Review: Kryptek Vellus System + Anorak Jacket, by Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I reviewed their Dallibor II earlier this year Kryptek Dalibor II Early Season Jacket Great jacket, but a little light for later fall.

At the Salt Lake Expo, I got to see Kryptek's Vellus kit- vest, pant, jacket, coat. It's a fleece system that is windproof, waterproof, and seam sealed. I wore a lot of fleece in the 90's but it's so prone to burrs and virtually attracts wind :) that I kinda phased it out. I did find it was very durable and most importantly, quiet. With all the advancements in clothing, I forgot how nice it is to hunt in near-silent clothing.

So I worked a deal with Kryptek to try out the Vellus system

Kryptek. Kryptek Vellus Jacket - Highlander
Kryptek. Kryptek Vellus Vest - Highlander
Kryptek. Kryptek Vellus Pant - Highlander

and the Anorak Jacket: Kryptek. Kryptek Anorak Jacket - Highlander

I received all of it in late August and quickly found out this stuff is WAY to warm for early season archery, so it stayed in the duffel bag until this weekend when it finally cooled down and rained. At 60-70 degree days, it's still too warm but just right for glassing in the early morning hours in near freezing temps. It's very windproof as evidenced by riding an ATV at 20 mph in 28 degree temps and while it picks up burrs like most material, so far it's way easier to pull them than other fleece I've tried.

As far as the Anorak Jacket, holy smolly, I sweat just looking at that thing. I don't think I'll even be using it until the snow flies. I'm calling it a coat, not a jacket.

I'll be posting on here throughout the fall as I try the Vellus system and the Anorak in different weather while hunting archery, muzzleloader, and rifle.

Please, if you've tried any piece of this system, post your photos and/or thoughts on here. Lots of guys will have questions and the more people who've tried this stuff, the better we can help others.

Also, a wise person would subscribe to this thread (Thread Tools, top of post) because you just never know when we might hit you with a sweet giveaway of some Kryptek gear from this kit, just sayin'.

attachment.php

2-11-17 UPDATE: Final Review on the Vellus System + Anorak is up: http://www.rokslide.com/gear/clothing/445-kryptek-anorak-vellus-cold-weather-system-review

Last edited:
Very cool. I've been curious about the stuff. I'm a big kryptek fan. I've never really used fleece as an outer layer. Usually just an insulating mid layer.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey guys,
got out and chased bucks for two days in the high country. It was just above freezing at night and might have hit 55 in the shade during the day- no precip.

I wore the Vallus Jacket almost 24/7 except hiking on the warm slopes (no tent and I just slept in the jacket- in my bag of course).

I didn't realize it had pit zips so after I found those, the jacket was even more versatile.

Hunting a buck that I've seen on a fairly heavily timbered slope, west facing, so it's shaded until lunch time and the jacket was good for still-hunting slowly in the cool temps.

Really can't find a downside yet. Oh, except one. The hood fits well like all Kryptek jackets I've worn but when I draw my bow, the left corner of the hood and the jacket junction stick out a few inches and I'm worried it might catch my string. It's a soft contact point and might not matter but is in the way.

I did not wear the pants this trip so no feedback on those.

kravguy

WKR
How quiet is the material? The fleece should be quiet, but making it wind proof sometimes take away from it. Is it similar to the Sitka Stratus or better in the noise department?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
kravguy, sorry so slow- I was in the high country after bucks. Got another week on this system and getting ready to load a video review right now. To your question, very quiet. I have not tried the Sitka Stratus, so I can't compare.

I know what you mean about other products that have laminated a wind/water resistant layer making them noisy- not these. I really wondered if these were windproof as they were so quiet but you'll see in the video I'm about to post how much wind I hunted in and the system pretty much worked as advertised and remained quiet.

FYI to all, I'm not consulting with Kryptek as I post this for tech terms/advice, just posting as I understand the system so if I get term or concept wrong, that's on me (please feel free to correct me). Just posting from my personal experience. Video pending....

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
here's video:
[video=youtube_share;CosvoahyAk4]http://youtu.be/CosvoahyAk4[/video]

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too have been wearing the Vellus products from Kryptek! First impression was how comfortable they were! Second was how quiet it is!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Late October update, I've put about 20 hunting days on the Vellus jacket and vest. No signs of wear other than new look of fleece is gone. Still pretty impressed with ease of burr removal. I have not got them soaked but have hunted in drizzle- no leakage. Hunted in temps 25-50 and pretty comfy unless your're really exerting, then coat comes off and vest only.

I wore the pants one rainy day while guiding an elk hunter. We tracked some elk in the mud across rolling terrain for about 5.8 miles (round trip) according to his GPS. Had a light layer of merino underneath and I was comfy, not overheated and dry. If it was steeper country, probably wouldn't need the base layer. My inseam is only 30" so the mediums are a little longer than I like and are too close to the ground. I need to wear a gaiter to keep from wearing off the cuffs. Still need some snow days to really need these pants unless I was just sitting a lot.

More to come.

Jared, have you hunted in the snow in your system yet? thoughts?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought the Vellus jacket and pants recently, thinking this stuff would be a good option for late season hunts, including treestand hunts in eastern Colorado and NE. At home, at room temperature, I was thinking "Wow, this stuff is quiet" However, two days ago, temps around 35-ish, no wind, and woods were SILENT. I couldnt even move while wearing the Vellus! It sounded like I was wearing fleece covered motorcycle leathers. The fleece itself is quiet, but the waterproof/windproof membrane inside, is loud. And the jacket pockets are not usable from an archery treestand perspective. The material in the pockets crinkles excessively when putting your hands in there to keep them warm.
Overall, I still like the set, and will use it, but its not really ideal for just insulation when archery treestand hunting..

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Titan_Bow

thanks for your input. I have hunted in them that cold, but I guess not in "silent woods", so this is news to me. I'm hoping for some really cold temps this month, and I'll pay attention for what you experienced. I'll report back too.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
This is great info guys, Titan_bow, I was very interested in these for archery. Cold weather you think the liner gets too loud though? Ill keep following this thread, looks like great potential!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
beetlespin, I mentioned Titan's experience in the review. However, I hunted down to zero and didn't notice any excessive noise, but I wasn't sitting in a treestand in silent woods either. I do know for spot-n-stalk style hunting, the Vellus is plenty quiet in all temps.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good Robby, muzzleloader season here in Wisconsin, this might be the ultimate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good Robby, muzzleloader season here in Wisconsin, this might be the ultimate!

Let us know. Talking to Kryptek last month , this line will continue into next year

Let us know. Talking to Kryptek last month , this line will continue into next year

Think you could talk them into a kangaroo pocket. Need to replace my Berber Cabelas pullover and anorak would be perfect if it had said pocket...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Think you could talk them into a kangaroo pocket. Need to replace my Berber Cabelas pullover and anorak would be perfect if it had said pocket...

Wish I had that much leverage, but then again, maybe not! No, there is not a kangaroo pocket. Generous chest/side pocket but they are a little high on the coat (because of the lower-center draw string) to be called side pockets. They work well enough.