any interest in a warm/light over-bootie for glassing in cold weather?

I bought the artic shields. $46 on amazon and delivered in 5 days.

8.2 oz each for size XL so just over a pound for the pair.
Size XL barely and I mean just barely fits my size 13 kenetrek mountain extremes and that is with some grunting and pulling
Sole is grippy haplon rubbery stuff with insulation but no cushion
Body has same insulation as sole.
Has a 1000d rand and trim at the ankle
Material is fleecy soft shell stuff
Medium duty zipper at back
Draw cord top and clips to pair them like mittens.

I am going to try them out in this last couple of weeks of the season when I am stand sitting. Will report results. If I decide to keep them, I would probably size them up for easier Duffing and donning.

Looking forward to hearing how you like them, Desk Jockey. I've been considering an insulated overboot for predator hunting. If I'm moving the 200g on my Crispi Guides is great down in the single digits...but once I'm sitting still for an hour or more the feet get cold.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well another hunting season has passed and happened to be colder than average and still no Apex over booties that I can find- anyone?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
well another hunting season has passed and happened to be colder than average and still no Apex over booties that I can find- anyone?

No, because it doesn't work well. Have used just about every pair out there and none of them really work. Using an overboot means that you have to heat, and potentially melt, the cold/frozen boots you are wearing before the over can help. Your feet just don't get enough blood flow to dry out and heat up boots while sitting still.

The best answer we've found is to take your shoes off and throw on some booties.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmmm- on the move, my feet are fine- usually warm- you'd think by adding a good insulating layer over them it would preserve at least some of that heat- much like adding a parka over the upper body when stopped

but maybe not? :)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Your feet are warm because of the air in the boot has been heated up. The problem is the boots, especially the soles are cold and the heat from your feet isn't enough to warm them up once you stop. The bottom of the boots act like a heat sink.

Skeeter

FNG
This year I used the Arctic Shield boot covers with non-insulated boots. I put them on immediately while my feet were warm, and then I kept my feet on a Z-Lite seating pad so I wouldn’t loose as much heat through my soles. The z-Lite pad made a noticeable difference when combined with the boot covers. Guess that’s not rocket science, but I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. I am also going to try the Wiggys overboots with a pad next year.

I tried the hand/foot warmers. The little ones for the feet aren't great but do help a bit and last about 4-6 hours.
Next time I will see about using the larger hand ones, if my foot to boot fit allows it. They work great in my mittens for the hands, and decent for the feet. Even when I have to hike, the small ones aren't uncomfortable. Just depends if it is a glassing day or hiking day whether or not I bring them. I have yet to try electric socks, but some of my areas it is brutal cold, and it will be worth the try.

akrdkill

WKR
anyone try the thermocell elect insoles...turn on when you start to chill...turn off when you walk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking that the overbootie should have a good layer of closed cell foam on the bottom- I have down booties that came with weather resistant shells and they include a layer of ccf on the bottom- definitely helps

I use a sitpad, maybe I need to carry a larger one that I can rest my boots on as well

sneaky

"DADDY"
my feet seem to always succumb first to cold when glassing in the cold; this year on a particularly cold morning I had somewhat of an epiphany :) an over-bootie that goes over the boots you're wearing (no taking your boots off to pull on down booties or the like)- ripstop nylon inside/out-relatively sturdy denier, Climashield Apex for insulation, ~ mid-calf high w/ a cinch cord, an inner ccf pad as an insole

these would not be designed to walk in, but instead something in a small stuff sack in your pack that can easily be removed and slipped over your boots

Enlightened Equipment makes several items out of Climashield, including traditional booties- I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them to make something to go over a boot????

Thoughts?

I just carry a set of Arctic Shield boot blankets with me, problem solved. Toss a handwarmer in each one, roll it up, already warm when I need it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received a pm from JimCrag last year that he was going to build such an overboot, but haven’t heard anything from him since

sneaky

"DADDY"
my feet seem to always succumb first to cold when glassing in the cold; this year on a particularly cold morning I had somewhat of an epiphany :) an over-bootie that goes over the boots you're wearing (no taking your boots off to pull on down booties or the like)- ripstop nylon inside/out-relatively sturdy denier, Climashield Apex for insulation, ~ mid-calf high w/ a cinch cord, an inner ccf pad as an insole

these would not be designed to walk in, but instead something in a small stuff sack in your pack that can easily be removed and slipped over your boots

Enlightened Equipment makes several items out of Climashield, including traditional booties- I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them to make something to go over a boot????

Thoughts?

Have you looked at the Valandre Olan overboots? Good down to negative 13 and weigh 6.7 ounces for the pair.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just looked them up- from what I can see they are a bootie for camp; have you tried them over your boots? I would want a relatively robust fabric on the inner to insure no damage is from the boots. They do look uber warm :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
still not finding anyone making such an overboot; still think it would be well received by big game hunters :)

Shraggs

WKR
mtwarden, arctic shield works. Not a big investment to try this winter.

As stated above, put them on immediately as you sit to glass, while foot is warm. Their technology is to retain radiant heat. They do work. Not for hours, form is right since your not generating heat but a toe warmer will extend your sit comfort. They’ll easily keep you warm gr the 45 minutes before you move. The more insulated your boots are the less effective blankets are. I like artic shield better then ice breaker just due to size. Mine are 12 oz I think for large my boots are 10.5.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
is there any insulation in them or just a reflective shell? insulation in the bottom- foam or something?

Thanks

Anozira

WKR
I don't know what brand they are but Camofire has some sort of insulated boot cover every once in a while. I have been tempted to try them.

Edit: Looks like they are the artic shield brand that were already discussed.