SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear

daddie63

WKR
I haven't been able to test the clothes I bought yet but will next week on a hog hunt. I will say though Mike Wand has been awesome to talk with and do business with. Now I haven't spent much money at all with Skre just yet, but you wouldn't know that by the service I received. That says a lot to me about their business approach. I'll be buying more of their gear for sure.

Jardo

WKR
Skre on Camofire

I just loaded up on the Skre Gear sale on Camofire. I now have everything Skre makes except the down coat and the rain gear. Here are my thoughts:

Love the merino base layers. First Lite is better but this is good merino from Skre.

Wasatch top and bottom are thick and comfy. Soft on inside. Bottoms fit big so don't size up the bottoms.

Love the alpine shirt - reminds me of a workout shirt. I wished it stretched a little more but great for warm weather.

Uinta pants are my favorite Skre product. Seem lighter than tiburon and these are comfy. Only way to improve this is to make it 4-way stretch but I think I'm going to love hunting in these in hot Hawaii Weather.

Hardsrabble pants are tight in the hips/pockets area. Very heavy material. Definitely for cold late season hunting. Not a good option for backpack hunting or anyone going lite. Best for tree stand.

Hardscrable vest is awesome but stiff. Wish the collar would lay down better when not fully zipped. This is my number 2 most favorite Skre item.

Hardscrabble jacket is ok. Zippers are tough. Requires 2 hands to open and close pit zips. Stiff and fits baggy in the arms but tight in the stomach. I'm not fat either. 5'11" 165 lbs and hit the gym 4 days per week. Want to like this jacket but it's not nearly as comfy or functional as my Jetstream. Skre has some work to do on this piece.

Hat is nice. Good fit. Beanie is not insulated and will work in cool weather but won't cut it in cold late season grassing sessions. Belt is lite and functional. Same as kuiu or Sitka. Hard to screw up a belt made from webbing. Gloves were mid weight. I expected these gloves to have more insulation and be heavier. This will not be good for cold mornings and are not waterproof but will work just fine if hiking in cool dry weather.

Overall, I am happy with this gear. Definitely not for the lite weight backpack hunter. Stick with kuiu for this. Attention to details and comfort is not nearly as good as Sitka. Sitka Gear users will not care for this clothing except for the price. Camo pattern is just ok. To my eye, it is purple with a little green. I dont really care if I hunt in camo or solids so I'm not hung up too bad on the camo. I do think Skre's website is misleading with the color. They drastically lighten and downplay the purple. If you want to see the real color, google some skre gear images and the pictures from other sources are truer to color. The zippers are not as smooth as Sitka either.

I love the hip zips on the pants and the rubber in the waist that holds the pants up. I also love the price. This is probably the best value hunting gear.

I don't want to sound like I'm unhappy with this gear. I just want to share my thoughts and opinions about the good, bad, and the ugly with this gear. I think Skre will be a major contender in the camo hunting apparel market very soon. Just need a couple of improvements here and there and the will be good to go. I'll continue buying this gear and am looking forward to seeing these guys get better at making great hunting clothing.

Last edited:

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the rain jacket on camofire this morning. Looking forward to trying it out. I am going on a Colorado archery elk hunt in 2018 and thinking about getting the hardscabble pants but sounds like they are a little thick for backpacking. Right now I am using sitka grinder pants and love them but unsure about durability in the mountains. The sandhills of Nebraska don't beat up pants too bad unless sandburs are someone's enemy :). But I will update on my thoughts of the rain jacket if it is needed here this fall during deer season.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought the rain jacket on camofire this morning. Looking forward to trying it out. I am going on a Colorado archery elk hunt in 2018 and thinking about getting the hardscabble pants but sounds like they are a little thick for backpacking. Right now I am using sitka grinder pants and love them but unsure about durability in the mountains. The sandhills of Nebraska don't beat up pants too bad unless sandburs are someone's enemy :). But I will update on my thoughts of the rain jacket if it is needed here this fall during deer season.

The HS pants could be too much for backpacking. Depends on how hot you run and what region of Colorado. I wore mine mid August to mid September and only felt that they were too much for a couple hours midday but I’m not usually very active then.

Last year I wore Kuiu tiburon which I think would be similar to Skre’s unita pants. A light pant was ideal mid day but had to use a base and or light rain pants for cool mornings and wind.

The hs pants felt heavy in the package, but I don’t find them heavy while wearing them.

ozyclint

WKR
what is the wasatch top base layer made from? i've seen conflicting posts on this thread. one suggests poly the other says wool. the SKRE website doesn't mention what it is either.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
what is the wasatch top base layer made from? i've seen conflicting posts on this thread. one suggests poly the other says wool. the SKRE website doesn't mention what it is either.
Wasatch is 95%poly %5 spandex. The wool garments are the kaibab top and bottom and the kanati hoody is a wool spandex blend

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ozyclint

WKR
damn, i tried to purchase a wasatch top on their website on sunday but it wouldn't allow me to check out. i'm in Australia and the website wouldn't allow me to input my country. do they ship to Australia? i have sent them an email but haven't had a reply yet. be a shame to miss out on the 20% off sale, especially with the currency exchange rate i have to put up with.

ozyclint

WKR
as for the fit of the wasatch top, i'm a 39.5" chest and 33" sleeve. the size chart says i should order a medium. i would rather it be reasonably snug fitting but not a compression tight fit.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I would size up. Im sure they will be answering your inquiry on international shipping shortly. Let us know what they say

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
i got a reply from mike. i asked what shipping would be to Australia for a single wasatch top. i was told US$150-$200. i replied asking if that was a typo error. he did send me a link to an australian stockist but all the SKRE gear is out of stock and on backorder.