Fleece - Does it have a place in your layering system?

jaredlef

FNG
I wanted to start a thread to talk about the use of fleeces in layering systems. I started thinking more about this after looking for a quiet insulation layer for bowhunting and reading a couple blog posts (including this one: Fleece Sweaters: Must-Have Clothing for Hiking and Backpacking | Section Hikers Backpacking Blog). I couldn't find any older threads specific to this but if there is one, please let me know.

A couple of hunting clothing companies have fleeces in their lineups (see First Lite Halstead, Sitka Fanatic, and KUIU Peloton) but I'm more impressed with the offerings of technical/mountaineering clothing (see Patagonia R2 and R3, Mountain Hardware Monkey Man, Marmot Reactor, many others).

So do you use fleece? What brands and weights do you like? In what type of hunting do you find them most appropriate to bring along? For backpack hunting, is their additional weight justified? What advantages and disadvantages do you see with fleeces compared to puffy jackets or other insulation layers?

Last edited:
I keep telling myself Fleece is recycled PET bottles, so I don't expect much from it. That said, its a good compromise of performance vs cost for an easy layer add or subtraction.

Fleece doesn't do well by fires...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have an older Mountain Hardwear Windstopper fleece jacket that is my primary colder, snowier weather rifle hunting jacket. Not super warm on it's own but dead quiet, breathes well and not too heavy. I'll also sometimes pack an old Cabelas fleece pullover or other fleece sweater and some fleece pants for colder stuff. I really think fleece is hard to beat from a comfort standpoint. It can be a little bulky but it's pretty cheap, dries quick and is pretty dang dependable.

I run a FL halstead fleece as my windstopper layer just before the rain jacket goes on. Depending on the time of the year, I'll either run one or two layers under it.

twall13

WKR
Interesting thread. I've been considering a fleece layer so I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. I know it's been mentioned on here before that some guys like fleece as a second layer as opposed to say a Chama hoody because merino on merino sticks and binds more than the fleece. I'd say it's warmth to weight is probably slightly better than merino wool too but that's a guess more than any actual experience. It's certainly not going to replace my puffy but on colder hunts it might be a nice supplement to it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a jacket I prefer a softshell over fleece

As a mid layer fleece is awesome. Breathes well traps body heat, dry fast. Very happy with my Teton zip-t. Also like the inexpensive fleece from Walmart for casual wear.

I've used a basic 1/4 zip 100 wt fleece pullover as a mid layer for quite a few years. Light, breathable, and relatively cheap. Not much to dislike. Think my current one is by MH, but there are bunches that are highly similar.

I also like heavier fleece jackets as a warm layer for some things. Much more durable and quieter than a puffy. Although certainly not as warm or compact.

Yk

duchntr

WKR
For my style of bivy hunting early season I have no need for a fleece layer. But in the later season where i might be farting around i.e. moving less or hunting out of a base camp where weight is not an issue I use a heavy fleece as an outer layer, I like my r3 . For a strenuous late season mountain hunt i might be inclined to bring my r1 or arc 100weight fleece along to wear all day over my base layer. Fleece offers no wind protection so if your looking for that get a windshirt (always in my pack).

Carlin59

WKR
I don't like heavy fleece or softshells for any type of backpack hunting. However, I almost always have a light (100-150gm) 1/4 zip fleece with me. This goes over a merino longsleeve base layer. The lightweight fleece is cheap (my current Eddie Bauer was $20 on sale), quiet, provides a good mix of breathability and warmth, water repellent enough that I don't worry about a light rain or snow, and more abrasion resistant that just merino. I think heavy fleeces are pointless; significant warmth is best left to down or synthetic insulating layers (also always in the pack). However, a lightweight fleece shirt or 1/4 zip has earned a permanent place in my backcountry kit.

ianpadron

WKR
I roll with either a Cabelas 1/4 zip fleece (best 15 bucks I've ever spent) or a KUIU Peloton 200 hoodie over my merino base layer and I doubt I'll ever run anything else. Absolutely toasty down to about 45 if you're moving around a bit. Throw a puffy over those two and you're ready to rock right on down into the 20s. Fleece is super light but not the most packable. It also dries so fast it's actually freaky, especially the peloton from KUIU. I'm talking minutes after being soaked, it is dry. And holy cow is fleece comfortable. I think that everyone should have a couple pieces of clothing that they just look forward to throwing on, and my fleece pieces definitely do that for me.

Fleece is always in my layering system as a mid layer. I vary the weight and other features for the intended application but most often it's a Patagonia Cap 4 Hoody. I'll go to the R1 hoody in colder weather. Once I got used to the features of these pieces it was hard to go back to regular fleece. I like the athletic cut, stretch, extra length in sleeves and hem, thumb loops, chest pocket, and hood that zips up to cover my chin. Also like the way they manage moisture and dry quickly.

I live in them....

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Cabela's Performance Fleece jacket with a 4Most Windshear liner. It is medium weight, quiet, and is a perfect jacket for late fall. I use it with a vest or as my outer layer in temps down in the 30's with only a merino wool base layer. It is great for bow hunting on cooler mornings.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a fleece fanatic....have been for decades. Probably have 3 dozen fleece garments. I wear it year round. Don't really need a coat in CO unless I'm staying stationary somewhere, so I wear fleece jackets. For archery hunting my favorites are my Columbia microfleece mock-t's that I wear between my merino base and camo layer.

I also have 200 and 300 weight jackets for colder weather. I would say that the warmth to weight ratio is much greater than merino wool. The FL Labrador I had was HEAVY and not very warm. But a thick fleece half the weight is much warmer and versatile IMO. When fleece gets wet, you just have to shake it out and it's mostly dry because the fibers don't actually absorb water, it just gets trapped between the fibers. Shake it out and it's good. It's also quiet and breathable. Perfect for bowhunting.

I also don't pay much for it. I could care less what brand name is on it, just so it's good lofty fleece.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love fleece as well. I'll always bring a sherpa fleece with me.. I've been using the kryptek sherpa hoodie that past couple of years. I've also used the sitka 1/4 zip and got along great with it as well. The KUIU and first lite I can't speak for yet though. A lot of times I find myself bringing a regular fleece hoodie (fruit of the loom or whatever) that I pretty much just leave at camp or for glassing in my pack... because I like them. I would definitely recommend a fleece layer though... My top usually looks like this: merino tshirt, merino 1/4 zip, fleece, down and rain jacket.

Lawnboi

WKR
I always have a Sitka traverse fleece in my pack, it's my favorite piece when living out of a backpack and I won't go without it.

Fleece Definetly has its place whitetail hunting out of a stand, nothing is quieter

I use a 100 weight pullover, 200 weight vest, 300 weight vest, and a 200 weight jacket for different layering needs. I have multiple synthetic and down puffys I wear as an outer layer, but fleece is my favorite for insulation under a shell.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Count me among those who always carries a fleece. I used to wear, I guess it would be considered mid-weight, Mountain Hardwear fleece until I bought the FL Halstead last year. I generally run pretty hot so just a long sleeve merino shirt and the fleece keep my warm, especially if I am moving at all, down into the 30s. It basically has to be really cold or involve long periods of sitting before I need to add a puffy. In fact, I also have a much heavier weight Ex-Officio fleece I will often wear before a puffy.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Fleece is definitely nice but its usually only a mid layer for me since it lets wind through like a screen. Sitka traverse with a Jetstream vest over it is an awesome combo though for that reason, cool on your arms, warm on your core.