Convince me my Woodbury is too bulky and heavy for CO 2nd rifle backpacking hunt

ChrisAU

WKR
So I bought a Woodbury for stand hunting when the temps drop here at home. I like it so much I want to take it to CO this year. We are expecting temps to be as low as the teens at night. I have two merino base layers, and Uncomphagre vest, and a Cirrus puffy. Would i ever wish I had brought the Woodbury if I had all 4 of those layers on?

FURMAN

WKR
You could not pay me to take that on a backcountry type hunt and I would not bring a vest either. I would run base layers, mid layer, and a slightly heavier puffy like the LPP or Uncompahgre puffy and a light rain shell depending on the season and area.

Kotaman

WKR
You could not pay me to take that on a backcountry type hunt and I would not bring a vest either. I would run base layers, mid layer, and a slightly heavier puffy like the LPP or Uncompahgre puffy and a light rain shell depending on the season and area.

Yep...

Sadler

WKR
ChrisAU, it’s either that or the spare rifle lol. But seriously, you don’t want to take the Woodbury. It’s way to bulky and heavy for what you’re wanting to do, IMO. I have the chamberlain but haven’t used it yet. Seems like it’ll be an awesome jacket though. But from all the solid products Kifaru makes, I don’t think the LPP will disappoint you. I’m sure plenty of people on here would agree.

My Woodbury is packed up but I think it weighs 4 pounds without the hood. I sweat in it any time I move.

Wouldn’t be my first choice for a backpack hunt.

Yeah I’m just thinking of a jacket for glassing or sitting at camp.

I am a big fan of hunt what you have. You could shave weight with a new puffy but the Woodbury is a hell of a jacket, just heavy for its warmth in a backpacking role. You could also throw a woobie or sleeping bag over yourself while glassing if it is cold. Lots of ways to make it work without buying new gear or...maybe a good reason to buy new gear.

Btaylor

WKR
I am a big fan of hunt what you have. You could shave weight with a new puffy but the Woodbury is a hell of a jacket, just heavy for its warmth in a backpacking role. You could also throw a woobie or sleeping bag over yourself while glassing if it is cold. Lots of ways to make it work without buying new gear or...maybe a good reason to buy new gear.

Is there a bad reason to buy new gear???

jspradley

WKR
The Woodbury is a fantastic piece if you are stationary.

I ended up chasing a cow elk in NM wearing mine and walked about 100 yards before I had to take it off... its WAY too hot if you are going to be moving around.

I personally wouldnt take it on a backpacking hunt, it's stupid heavy and takes up a lot of pack space.

But with that said, for stationary hunting is the tits!