Athletic Cut AKA Skinny Jeans

kodiakfly

WKR
Well, I can't say I have a 33" waist, but our quads and calves are about the same size. My quads are down because I haven't been able to squat or work legs in over a year, but I'm still beefy. This is one reason I don't wear Kuiu stuff. Maybe it was one of their off-sized garments that people get, but I tried on a pair of 38 Attack pants and I couldn't get my thighs in them. I can wear Sitka stuff, so that's what I wear and their stuff seems to fit fairly well. They seem to think everyone is built like Cam Haines or Aron...and that'd be great, but I'm 6'/245...you do the math. LOL.

I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone in the world of pants. Except the fact that I usually have to go up a size or two to fit my rear end as well as my thighs.

Subbed this thread for the knowledge.

They seem to think everyone is built like Cam Haines or Aron

I talked to Aron last week about this and he said that he used to order a size up and get the waist brought in. I would guess that Cam also has this problem. Kuiu's "athletic" fit is a joke. If by athlete they mean someone who doesn't ever hit the gym they might be about right. Many people that lift regularly have this problem which is evident by the start-up http://barbellapparel.com/

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Flipside most of these pants fit me just fine without being overly baggy. I was worried trying on the mentioned eddie baurer pants since some folks complained about them being tight, I didn't find that the case at all. However I'm generally a lean build and I'm in run mode right now so perhaps muscle size might grow some in the fall when I do more core/leg training but typically I don't bulk up big time. Right now I'm 33-34" waist, ~21" thighs, ~15" calves.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If by athlete they mean someone who doesn't ever hit the gym they might be about right. Many people that lift regularly have this problem which is evident by the start-up http://barbellapparel.com/

There tends to be a muscle build difference between folks that run/hike a lot (even if they also lift) and those that mainly lift. The former don't tend to bulk out as much. Granted body type plays a huge roll too. But they are "athletic" fit hunting clothes and they likely are envisioning the former body type. I mean even the large thigh guys from lifting if you spent a season guiding and hiking the trails all day long but no lifting in the gym do you think you'd have the same bulk to deal with? I suspect not. All the mountain guides I knew back in the day that could fly up hills with 70lb packs on generally fit the "athletic" cut we're talking about here. But lifting is great to build up a bunch of mass to work with in a shorter period since most of us can't spend months just out there living it, unfortunately.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to Aron last week about this and he said that he used to order a size up and get the waist brought in. I would guess that Cam also has this problem. Kuiu's "athletic" fit is a joke. If by athlete they mean someone who doesn't ever hit the gym they might be about right. Many people that lift regularly have this problem which is evident by the start-up http://barbellapparel.com/
I do the same.. Have to order one size up and have the waist taken in cause the seat and thighs are too tight for my liking.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There tends to be a muscle build difference between folks that run/hike a lot (even if they also lift) and those that mainly lift. The former don't tend to bulk out as much. Granted body type plays a huge roll too. But they are "athletic" fit hunting clothes and they likely are envisioning the former body type. I mean even the large thigh guys from lifting if you spent a season guiding and hiking the trails all day long but no lifting in the gym do you think you'd have the same bulk to deal with? I suspect not. All the mountain guides I knew back in the day that could fly up hills with 70lb packs on generally fit the "athletic" cut we're talking about here. But lifting is great to build up a bunch of mass to work with in a shorter period since most of us can't spend months just out there living it, unfortunately.

Agreed; and I just have a natural big leg build. My entire family has always played football as lineman which should tell you something about our general build. I hardly lift anymore and still have this problem, but back in high school after a shoulder surgery I was leg pressing over 1500lbs. I have experienced the reduced bulk in that the last time I lost weight I lost a lot of muscle. I could run or jog all day but couldn't hike up a steep hill with a 50lb bag. My goals with my current attempts to lose weight is to do so while maintaining at least my leg strength which is only going to make this problem worse.

OP
R
Thanks for all of the responses.

I have changed my workout significantly in the past two years and have decreased my leg sizes, but I still have some residual size and mass from playing middle linebacker in college where I was over 250lbs. Now I am down to 205 and lean, but my legs are still larger than most. I still run to try and lean them out a bit and even with a sub 2 hour half marathon time, I still have trouble finding pants that fit in the legs.

It also seems that there isn't much of a quick fix and when I find a pair that fit, I may need to buy a few and keep them in my closet until I need them.

Thanks again for all of the responses and Happy Hunting.

kodiakfly

WKR
I gave up. I'm a big boy. I'm soft in the middle, but I still have a waist and broad shoulders and big legs. I shed my pride and I now easily order XXL and 38-40" waist now in these new clothes. Just like the gym: leave your ego at the door!

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Arborwear tech ll pants. Softest nylon I've ever felt, roomy cargo pockets and quite baggy on me so should be great those thicker legs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk