Under Armour vs wool

I've come to realize it's far more important to me to be dry and comfortable, then it is if I stink or not. Regardless what bases you wear, you will still stink and have to hunt the wind.

Those are exactly my feelings on the issue. To each his own I guess. I also use capeline base layers.

OP
P
Thanks everyone for there input. Will be going to 100% wool. Maybe Santa will leave some under the tree!!

Backpacking light did a study on wool vs. synthetic base layers drying time, and they found that the wool base layers dry about 50% slower than the synthetic ones (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/497...weight-wool-and-synthetic-base-layers-2-2-meg). The difference is not that significant with base layers because they are so thin, but it increases exponentially with increased thickness. I used to wear nearly all wool, and I had way too many instances where my clothing would get wet on day one of the trip, and would still be wet on day three

That makes sense. I used to wear army surplus pants that'd stay wet for a week. I guess I assumed we were talking about base layers since it was comparing to UA. I always wear synth pants... mostly because wool chapped my ass and was too hot.

Joe

2rocky

WKR
I've been a big devotee of the UA cold gear, and added Merino lately. When I am doing trail runs in the rain the tight fitting UA doesn't chafe and I don't get chilled by the wind. In humid conditions I've had the Merino wick as well so there are water droplets on the exterior. The weave seemed to allow wind through more, and it doesn't slide as well under layers.

That said, for hunting, I'm leaning on the merino more as an upper half layer, while still using UA cold gear on my bottom half. The scent difference between the two pieces is marked after 3 days.

If I find i need to layer wool and Synthetic, I put the UA next to skin and merino over with good results.

THey both have their place in my arsenal.

I've come to realize it's far more important to me to be dry and comfortable, then it is if I stink or not. Regardless what bases you wear, you will still stink and have to hunt the wind.

Agreed to an extent... I am not worried about smell because I'm under the delusion that game will smell me less... I still hunt the wind, i just don't like to smell like barf all the time.

Solitude

WKR
I am sure people will disagree, but merino wool itches on my back and it's not because I bought the cheap stuff. (Tried three different major hunting manufactures) I keep trying to make the top work, but fall back to synthetics every time. Wish it were not true due to the stench factor, but for me it is.

For some odd reason the bottoms in merino work great and are comfortable for me. To each their own.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It's OK to disagree. Not everything works the same for everybody.

Shoot, I even use a Steripen. ;)

I went through a number of different merino brands before finally finding one that doesn't itch in First Lite. Now I prefer the FL stuff, primarily because (like Joe) I don't like my own stench on day 4 in the woods. I also like that it still insulates a bit when wet.

As far as synthetics, I still have, and occasionally use, Capilene MWs, because the stuff wicks and dries fast. I wish it came from a hunting industry company, though (or Patagonia could just openly support hunters...)

I totally agree that Capilene is in a class of its own as far as the synthetic base layers go.

some of the heavier stuff makes me itch too but the lighter weight does not. would think a wool/poly blend would be good next to skin then heavier wool on top of that, kinda like a silk liner sock then wool for the feets. have found the patagonia tee shirts to be the softest and they are my favorite hot weather wear here in the south...

2ski

WKR
So this is the first year I've used merino. Like it so far. My question: does your merino not have any smell? It took me half a day to figure out where the smell was coming from but when I start to sweat, my first lite top smells like wet dog or dog breath something. I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of but if its wet (out of the washing machine too) it smells.

I use both the under armour and the merino (first lite) and they both have their pros and cons. I use my under armour for non backpacking hunts, trips where space weight isn't an issue. I use the merino on these trips as well but I have found the ua to be much tougher. On backpack trips it's all merino though for all the reasons listed above. The only con to merino is I have found it to be kinda of delicate. I have worn holes in all my merino pants from what I would consider medium to light use. So that's why I use both the ua for toughness but when being able to pack 3 sets isn't an option the merino is the best option. Underwear is an exception however I tried merino boxer briefs and wasnt impressed. I would use exoffico or other performance type, I have used Adidas climalite with success

So this is the first year I've used merino. Like it so far. My question: does your merino not have any smell? It took me half a day to figure out where the smell was coming from but when I start to sweat, my first lite top smells like wet dog or dog breath something. I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of but if its wet (out of the washing machine too) it smells.

mine too. wet dog is my best analysis. iin the late season its a good reminder to me, take off a layer/slow down as im getting damp haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Its not a wet dog smell.....IT'S WET SHEEP YOU'RE SMELLING:) DUH!

I had never had a problem with my black FL Llano when wet, but this year I wore a camo one. The first day I wore it, it was hot out so that's the only top I had on. It started sprinkling a bit and by the time it was fairly wet I started smelling what seemed to be an open sewer pipe in the wilderness. Took me a little while to figure out it was my merino top. Now that explains the smell in the washing machine at home when I washed it beforehand. I ended up pouring bleach through the washer thinking the drain pipe had backed up. Maybe that's the best cover-scent yet, the elk will never figure it's a human. On the other hand, I've never seen an elk that likes sheep.......wet or dry.

I've never had a problem with my merino drying quickly. My back is usually soaked from wearing the pack. I can take off the pack and sit there for a few minutes with the wind blowing across me and it feels pretty dry when I put the pack back on. Or an all-day sweat hiking, and it's dry by evening.

2ski

WKR
Its not a wet dog smell.....IT'S WET SHEEP YOU'RE SMELLING:) DUH!

That's kind of what I figured but until the day I find a wet sheep to smell I got nothing to compare it to. Thanks Aron. Glad to know I'm not crazy.

It hasn't made me feel I should slow down but it has made me cognisant that I have a little more tinkering to do with my layering based on the weather. Dont get me wrong, I was comfortable, but my sweatshirt was wet too. The merino baselayer /poly sweatshirt combo I went to this winter is warmer than the ua baselayer/chamois shirt combo I used to go with. I'm honestly considering finding some quiet (probably heavier because of that) rain gear to wear over my baselayer only. This would serve to block any wind yet allow a little heat to build up just hopefully not over heat. Lets face it when you're trudging through snow in the timber late season you're going to heat up. Even if its fairly cold. But I don't know if just a merino baselayer is enough.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's kind of what I figured but until the day I find a wet sheep to smell I got nothing to compare it to. Thanks Aron. Glad to know I'm not crazy.

It hasn't made me feel I should slow down but it has made me cognisant that I have a little more tinkering to do with my layering based on the weather. Dont get me wrong, I was comfortable, but my sweatshirt was wet too. The merino baselayer /poly sweatshirt combo I went to this winter is warmer than the ua baselayer/chamois shirt combo I used to go with. I'm honestly considering finding some quiet (probably heavier because of that) rain gear to wear over my baselayer only. This would serve to block any wind yet allow a little heat to build up just hopefully not over heat. Lets face it when you're trudging through snow in the timber late season you're going to heat up. Even if its fairly cold. But I don't know if just a merino baselayer is enough.

Keep in mind that the heat retention in merino is much higher than synthetic when they are damp.

So when your body cools, the synthetic will chill you and the merino will keep you warm (somewhat anyway).

the kryptek merino is awesome... my layer of choice, love the extra venting under the arms....have had kuiu as well. only tried first lite on in cabelas... no itch on my skin. wore it as a base layer ever since they put it out. it has been my base layer for every temp range with great results. i will never use any other type of material for this after seeing how it works compared to synthetics...arons spot on regarding the chill with synthetic. after exerting mass energy then relaxing synthetics become chilly to me, my sweat feels like a nasty layer next to me, i can feel the beads of sweat run down my back with them.....merino has not felt like that to me in any temps yet and dries in no time... i live in washington state and fully trust this layer.... it keeps my mind on other things than how this piece of kit isnt working, stuffs bomber..........

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the heat retention in merino is much higher than synthetic when they are damp.

So when your body cools, the synthetic will chill you and the merino will keep you warm (somewhat anyway).

I know that's what people say, but I am yet to see any study supporting that. My experience has been that they lose about just as much heat. Wool dries more slowly, which spreads out the cooling process due to evaporation over a longer period of time, so up front it feels less cold that synthetic materials, which dry faster and consequently feel colder in the short term. In terms of how much insulation they retain when wet, in my experience it is six of one, half dozen of the other.

eyetat

FNG
After 18 years of outside work Ice fishing and hunting . Just my take, U/A NO 4 zippered neck wind proof water proof Duluth trading long shore mans jacket Done deal if you keep moving. This is for cold below 20F only or to hot. A hooded U/A sweatshirt can be added to #3 or #4 #3 works 40F to 20F. Merino wool blend just as good, over layer or sweatshirt a must with either. It does not matter a long day of punching holes removing snow or hiking, You will freeze if you stop with out shelter in either one. Take it slow and well ventilated you will do the best. Thnisalate lined blue jeans and wind proof over every thing and done deal .Ice armor gloves or mitts hands done. JMO.
PS I do work outside every day in S/E WI

Last edited: