Zip-Off Long Johns

Weekender

WKR
The 145s fit way different then the 210s. I hated to 210s and sent them back. The 145s are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
So they're just out of XXL? They didn't show them in OR out of stock.

Good call, I had to go look at them. They are XL. I'm 6'3 255. I must be remembering it wrong. I am getting old. And fat.

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
I just sent a comment to Kuiu. I ordered the XL Zip-Offs based on a statement from Kuiu in their blog entry "Merino Zip-Off Bottoms: Function and Efficiency". In the comments Kuiu informs a person that the XL is sized for a 40" waist. Since my waist is less then that I figured I was set. So much for that idea.
I'll let you know what they say.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I just sent a comment to Kuiu. I ordered the XL Zip-Offs based on a statement from Kuiu in their blog entry "Merino Zip-Off Bottoms: Function and Efficiency". In the comments Kuiu informs a person that the XL is sized for a 40" waist. Since my waist is less then that I figured I was set. So much for that idea.

i wear a 40 and they fit me.

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
i wear a 40 and they fit me.

Really, the Merino 210s? Then maybe there's a QC issue with mine, I wear 36"-38", and no way do I have enough room or stretch to put them on as designed (zipping on without removing boots).

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Really, the Merino 210s? Then maybe there's a QC issue with mine, I wear 36"-38", and no way do I have enough room or stretch to put them on as designed (zipping on without removing boots).

No, 145's. sorry

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
It is a major issue with them especially selling online. Not only are their sizes off, but they aren't consistent within their own product line. I have two different pairs of pants, same size but one is super snug and one is baggy

dotman

WKR
I use mine all the time and they have truly changed the layering decision making process in the mornings. Strangely they fit me great and don't fall down which I can't say the same for most long underwear I have worn. I have only tried on the first lite but they fit bigger in the butt and waist for the same size legs than the kuiu bottoms. I like the first lite but the first time you get hot and have them off and bundled back up in under a minute compared to your friend messing around with boots for 5 minutes plus you will be sold. The zippers never touch my skin at least not that I can tell, could be because they are tighter fitting on my legs.

Don't you need to remove your pants and boots to remove or are they a full zip from bottom to top so you can just pull them off? Yeah I haven't even consider zipoff base layers I haven't looked.

ljalberta

WKR
Don't you need to remove your pants and boots to remove or are they a full zip from bottom to top so you can just pull them off? Yeah I haven't even consider zipoff base layers I haven't looked.

The Kuiu base layers are full zip. Drop your pants, zip or unzip your base layer and pull your pants back up. No need for unlacing the boots.

colonel00

WKR
Full zip off. I have a couple pairs coming to try out :D

I'm in the same group as others as I will sometimes not want to hassle with base bottoms knowing that I'll just want to pull them off as soon as the sun is up. However, that leaves me shivering in the cold until the sun does come up.

Wish first lite would do this. A pair that fit true to size and not hip hugger style, plenty of room for me and the boys. Have the 145 kuius and they could be a bit bigger all around and they are one size up. Love the concept, really handy on a kayak paddle when the morning chill is gone and the sun takes over.

for archery elk if i wore tiburon pants would i want 210s or 145s? would i be warm enough? i figure rain pants could block wind if needed

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
for archery elk if i wore tiburon pants would i want 210s or 145s? would i be warm enough? i figure rain pants could block wind if needed
Had the same thought, went with the kenai pants, and 145's. Kenai for cold and 145 for that slight late afternoon chill. With rain pants I think I should be good though most anything

Odell

Lil-Rokslider

It would depend on a lot of things, the weather, how active you are and how warm you run. But I do that with 145s and stay plenty warm while moving. If I stop and glass or sit sometimes I have to throw down pants on as well. Nice option to have and they all zip

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, I just got a pair of the peloton 200 zip off bottoms. I also have the merino 145s that fit great. I had previously tried the merino 210s, but they were way too tight as many have mentioned. I sent them back. The pelotons have a little more stretch than the merino 210, but are still a little tighter than the merino 145s. I'll keep the pelotons because they were very warm. Wore them on my walk with the dog this morning at 17 degrees F and 25-30 mph winds.

FURMAN

WKR
Am I the only one that is bothered by the velcro on the sides? It feels like sandpaper all morning long.

FreeRange

WKR

I would say 145's. Aside from in the wind the 145 + tiburon is warmer than the attacks and the general consensus seems to be the attacks are good for sept, which was my finding the first year I used attacks early season. The last two years I've gone with tiburons and they are so much better once it warms up.

GKPrice

Banned

145's DO fit differently than the 210's, by a significant margin - One of the problems is that KUIU "thinks" their stuff is beyond reproach and don't really take kindly to any of us "mere mortal hunters" critiqueing their stuff - Personally I think it's the best darn invention to come along in a "coon's age" so I just make do with the 145's -