KUIU Alpine Pant vs Sitka Timberline Pant

ianpadron

WKR
Looking for opinions from both side of the peanut gallery boys (and girls). Who uses either of these?

Planned use is high country in September and slightly lower elevations in October and November. Looking for a pant that offers a decent amount of warmth alone, handles the wind like a champ, has a DWR that actually works, and isn't heavy.

The timberline comes in at 32 oz...KUIU at 17....so that's the main point of comparison right now.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both pants and the timberlines are warmer and their dwr worked well for a while. The kuiu alpine pants I have don't seem to have a dwr coating, they soaked through fast but seemed to dry faster than my timberlines after their dwr wore off.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Timberline is a much more versatile pant. Some improvements over the previous version such as ability to use your own belt, lighter and slimmer knee pads, removal of useless side pocket

They aren't really comparable pants. Alpine has no DWR and is a much much thinner material. If you are sold on knee pads I think the chinook would be closer to the timberline or at least the attack.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Any of you guys have experience with the Guide pants from KUIU? Only 19 oz but the fleece backing seems like a great option.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
Timberline is a much more versatile pant. Some improvements over the previous version such as ability to use your own belt, lighter and slimmer knee pads, removal of useless side pocket

what "useless" side pocket do you mean ? I make good use of all pockets with all 3 pairs of Timberlines ....

i have the alpine pants and i think they would of been better without the knee pads. I'm 5'7" 32" inseam and the knee pads ride right below my knees. they do well in warm weather and do block the wind well. No DWR tho on these pants.

Any of you guys have experience with the Guide pants from KUIU? Only 19 oz but the fleece backing seems like a great option.

I have the Alpines, Attack and Guide. From what you describe as your uses I would think the Chinook is the most versatile and will be the most comfortable over that range. The Attack will do but slightly less warm later in the year. The guide is going to be too much pant for september unless its only maybe in the low 60s for a high and getting cool at night and even then I think they might be too much pant. The hip vents on the Kuiu pants make them work in a very wide range of temperatures and you can wear a warmer pant in warmer weather with the hip vents open than a comparable sitka pant and be more comfortable and more flexible to monitor and control how warm you are. Best bet would be to try both on because they do have different fits. Compared to jeans and other clothing they fit similar but when you get picky Kuiu and Sitka fit different and usually one or the other will fit a little better.

GKPrice

Banned
i have the alpine pants and i think they would of been better without the knee pads. I'm 5'7" 32" inseam and the knee pads ride right below my knees. they do well in warm weather and do block the wind well. No DWR tho on these pants.

where does that put the pads when you are on your hands and knees stalking ?

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I have the Alpines, Attack and Guide. From what you describe as your uses I would think the Chinook is the most versatile and will be the most comfortable over that range. The Attack will do but slightly less warm later in the year. The guide is going to be too much pant for september unless its only maybe in the low 60s for a high and getting cool at night and even then I think they might be too much pant. The hip vents on the Kuiu pants make them work in a very wide range of temperatures and you can wear a warmer pant in warmer weather with the hip vents open than a comparable sitka pant and be more comfortable and more flexible to monitor and control how warm you are. Best bet would be to try both on because they do have different fits. Compared to jeans and other clothing they fit similar but when you get picky Kuiu and Sitka fit different and usually one or the other will fit a little better.
Dude! THAT is some valuable information. Thank you very much!

where does that put the pads when you are on your hands and knees stalking ?

The top of the pad will cover just right above my knee. I have to pull up on the pant a little to have that sweet spot for my liking. I also have the chinook pants and the knee pads are perfect and form to your knee alot better. More of a cupping effect. The alpine don't seem to form to your knee as well. That's just my experience with them. I have all of the pants from kuiu and I seem to grab the chinook pants the most in later season hunts. In hot weather I grab the prana zions.

warrior80

WKR
I agree with doverpack. I own Kuiu Alpine, Chinook, Attack, and Guide. IMO the Chinook would be the best for what you are looking for. I wore them late season last year in November and up to mid-December. They were great. My hunting partner has been wearing his Chinooks the last two weeks elk hunting. They are very versatile. I also owned a pair of Timberlines but I sold them. They are nice pants too, but a lot heavier than Kuiu pants. They have some nice features, but I also don't like the fit as well. The new 2016 model is probably a little better. But if you only want one pant that will take you through basically all hunting seasons, I would go with Chinook. I am in Utah by the way. I wore them down in the single digits last year with a couple base layers on. The temps my hunting partner has been wearing them this year have been from mid 80s down to 40s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Went with the Chinooks boys, thanks for the help!

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
for ME that pocket carries my leatherman 24/7 (just sayin') and I don't see what it would bother if it never got used anyway ?
Knives dissappear from there but that's beside the point, it's gone on the new model, apparently I wasn't the only person thinking it was useless

GKPrice

Banned
Knives dissappear from there but that's beside the point, it's gone on the new model, apparently I wasn't the only person thinking it was useless

apparently not ... for the record mine spent a WHOLE lot of time in that pocket and I've still got it - crawled, rode in truck, rode in SXS, rode on quad. in the saddle ..... still got it .......

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
apparently not ... for the record mine spent a WHOLE lot of time in that pocket and I've still got it - crawled, rode in truck, rode in SXS, rode on quad. in the saddle ..... still got it .......
You are a sample size of 1