SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders,

I now have over ten hunting days in the SKRE gear, and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts:

The good:

1. Nothing has broken. All of the zippers work as new. I have trudged around in a wide variety of terrain including cactus-infested sage breaks, garbonzo bean fields, snowy burns, and alpine cliffs and slides. I haven't babied the SKRE softshell gear at all and it has taken the punishment and looks like new.

2. The poly base layers are high quality. Again, no durability issues so far, and this stuff really breathes. The baselayers have a sheer outside face and soft, fleecy interior. They add noticeable warmth on cold mornings, but also made it easy to heat up when the sun warmed up. Breathability was great and they dried the sweat out quickly. I have tried a number of poly baselayers, and these are the first ones that really compete with mountaineering types like Patagonia Capilene.

3. The pants are great. I love the pockets and use the thigh vents a lot when hiking in warmer temperatures. The Teflon DWR is great not only for beading up, but washed heavy blood stains out in one wash with Sport Wash detergent. The interior waistband has the rubberized ring that keeps your shirt in. I liked this feature on the first Sitka pants I owned years ago, but eventually the rubber peeled and flaked. So far, the SKRE band still looks like new.

4. The softshell jacket is versatile. I like the protection from weather and abrasion along with the noticeable bump in warmth. The pit zips really vent the heat when you're hiking hard. In situations where I would have had to shed the jacket with other soft shells, I was able to just open the vents and keep going.

5. The vest is a good option for streamlined protection and layering. I use it a lot around town as well as the woods.

The bad:

1. Not much.

2. I also had the velcro cuff issues that Branden mentioned above, but it wasn't too much of a problem after I closed them a little tighter than wide open.

3. The zippers on the pant vents occasionally opened by themselves if I didn't get them fully closed to begin with.

4. The soft shell material still hasn't fully softened although it is much softer than when new.

5. The logos are bigger than I would like.

Overall, I think SKRE is really on the right track. This is high quality gear that performs well, and is cheaper than the alternatives. Hopefully, the upcoming insulating gear and rain gear provides similar performance and value.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding the MTN-STEALTH camo:

It looks pretty good to my eye. I had two different people I didn't know ask me what kind of clothes I was wearing. I am pretty sure that hasn't happened to me before.

From a close distance it seems to break up pretty well, but from a distance it just kind of looks gray/neutral, like a lot of patterns.

I have mentioned before I don't know how much camo patterns actually do for you. I am just as happy in solids as I am in any camo, but as far as camo patterns go, the MTN-STEALTH looks good to me.

Here is a pic of the MTN-STEALTH in the clouds of Western MT's high country:

chindits

WKR
Okay, I'll give a few thoughts on this brand, specifically Skre Nebo SL Rain Jacket.

Disclaimer: My product experience with Skre is very limited as I recently acquired two items and tagged along on a 4th season hunt with some buddies. So this is a very limited review due to lack of use. In addition, this was a purchased product and I am not associated or receive gear from any outdoor manufacturers. I do occasionally purchase pro-deal products, but with the exception of FL and G.I. the products I refer to were retail.

A Skree size large weighs in at 13.6 oz compared to a large Kuiu chugah nx 19.6 oz.

Water proof: Relatively unknown as it did not rain or snow. I kayaked into my buddies camp at sunrise with the temps at 9* F. There was significant water splash during the boat in, but as expected it froze on everything above water line so I can't really say what the jacket will do with hours of rain or wet snow. I didn't get wet from the kayak in I haven't done a shower test because I shower to get clean and not to test gear. Future use needed.

Breathability: As mentioned the jacket was worn on a 1 hour kayak in. I had a low profile pfd and a spray skirt over the torso part of the rain jacket. I only had a base layer and a kuiu 240 for insulation under the rain jacket. I had no moisture buildup in the rain jacket even under the pfd. I wore it several other times during the hunt, just as a wind blocker or to help conserve body heat while glassing. I had no condensation issues. Future use needed.

Fabric: Whether by construction or fabric type, it feels lighter then my Chugah nx and my FL ; My personal impression it that it is no louder a fabric then the Chugach or a FL Stormtight. I don't think I could draw on a mature muley under 40 on a calm day with any of those jackets, but in a good rain I could probably get away with it. I don't have the lighter Kuiu or FL rain jacket options, so that comparison is incomplete. I obviously have no opinions on durability after such limited use. In a wet year or two I might be able to form an opinion on durability.

Construction: I expect all products these days to be well constructed and so it was with Skre, so I will comment on a few design features which stood out in my mind.

The hood adjustments are simple and easy to access. The hood is large enough to be thrown over climbing helmets for those of you that dabble in SAR and yet can be cinched down easily. I'm not really a hood connoisseur, and it works fine for me.

The sleeves are long. I am 6' and long limbed and the sleeves have about 2 more inches of length in them that I am not using. With my arms at my sides. the sleeve cuffs are between the knuckles on your finger and palm that bears the brunt of a punch. Unlike Kuiu, the cuffs on the Skre sleeves are wide enough that you can wear your mittens or gloves under the cuff rather than over the cuff. You might not think this is important, but to me it is. When I am walking through days of rain in the Weminuche, I want my jacket cuffs to cover the opening to my waterproof mittens so that my mittens are not filling up with water running down the sleeve. The Velcro cuff closures allow for the cuffs to be cinched down to the thinnest wrists. However, if you want the cuffs open as wide as possible, there barely is enough Velcro to hold the Velcro strap in place. I think that could be improved.

There is room in the torso for multiple layers and puffies underneath. Of course being a lanky 170 pounder I wouldn't expect otherwise. The cinch cord on the bottom hem is a simple one handed adjustment design that seals up the bottom for conserving heat. Just remember to tuck the loops up so you aren't grabbing branches. The zippers are a waterproof type zippers that I have serious reservations about. My FL Stormtight zippers of a similar design turned that rain jacket into a closet ornament when they failed. I actually embrace the simple fail safe zippers on my Kuiu. I did note that more than once I had zipper issues catching the storm flap on the Skre. I was a little surprised that at the top of the zipper there is not a cover preventing contact with your chin or neck. Strangely, the hand pockets have the zipper garage.

Pet Peeve here: Pocket placement on the rain jacket is an epic fail that is typical of many hunting jackets manufactured today. They are positioned right where your pack hip belt runs, so whether you are trying to get your calls out, range finder, gps, etc... you have to release your pack belt before you can access them. As you all know I am a big fan of ventilated chest slash pockets as found on ECWS wind jacket and to a lesser degree the FL Stormtight. With good ventilated pockets, pit zips be damned. Of course if you like walking around with your hands in your pocket, then this type of pocket is perfect. In my opinion this could be improved industry wide.

So not to end harshly, I actually like this jacket and will continue to use it throughout the year. It is light, good fitting, and appears very functional with a solid price point. I hope to form better opinions on it by next September, but obviously the winter months on the CO west slope is not rain gear testing material. If I were to change any one thing about it, I would alter the pockets. In addition, I am not enamored by the cammo pattern but I really don't put to big a priority on that. At the range the BRB photo was taken you can actually make out the pattern. A little beyond that range there isn't really any disruptive pattern that I can perceive, but cammo is often in the eye of the beholder. Soon enough I'll just being wearing over whites.

Best wishes for this company.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Chindits
very thorough and informative review. Thank you much!

and I agree on pocket placements on most jackets/coats is way to low for hip belts. I'd rather have to bend my elbow a bit more and be able to access side pockets than not at all when there buried under a hip belt.

Thanks again

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright,
Ive had some time to test SKRE out in the field and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts, I wish I could copy paste Bitterroot Bulls post but that would be plagiarizing. In all honesty though we have had pretty much the same thoughts.

Hardscrabble Pants- Im short so inseam is a tad long (nothing shorties aren't used to) as well as length however length is not an issue with boots on. I love the vents on these. I have not had an issue with them working their way down while hiking although i have been using them a lot while hiking even in cold weather. I really like the grip on the inside of the pants. It is very wide and holds your pants up and your shirt tucked in. this feature is on every pair of hunting pants I have owned in the past 5 years however SKRE took the cake on this one. So far none has peeled off and it is super grippy. Again, I really like the pocket layout and I like the fact that their lightweight pants have identical pockets. These pants wouldn't be suited for archery season but would probably be my first choice beginning early to mid October.

Hardscrabble Jacket- I like the high pockets on these. The pockets are deep and you won't worry about stuff falling out with the zipper open. The hood i thought I would like but haven't had a ton of time under it so jury is still out. The biggest problem with the jacket is the velcro cuffs. There isn't enough room to velcro it wide open to keep the flap from flopping around. When i take the jacket off, i like to leave cuffs wide open but it never fails if jacket is wadded up or laying on other gear, the velcro gets stuck to something. fit wise its a tad tight so again SIZE UP!. I like the material and it seems to be breaking in nicely. Its not near as stiff. I've been having trouble with the pit zips being stiff to the point i barely am able to manipulate the zippers with the jacket on. They are also a 2 way zipper which i find useless so far.

Uinta Early Season Pant- it hasn't been warm enough to wear out in the field but looks, feels like the same cut for the most part as the Hardscrabble but with lighter material. I am very anxious to try these outside of my living room.

Mad Trapper Hoodie- Ive been wearing this all over town, and again SIZE up. its a great performance sweatshirt with a cool pattern. I have people stop and ask me a out it all the time.

Wasatch Crew Top- fits nicely and still is really soft on the inside after washing a handful of times.This is good choice for hunts beginning in October again but i don't think ill be taking it along during archery season.

Hardscrabble Vest- After returning and getting the correct size, I wear this thing a lot! i really like it. for some reason its still stiff but its getting there. Fit is nice and takes the edge off of the cold. The dual chest pockets seems excessive to me as with the jacket but some might find it 2 useful.

Overall- Pattern is approved by the wife (harder than you think), although I would say it is a touch darker than it appears on their website. I feel they are cut after a tall, slender man. Spend the time it takes breaking them in. Everything seems stiff but the wash has been helping. zippers are stiffer than other brands out there and especially when new, takes two hands to operate all of them including side pockets. size up size up size up. the finish work could be better on them. You will find yourself taking 5 minutes a garment cutting strings and finding thread in weird places. None of it effects the garment but they are there none the less. The best analogy i can give to explain SKRE gear is it is 90% Sitka and 55% the price. The zippers aren't as smooth and it will take you some time to get them to feel right but you can save a lot of money on quality gear with SKRE thats for sure.

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are some photos in the field as well as comparisons of first lite fusion/Sitka optifade/ and SKRE MTN-STEALTH.
02a53a2e1c29fcce5dcc258ebb630c01.jpg
a37a7dc20db0bb2b87c58ff5c0eeb617.jpg
d63012b8de2ca49123fa4b39b0522bb1.jpg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
96bb7c80a64f0161954b19c743501582.jpg

This is the Velcro cuff all the way extended. Note the small thread. There are lots of these on the garment. Not a big deal as you can snip them.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a comparison of the waist band compared to Sitka ascent. Also notice the belt loops are sewn on the outside of the garment as compared to Sitka folded over the top and sewn on the inside. I have a problem with belt digging into me on the Sitka pants while hiking because of this. They pants seem to roll under the belt making it uncomfortable. The SKRE I have not had any trouble with.
e3e4958aae06addc6f028e52b87e8bc7.jpg

I got some Skre in today ill be out for yotes here in a week or two cant wait to give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can't hit em, let us know what you think after some use.

The pattern looks like a dark blob. Wouldn't mind supporting a local company but based on the pattern and your review I can say I won't be trying these.

What are your initial thoughts?

They put the logo alot of places was my first thought . The hardscrabble pant is more of a mid to late season pant , ill probably order the Early seasons for archery if i like the hardscrabble. I think the vents in the pockets are cool idea.

I sized up and everything fit but haven't washed anything yet. Not sure why the zipper on the arm of the Wasatch LS but its kinda loud and funky not sure ill use that pocket. Maybe chapstick

The Hoodie will start getting worn tomorrow that things comfy , i tried it on and didnt want to take it off. I like the tighter sleeves it has in the forearms especially for archery

The color has more brown in it than i expected. It hasnt been washed yet but it looks shiny, kind of silk ish. The material seems good and all seems well made

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The pattern looks like a dark blob. Wouldn't mind supporting a local company but based on the pattern and your review I can say I won't be trying these.

I understand you don't like the pattern (I wish every hunting gear company offered earth tone solids, myself), but I am curious what about the reviews on this thread would make you pass?

I continue to use the SKRE gear, and think its value is very good. I wouldn't let anything in this thread scare you off. This is legitimate backcountry hunting gear at a good price. I think Travis would agree the downsides are minor, overall.

I have quality pieces from trusted names like First Lite and Sitka that i won't be giving up, but SKRE is surprisingly competitive and certainly worth a good look.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
How long has this gear been about? Looks interesting. Good price point. A us based brand??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They are fairly new, 6 months? Very good price point and yes, based out of Utah! Give them a call if you have questions, they are down to earth and they put customer service at the top of their priority list.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bb is right, downsides are minor.
Off topic but same rings true here, at shot show last year I was talking to a barrel company for glock pistols. They were selling "suppressor" barrels and I asked how they differed from a lone wolf distributors threaded barrel which is 100$ cheaper. His reply was they are ready to shoot out of the box, a lone wolf barrel requires 50-100 rounds of break in (20-30$).

Skre is the same as lone wolf in this regard, cut loose threads and wash it a few times and it is on par with all of the other big brand names.