The best hunting rain gear?

I don't hunt that kind of weather, but if I did I buy a Sitka product because I know they'd stand behind it. .02

Shotgun

FNG
I've been super happy with my Sitka Coldfront. I had the original and the latest version. I've always stayed dry with it no matter how wet it was. Biggest mistake they made with the new model is no pit zips. I used to love wearing that and my merino base on a rainy day with the pits open. The new one has nice features that I like, but miss those zips.

kicker338

WKR
It's a totally different world in Colorado/Utah, some of the southern states, heck even S. Idaho is like another planets.

It doesn't have to rain that day to get wet here. The brush stays wet for days.

You sure got that right if it's rained here in horth ID you better be prepared to wear rain clothes for the next few days lol. As far as fain clothes go, I have several different ones. For real light showers I carry cabalas light wt packable ones and as the rain get's worse I go to heaver ones. When it rains like it did yesterday I stay home ha ha.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I know this doesn't help but, years ago, I bought an Eddie Bauer saddle-color, hooded rain jacket that is made of rip-stop nylon with a light silicone type backing and is seam sealed. In addition, the zipper is also waterproof. While it does not breathe well it is vented across the shoulders. I've used this jacket so many times over the years and have never gotten wet from participation; even when hunting in multiple days of rain and/or snow. Like most rain jackets it needs additional venting to keep down sweat but, it is extremely light weight and packs into it's own pocket. I hope the jacket lasts a while longer as I've not seen another one like it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive been using the KUIU Yukon jacket for several years.. this stuff is bombproof from tears and snags and will keep you dry only downside is moderately heavy and will take up space in the pack....for my overnighter recently I wanted something that was very lite and tough so I went out on a limb and bought a marmot minimalist and it rocked it hard! This first two weeks in Idaho has seen crazy rain...I hunted in it and packed with it...I give it a gold star so far after 5 heavy days of use with zero tears....if you like neon green it is great :) The KUIU Yukon also gets a great rating just heavier............for pants I pick up stuff on sale and am currently wearing basic cabelas gortex pants that are very tough and keep you dry for $50 in the bargain cave...I liked these so much I grabbed a second pair. Pants always get shredded around here and in seasons like this you are living in them so want something that will keep me dry but also does not cost an arm and a leg as the brush just tends to shred them over time.

Last edited:

jkra410

FNG
Kryptek Poseidon top and bottom so far has kept me dry and packs super light. Have a Koldo jacket ready to go when it gets really ugly. Haven't had to break it out yet.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

As a guy who's made a living hunting and fishing in both prince William sound and Kodiak and a fisherman out on the chain I can tell you that nothing holds a candle to Swazi gear for being brush busting shit that doesn't get wet. Is it going in my pack on a sheep hunt? Nope cuz it's too heavy but it absolutely is tough good gear that stands heads above arcteryx or Sitka stuff in the brush. Stoney creek long bush coat if your slow hunting and on a budget.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with the kryptek aegis jacket, it has peaked my interest due to the inferno option for rifle hunting in WA, I understand it is more insulated but how is it for a rain coat?

welpro222

WKR
I was thinking about the inferno aegis, but the cost and I like being able to layer up and down. Turned me away from it. I run the kifaru puffy, koldo, and a kryptek inferno vest instead, I bought these second hand so it cost the same as the aegis. I do love my kryptek serpa in inferno camo.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see where the poseiden came in inferno, I like that idea, it would be a lot like I run my yukon light under neath with a heavier jacket, The heaviness of the agies was my big concern when it comes to layering. How well does the vest work?

I haven't had the privilege to use any of the fancy gear yet. I have been using my standard issue gortex jacket and pants. also using the rain jacket from Costco. It is just a jacket that keeps rain out and for $20, it is great for a guy on a budget. you will get warm though. seems the case with any other rain jacket. hunting Eastern Wa. and it has been wet these last couple weeks

welpro222

WKR
I didn't see where the poseiden came in inferno
It doesn't, I meant as a replacement for the Koldo in my layering system. The Inferno vest is very nice, but heavy for a hunters orange vest. Its great for (truck) hunting, but I'll take a regular light vest for any back country stuff. If you consider the inferno vest make sure to size down one, I wear a large in Kryptek tops and the medium vest fit me perfect even with my layers.

I was hoping for Kryptek to make inferno an option for most if not all layers, but it doesn't look like that is gonna happen according to a few reply e-mails I got from them.

What do you guys use for day in and day out shitty weather? Here in North Idaho it's rained the last 9 days straight. So basically from Oct 10 on, you better have an outer shell that can take on brush and hold back water. I've used Kuiu's Yukon jacket, Sitka's ColdFront and the First Lite SEAK. I have a good idea about what works, but I want to hear from you guys.
So what do you use? Sounds like N. Idaho is similar to Sweden... Just curious

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Cml5895

FNG
I have a Badlands Exo set and I love it. Breathable, keeps me dry and I picked it up from AT for 75% off brand new price.