SKRE Extreme Mountain Gear

5587b0dd4df55af1b589faf74ab9d83f.jpg

I just got a few pieces of SKRE gear in the mail last night. The quality and finish looks top notch. I examined it pretty close and couldn't even find a tag end from a thread anywhere.

I ended up getting their Wasatch top and bottoms for base layers, the Mad Trapper Hoodie, and the Hardscrabble pants and jacket.

I am 6' 2" about 195lbs and here are the sizes I ordered.

Medium Wasatch bottoms. They fit perfect. There isn't any extra length so I will be careful not to shrink them though.

Large Wasatch top. Shoulders and arms fit good but there is some extra room in the belly area.

Large Mad Trapper Hoodie. Fits perfect. Arms are long enough which is a problem sometimes and there seems to be more of an athletic cut to the Mad Trapper because its not to loose in the stomach area.

34 T Hardscrabble pant. The sizing chart says the 34 fits a 32"-33" waist and they fit me great. I wear a 32 in jeans for reference. The inseam also matches me perfect in the tall.

Large Hardscrabble jacket. The jacket fits pretty well. I can layer a base layer and the Mad Trapper under it and its not to tight. Its a little loose in the stomach area but not bad at all. Sleeve length fits also which is a plus.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the gear so far. The finish is great and it fits me better then I was expecting ordering it without trying it on. I haven't had a chance to wear the stuff hunting yet since I just received it, but wearing it around the house it was comfortable and didn't bunch on me going up and down the stairs etc. Even did some high knees in the pants and there was zero drag on my legs. Almost like wearing shorts.

I had all 3 tops on and it was not a problem to shoot my bow. The forearms are slim and not baggy so I don't have to worry about using an arm guard to keep the clothing out of the way.

I'll post up more of my thoughts on it once I actually use it in the field. At this point I am pretty happy with it and would recommend it to a friend. That could change of course depending on field performance but at first look I have to give it an A+ on fit and finish.

Regards, Branden

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I also received some SKRE gear, and look forward to field use.

For reference I am 5'9" and 170. In most outdoor clothing I wear a medium, but occasionally size up to larges for layering. For pants I usually run a 30-32X32.

A couple initial notes:

1. Sizing: Size up! The SKRE website indicates that the tops fit small, so I ordered Larges in the tops, and the Wasatch baselayer, Hardscrabble jacket, and Hardscrable vest all fit well enough. Just right in the shoulders and sleeve length, but roomy in the torso. In the pants the medium Wasatch bottoms fit appropriately tight for layering. The Hardscrabble pants in 32 regular were great in inseam length, but way too tight in the hips and butt.

2. Customer service. I contacted Mike about exchanging the pants for 34 regular, and told him I planned to use them this upcoming weekend hunting pronghorn. He immediately shipped out the replacements so they would arrive on time and sent a return label for the 32s. Mike said that customer service is a top priority for SKRE. So far, so good!

3. Initial quality. The jacket, vest, and pants are comparable in quality of construction and materials to their more expensive competition. I was a little surprised given SKRE's lower MSRP. I did notice a couple small, less-than-perfect stitches on the baselayers, but it appears to be cosmetic only, as I pulled and stretched on seams, and saw no signs of weakness.

Right away these pieces look like a good value, and we will see how they hold up in the field.

I also received some SKRE gear, and look forward to field use.

For reference I am 5'9" and 170. In most outdoor clothing I wear a medium, but occasionally size up to larges for layering. For pants I usually run a 30-32X32.

A couple initial notes:

1. Sizing: Size up! The SKRE website indicates that the tops fit small, so I ordered Larges in the tops, and the Wasatch baselayer, Hardscrabble jacket, and Hardscrable vest all fit well enough. Just right in the shoulders and sleeve length, but roomy in the torso. In the pants the medium Wasatch bottoms fit appropriately tight for layering. The Hardscrabble pants in 32 regular were great in inseam length, but way too tight in the hips and butt.

2. Customer service. I contacted Mike about exchanging the pants for 34 regular, and told him I planned to use them this upcoming weekend hunting pronghorn. He immediately shipped out the replacements so they would arrive on time and sent a return label for the 32s. Mike said that customer service is a top priority for SKRE. So far, so good!

3. Initial quality. The jacket, vest, and pants are comparable in quality of construction and materials to their more expensive competition. I was a little surprised given SKRE's lower MSRP. I did notice a couple small, less-than-perfect stitches on the baselayers, but it appears to be cosmetic only, as I pulled and stretched on seams, and saw no signs of weakness.

Right away these pieces look like a good value, and we will see how they hold up in the field.

Matt, do they know you do reviews and such for this website? Just curios because that seems like extraordinary CS, but wouldn't shock me if the company knew their gear was being reviewed.

Competition is always good for the consumer, so I hope they do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like these are worth a look forward to the review after some hard field use

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, do they know you do reviews and such for this website? Just curios because that seems like extraordinary CS, but wouldn't shock me if the company new their gear was being reviewed.

Competition is always good for the consumer, so I hope they do well.

They know that I am reviewing the clothes for Rokslide, but the service I received was still exceptional, IMO.

They know that I am reviewing the clothes for Rokslide, but the service I received was still exceptional, IMO.

Matt not disagreeing at all, but do you feel if you were Joe blow they would have treated you the same?

Not making accusations, just curious as I don't know them from Adam and if they treat all their customers with CS like that they will do well.

I really do feel we are in the golden age for outdoor gear. Everyone's stuff is so good, CS and good people can easily sway people. I know it has for me.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt not disagreeing at all, but do you feel if you were Joe blow they would have treated you the same?

Valid question. My subjective impression from communicating with Mike was that they would do this for anybody.

I agree that CS is at least as important as the actual performance of the hunting clothing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
tips, we invited SKRE on as I have a relationship with one of the owners pre-SKRE, Travis Roundy. He knows what Rokslide's all about and that CS is top-of-the list here with sponsors and that we wouldn't invite anyone on here who wasn't going to offer great CS. Time will tell, but we felt good giving them a shot. Ultimatley it will be the members who make that judgement and believe me, I listen close to what you guys say about CS.

Really wanted to give our members a less expensive option for new gear and I wore poly for years and found it very durable and economic.

Last edited:
tips, we invited SKRE on as I have a relationship with one of the owners pre-SKRE, Travis Roundy. He knows what Rokslide's all about and that CS is top-of-the list here with sponsors and that we wouldn't invite anyone on here who wasn't going to offer great CS. Time will tell, but we felt good giving them a shot. Ultimatley it will be the members who make that judgement and believe me, I listen close to what you guys say about CS.

Really wanted to give our members a less expensive option for new gear and I wore poly for years and found it very durable and economic.

Sounds good Robby, I look forward to guys putting it to hard use. I love poly as well.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also received a pile of gear from SKRE. I will post items/specs later as it literally showed up while I was pulling out of the driveway heading to Disneyland! I did manage to grab my vest, jacket, and sweatshirt though to test in this rugged, non forgiving climate of Southern California.

First impressions are really good! I'm very surprised at quality and feel of materials given the price point. It sounds like top notch guys that want to put the customer first(go read on what SKRE is about on their site)

I wore the vest last night and it so far so good! The camo pattern really works I'll tell ya, dumbo let me climb on top of him and he didn't know i was there. I did notice one of the pocket zippers wasn't the smoothest. I have not examined it closely yet. Also, while sitting down the vest rides up in your arm pits. The jury is still out on the cause, I'm thinking because it is brand new it is stiff but will find out in due time.

As far as fit, on their site there is a fitment guide meter, so far I have found it to be accurate.

Off to ride some more rides!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Disneyland! I did manage to grab my vest, jacket, and sweatshirt though to test in this rugged, non forgiving climate of Southern California.

The camo pattern really works I'll tell ya, dumbo let me climb on top of him and he didn't know i was there.

lmao. First review on RS from Disneyland

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I received the 34 inch pants. They fit great, just like 32s from other companies. Definitely size up. Mike told me that they would treat any customer just as they treated me, and reaffirmed SKRE is committed to top shelf customer service.

I used the jacket in a downpour two days ago, and the DWR was very impressive. The tags indicate the DWR is a brand name: Teflon. I was in the rain for about half an hour, and the fabric didn't soak through. The Hardscrabble Jacket isn't a rain jacket, but sure seems like it would work in a pinch.

A lot of DWRs work great at first, but soon lose their efficacy. We will see how the Teflon DWR holds up on the SKRE gear.

The surface of the soft shell pieces is pretty stiff when new, but already is softening up. The sheer exterior does make some noise, and I will monitor that as the clothes break in as well.

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had same experience with stiffness as Matt. At first, collar on vest was annoying because it wouldn't lay down. It is getting better with time.
bc35513836bbec9eda581bfb16082db4.jpg

This is how I feel at the end of day 3 of Disneyland.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
A friend texted me saying he spent the last half hour on the phone with the guys at SKRE and it was a pleasant experience. They took the time to answer all of his questions and also said customer relations is where they want to set themselves apart from other companies.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a photo of the teflon tag the hardscrabble line comes with
2ec133a5be2aa065925355579493513b.jpg
80b82c7f2f52e1638a6705c8a1c0d6f1.jpg

Just got home and threw everything in the wash. I'm glad I sized up! I went with 34 pants when I usually go with 32. I'm short so they are long but inseam isn't terribly long. I will update on fit after the wash.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm 5'7" 165lbs

I ordered hardscrabble pants, vest, and jacket in 34, medium, and large respectively. I picked up the Unita early season pants as well in 34 along with the wasatch top in medium, and a mad trapper hoodie in medium.

The medium vest fits snugly but that could also be the buffet with Mickey Mouse talking. Jacket fits well however I have not tried it on with an insulating layer.

I'm really digging the pocket layout of everything especially the consistency between the two pants. It appears they are the same cut just made of different material. This is a huge plus for me. I am an annoyingly consistent guy if you ask my wife;) the pants also have a rubber like material on the inside of the waist belt to assist in keeping them above your butt!

Again, definitely size up. I'm usually a medium in tops but I believe I'll be ordering a large wasatch soon. The medium is just too tight. The inside has an almost velvet like feel. Very very soft and comfortable.

Mad trapper hoodie is basically a performance fleece material and note when washing, tie a knot in your hood string when washing if you want to keep it. Mine came out, luckily I usually yank those anyway.

There's rumor of them introducing a merino baselayer along with an insulating layer! I'm very excited to see more about that. Personally I am a huge merino fan.

OP
dirtytough
I took the SKRE gear for a test drive today. Got to a glassing spot first thing in the morning. It was 29* according to my truck and windy. Real feel was probably low 20's. While sitting there glassing I had on the Wasatch baselayers, Madtrapper hoodie, and the Hardscrabble pants and coat. My legs were a little cold but my upper body was warm. I really like the hood on the coat.

After not seeing anything interesting I went for a hike to scout a new area. Did 13-14 miles. Never wore the jacket again. I was comfortable the whole time while hiking. Nothing bunched or pulled at me anywhere. I hiked with the baselayers, madtrapper, and hardscrabble pants about half of the miles. The other half with just the pants and the Wasatch top. Pants stayed up whether I had the baselayer on or not. Like Travis mentioned they have a rubber band inside that helps keep them up. Other pants I have used extensively in the past have the same thing but the band on the hardscrabble is just a little taller for more grip. This afternoon it warmed up. The vents in the pant legs were a nice feature I've never had on pants before. I didn't like the zippers with the flaps over them on the cargo pockets at first. But I got used to them throughout the day.

There were a few things that bothered me on the jacket. Probably just my ocd lol. First thing is the jacket doesn't go as far down in the front as the back. It's nice when you are sitting cause it doesn't bunch up. But it bothered me that in the front the hoodie hung lower then the front of the jacket when standing. The other was the cuff straps. They are velcro to tighten up the cuffs. Well I didn't need them tightened and the straps were barely long enough to velcro without tightening the cuffs. They came undone a couple times on me since there wasn't much to hold them in place. It just bothered me them hanging loose even though they weren't in the way of anything.

The pants were quiet enough walking through grass/brush that I got within 15-20 yards of multiple bedded deer before they blew out. I wasn't stalking, just walking along from glassing spot to glassing spot.

Anyway over all I like the gear so far. Hopefully it holds up to abuse.

Regards, Branden

I have been a proud owner of SKREgear this season. Every piece has stood up to the test here in the mountains of Wyoming. I am very excited for the new Ultra Down jacket and Rain Gear that has just come out. Early mornings were single digits up high and the down will be really nice for that.

*Note - The fit is "athletic" so I would size up if you plan to layer. SKREgear is running 20% off right now!

From the website:

Get 20% off Gear Up Sale.
Use promo code GET20 on the website and get instant savings.
That's not all!
We are taking pre-orders on the new Rain Gear and the new Ultra Down jacket!

Ultralight Hunting Gear & Apparel | Skre Geargoose1.jpg

Last edited: