Zip-Off Long Johns

Am I the only one that is bothered by the velcro on the sides? It feels like sandpaper all morning long.

I have a set of 145s. 38 waist and XL fits well. I tend to wear a set of boxer breifs under them in case I ditch them I won't be commando.

My other long underwear is a few sets of Patagonia in various weights from silk to expedition.

The kuiu has become my go to. In a light pant like the corrugated I am good in them to 20s if moving. I Need more if stationary in a stand. I find I actually really like the over the boot design. The side zips would be less use if you had the legs tucked down in your boots or under your socks.

I will probably buy more for next year. If kuiu is listening, I would appreciate synthetic in the solid colors. I rarely hunt in my underwear where camo would help but I do use my hunting gear for backpacking and other stuff where the camo looks odd.

Am I the only one that is bothered by the velcro on the sides? It feels like sandpaper all morning long.
No you are not. The double layer of the tab plus my pants with belt means a couple pressure spots on my hips. I tuck in the first layer shirt to cushion that area. Never used the zip-off feature in the field, only tried at home to see how it works. Wish they made a non zipper version.

twall13

WKR
No you are not. The double layer of the tab plus my pants with belt means a couple pressure spots on my hips. I tuck in the first layer shirt to cushion that area. Never used the zip-off feature in the field, only tried at home to see how it works. Wish they made a non zipper version.

If you don't like the zipper buy some First Lite Glenbrook Aerowool 3/4 length bottoms. They are short like the Kuiu zip offs so they don't go down in your boots but they lack the kuiu zippers. IMO First Lite's Aerowool is way more comfortable against the skin than the Kuiu Ultra Merino. The only reason I bought the Kuiu's over the First Lite is because of the zippers.

FURMAN

WKR
I agree First lite wool is more comfortable. I bought Kuiu for the zip off. I would second the suggestion to go First lite if you don't want the zippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you don't like the zipper buy some First Lite Glenbrook Aerowool 3/4 length bottoms. They are short like the Kuiu zip offs so they don't go down in your boots but they lack the kuiu zippers. IMO First Lite's Aerowool is way more comfortable against the skin than the Kuiu Ultra Merino. The only reason I bought the Kuiu's over the First Lite is because of the zippers.

I agree First lite wool is more comfortable. I bought Kuiu for the zip off. I would second the suggestion to go First lite if you don't want the zippers.

I'll have to check those out, I have a pair of the Aerowool boxers and they seem ok. Temperature fluctuations for me are not very broad when I'm hunting so when I dress for the day I normally only change an outer layer if anything.

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider

Nope. I wish they had used a subtle snap like you see on some of the sitka stuff. Not on their base layers but sometimes with hoods and stuff.

It is a lot of bulk under a hip belt and as you say, don't line the velcro up just right...

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't live without my side zip base layers.

I think they really shine in wet ground or snow conditions. Not having to take your boots off and risking a soaker is great. At least for a klutz like me.

As someone else mentioned I'd not put a base layer on in the morning and freeze for the first two hours. Or put them on and leave them on until I was much too hot.

I was chatting with someone at Sitka about an order and brought up the side zips for base layers.

He hadn't heard of them but was going to take a look and pass it along. For what that brief conversation was worth.

I guess we'll have some idea after SHOT show if something like that is brewing at Sitka.

I like both of the KUIU zip off base layers. But kinda don't like KUIU, as a matter of principal. Those are my only two pieces left.

Not sure my beef with KUIU is enough to not use their long johns, but man both Hairston and his army drive me nuts.

Bughalli

WKR
I would be hard pressed to ever buy long johns without zippers again. I love the zip off long john. In Sept (CO elk at 11,000ft) I used the merino 145s under Tiburon pants. Awesome setup for that first hour of sunlight when it's cold. Then super quick to zip them off and not deal with them again. Soooo much easier than dealing with boots, gaiters, etc. Seems you want to zip them off just when the morning action is in full swing, so time is of the essence. I liked them so much I bought the Peleton 210's for a mid Nov. elk hunt. Very warm, but not as comfortable. Much more snug through the leg and more so in the butt, even though it was the same size. They wore lower on my hips/waist and sometimes felt like they would pull down my butt when I sat down. Not horrible, but not as great of an experience as I had with the 145s either.

Zippers being cold....I never noticed it, but I usually slept in mine, so I wouldn't have experienced cold pants in the morning.

Velcro....I was skeptical and sometimes they took a little adjusting, but I didn't experience any discomfort under the backpack hip belt.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
I had to sell the kuiu zipoffs i tried. Tight enough in the calves to cut off circulation and was couple inches too big in the waist. A functioning elastic waist band might have solved that, but the lower leg fit wasnt happening. Maybe im just shaped wierd.

jspradley

WKR
I had to sell the kuiu zipoffs i tried. Tight enough in the calves to cut off circulation and was couple inches too big in the waist. A functioning elastic waist band might have solved that, but the lower leg fit wasnt happening. Maybe im just shaped wierd.
Nah brah....It's the zipoffs..Haha

I LOVE the design, the quality is top notch but the fit is just weird. my legs aren't that big but they are WAY too tight over the thighs and the plumbers crack is bad with them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I talked with Callahan from FL for about 15 minutes last January trying to convince him to make full length zip off merino bottoms. We didn’t see eye to eye. He kept asking “why zip off merino baselayers when we have zip off puffy pants?” I explained it to him, but I think it fell on deaf ears. I’ll try again next year! Until then, it’s Kuiu capris for me

FlyGuy

WKR
Old post I know,
But I found there is another option Products Archive - Northern Playground

These guys maybe 'invented' the zip off long-johns?

Seems like a great concept, I am not sure why other brands have not gone this route.
That is awesome! Anyone tried these? Think I might pull the trigger. Wondering if I should go with the Capri or full length? The Capri makes logical sense, but man it just looks silly. Not sure I can get past that.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Love mine but the legs are a tad short for me.Worth it on 'those' days though.Talk to a seamstress-not easy and there are reasons few make them.Rather than bashing,maybe we should be thankful for Kuiu trying.Bashing just too convenient nowadays and shows a lack of thought most times.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is awesome! Anyone tried these? Think I might pull the trigger. Wondering if I should go with the Capri or full length? The Capri makes logical sense, but man it just looks silly. Not sure I can get past that.

Pull your boot/calf socks over top of them and no one can tell they aren't full length. ;)

Elkeater

FNG
Best thing that ever happened to long johns IMO! Wish that more companies made them (and for less$$) so I didn't feel bad wearing them for every outdoor activity! Super convenient and my buddies are jealous when I'm shedding thread so effortlessy without taking my boots off. Love em!

Best thing that ever happened to long johns IMO! Wish that more companies made them (and for less$$) so I didn't feel bad wearing them for every outdoor activity! Super convenient and my buddies are jealous when I'm shedding thread so effortlessy without taking my boots off. Love em!

holy necro post, Batman. Well...it is Timely. First lite is now making zipoffs. Hurray!

Elkeater

FNG
Ya I didn't really think about it being a 2 + year old thread. :unsure:Good to hear someone else is making them now! Cheers!