers, and the like. I'm proud to be in pursuit of wild animals, but would rather not deal with every person I pass stopping and asking me questions.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

There are scenarios where it can be beneficial, but it's a long ways from necessary. Keeping your visual profile low has more to do with movement, cover, and lighting than camouflage. Relying on camo to make up for the rest will leave you busted.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG
There are scenarios where it can be beneficial, but it's a long ways from necessary. Keeping your visual profile low has more to do with movement, cover, and lighting than camouflage. Relying on camo to make up for the rest will leave you busted.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I figured as much. Thank you...

I like camo as it fools my family and neighbors into thinking I'm a woodland Ninja.

However I get limited effectivness against ungulates at close range...

I will say my ASAT leafy suit is amaze-ballz at breaking up my outline out in the open where anything less would probably have gave me away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Wearing camo is very beneficial to me. I've had squirrels and turkeys bust me when not wearing it and spooking the deer as they made my presence known.

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG
Wearing camo is very beneficial to me. I've had squirrels and turkeys bust me when not wearing it and spooking the deer as they made my presence known.

That certainly makes sense for turkey and squirrels, but good to hear about your experience with deer as well. Thanks for your time and input.

tracker12

WKR
I’ve taken a lot of deer on my way home from work in none camo clothing out of an urban tree stand location. I doubt I’ll ever but another pair of camo pants

jspradley

WKR
For some reason I usually end up wearing solid pants and a camo shirt... I think I own one pair of camo pants. lol

Quality of gear is way more important than any camo IMO

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I live in California and a lot of my access points are shared with hikers, bikers, and the like. I'm proud to be in pursuit of wild animals, but would rather not deal with every person I pass stopping and asking me questions.

Even without the camo, the bow might be a dead giveaway and bring on the same questions as well.

As for effectiveness, I routinely will wear solid shirts for bowhunting. My pants are camo because they are the most comfortable pants I own. Last year my daughter was wearing a bright orange hat and bright orange vest when she shot her bull at 30 yards with a ML. It wouldn't have made any difference if she'd shot him with a bow instead. Although she did have camo pants on.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Movement, scent, and concealment trumps everything else.

If you want to sit out in a wide open area and not stick out like a sore thumb, camo may help depending on the species.

Ungulates key in on movement and scent immediately.

I've stood dead still behind a tree when hunting whitetail after being busted and it eventually started feeding and then bedded down 30 yds away. I'm sure if I moved it would have ran. It was in snow, so camo or solids, either way my figure stood out against snow.

I doesn't hurt, but wear what's comfy and what works for you.

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG
Listen to some of Donnie Vincent's interviews on the subject.

Funny timing as I did so last night. I'll take his word for it.

Even without the camo, the bow might be a dead giveaway and bring on the same questions as well.

As for effectiveness, I routinely will wear solid shirts for bowhunting. My pants are camo because they are the most comfortable pants I own. Last year my daughter was wearing a bright orange hat and bright orange vest when she shot her bull at 30 yards with a ML. It wouldn't have made any difference if she'd shot him with a bow instead. Although she did have camo pants on.

Good point, but packing in I usually have it strapped to my pack. Appreciate the rest of your insight. Thank you.

Movement, scent, and concealment trumps everything else.

If you want to sit out in a wide open area and not stick out like a sore thumb, camo may help depending on the species.

Ungulates key in on movement and scent immediately.

I've stood dead still behind a tree when hunting whitetail after being busted and it eventually started feeding and then bedded down 30 yds away. I'm sure if I moved it would have ran. It was in snow, so camo or solids, either way my figure stood out against snow.

I doesn't hurt, but wear what's comfy and what works for you.

Duly noted. Thanks a bunch. I think I've made up my mind to dump the camo.

Why would you "dump the camo"? It can't hurt, and since you already have it, you have to hunt in some type of clothing. Is it Sitka? I will take it off your hands if you want to part with it.

My dad and I drew Utah CWMU elk tags back-to-back in 2015 and 2016. The first year we tracked a herd of elk in timber while wearing solid colors for over an hour and were not spotted by the herd. My dad had on blue jeans, the guide had blue jeans and a black shirt and I wore camo.

The next year when I drew the same tag, I wore a solid color shirt and Kryptek pants and the guide wore blue jeans and a black shirt. Both years we had multiple branch antlered elk at spear chucking distance and we both killed elk. I've since changed to wearing mostly solids.

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG
Why would you "dump the camo"? It can't hurt, and since you already have it, you have to hunt in some type of clothing. Is it Sitka? I will take it off your hands if you want to part with it.

I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I would just rather have my technical clothing be solids and usable year round. I'll buy some cheap camo for turkey, and learn to be a good hunter otherwise.

When hunting ungulates, 90% of the time I have a camo top and solid colored pants. I try to match the color of the pants as close to the terrain I am hunting, which also varies by season. I have tested this with hunting buddies taking photos of me at various distances and it seems to work very well. Playing the wind and moving slowly are much more important IMO, but a camo top definitely helps.