Would this be a good softshell jacket for backcountry hunting?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Everyone’s backcountry is a little different. But if I’m staying the night in the woods I will not pack a soft shell. But if day hunting in the snow I do like wearing a soft shell. For years I used the Sitka Jetstream. But last year I tested the First Lite Catalyst. I find it just as warm as the Jetstream but much lighter. OR makes great clothing, buy it and tell us how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am with Ryan in that everyone has a different mindset on soft shells... : )
Soft shells are great tools, IMHO. However, its all about picking the right soft shell for the task. Some shed water, some don't breathe at all, some are HIGHLY breathable, some are wind proof, some are heavy, some are light, some are tough, some are fragile... Soft shells are a confusing world of options, sort of like rain gear....... Its all about picking what you want feature wise, and then finding the right mix of features to match your intended use...

I've tested a few and written about a few (Soft Shell Bonanza - Rokslide) and usually always have one handy.

OR makes some great products, the Ferrosi line is a popular one (Men's Ferrosi Hooded Jacket - coyote/fatigue | Outdoor Research) and I know a few hardcore hunters who swear by the Ferrosi. Its a bit heavier than the Tantrum, but at less than 5ozs that Tantrum is an intriguing option.

I tend to get cold when sitting, and find that the right light weight soft shell does a good job of keeping me just warm enough. My favorite soft shell is the 2014+ version of the now discontinued Sitka 90% Jacket. It was the year they revamped it and I really liked that new version. They now have the Timberline, and while it sheds water better its a little louder than the 2014+ 90%. I don't have much experience with the First Lite Catalyst, but it looks like a well thought out jacket.

What are you asking the soft shell to do for you?

FreeRange

WKR
I wouldn't classify that as a true soft-shell more of a wind shirt which OR's webpage description seems to echo. I don't like true soft-shell jackets as I find they're just too warm for about any time I am hunting. I really do like wind shirts and this would be a good fit if that's what you're after. I would venture to guess this thing wouldn't be as warm as a Jetstream though I've never used a Jetstream. The Ferrosi would probably be a closer comparison. My general rule is if it's going to be below freezing at least a few hours each day I take the Ferrosi. Otherwise I take a wind shirt that weighs about half of what the Ferrosi weighs. If there is close to zero chance of rain or if it's very warm and typical summertime thunderstorms are all I can expect I'll forego a rain shell as these wind shirts offer a marginal degree of protection against moisture. The Ferrosi does well against very cold dry snow.

Hope that helps.

LitenFast

WKR
Just spent 13 days in the Brooks Range chasing sheep and never took off my Ferossi hoody, would definitely bring it next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I am with Ryan in that everyone has a different mindset on soft shells... : )
Soft shells are great tools, IMHO. However, its all about picking the right soft shell for the task. Some shed water, some don't breathe at all, some are HIGHLY breathable, some are wind proof, some are heavy, some are light, some are tough, some are fragile... Soft shells are a confusing world of options, sort of like rain gear....... Its all about picking what you want feature wise, and then finding the right mix of features to match your intended use...

SO your saying soft shells are a lot like women??!! lol

What am I asking the softshell to do for me?

I have Kuiu insulated coat, that is more like a midlayer, the Kenai i believe it is. Definitly not water proof, and when i wore it whitetail hunting last year in cold temps with a thin coat over it, it was very warm however. I guess I would want a softshell to sheild the widn and rain, but would I be better off just going straight rain gear for that?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the amount of rain... Lots of rain, then yes rain gear. Light sprinkling, then a water resistant soft shell with a windstopper lining might be a good option for you. If you are using it even for a light rain fall I would lean toward one with a hood....