• WoolX

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • H&H

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your opinion, please leave comment

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cant chose between Ibex, WoolX and H&H. Look similar almost same price but I never had any experience with wool base layer.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only have experience with smartwool, sitka and kuiu. Of those three Sitka has the best next to skin comfort and quality. I do like the vented side panels of the kuiu 125 &145 shirts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
I'm in the First Lite camp as well - great gear made by a company that is ran by good people that support our sport. Much rather my money goes to a company like that.

For me, Ice Breaker is the most comfortable followed by Kuiu. I wanted to like First Lite but once I started sweating, I didn't like the feel of it.

Hunter6

WKR
First lite. I have been wearing their base layers for about 4 years when that was all they had. Now I look like I'm in a fist lite commercial. It's about all I wear for base layers and outerwear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First lite. I have been wearing their base layers for about 5 years when that was all they had. Now I look like I'm in a fist lite commercial. It's about all I wear for base layers and outerwear

I'm in the same boat, but it's only been a couple of years.

For me, Ice Breaker is the most comfortable followed by Kuiu. I wanted to like First Lite but once I started sweating, I didn't like the feel of it.
Yeah, it can definitely get a damp feeling with high exertion, as can other merino. I pre-ordered an Aerowool crew which should be a little better at moving moisture.

gelton

WKR
This will be my first year with Merino wool and it will only be bottoms. My underarmour synthetics just wont wear out. The one thing that pushed me over the edge this year was the aerowool 3/4 length bottoms. With long underwear + gaitors the lower part of my legs felt like a sauna, so I think that 3/4 design + the aerowool might be a game changer. I dont think anyone else offers anything similar so as usual First Lite seems to be on the cutting edge in this category.

twall13

WKR
I only have experience with the merino from 3 brands. I would rate their next to skin comfort as follows:

1. Minus33
2. First Lite
3. Icebreaker

Funny, of the 3 the Minus33 is also the least expensive. All that said, I like the thumb holes enough on my Llano that I tend to wear it more when hunting. The difference in feel is noticable to me but honestly I don't mind any of them once I'm moving. I love how Merino doesn't stink!

mntnguide

WKR
First lite! Hands down. I lived in the wilderness 100+days a fall guiding, and their gear hands down is the best for continual hard use and keeping the stink down and being comfortable

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I go with pretty much whatever is on sale, mainly Icebreaker and Smartwool. Usually pick it up late winter on backcountry.com, Sierra Trading Post, etc. Ive not really noticed a significant difference between the top brands. I have an older merino top from Kryptek that I like alot as well, for when I want camo.