any interest in a warm/light over-bootie for glassing in cold weather?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my feet seem to always succumb first to cold when glassing in the cold; this year on a particularly cold morning I had somewhat of an epiphany :) an over-bootie that goes over the boots you're wearing (no taking your boots off to pull on down booties or the like)- ripstop nylon inside/out-relatively sturdy denier, Climashield Apex for insulation, ~ mid-calf high w/ a cinch cord, an inner ccf pad as an insole

these would not be designed to walk in, but instead something in a small stuff sack in your pack that can easily be removed and slipped over your boots

Enlightened Equipment makes several items out of Climashield, including traditional booties- I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them to make something to go over a boot????

Thoughts?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah- similar to that :) not sure what they are using for insulation, not sure how light or small they pack up- do you have a pair?

charvey9

WKR
I think there could certainly be a market for it in the UL crowd and they could double as cold weather camp shoes. I'd by a pair.

I have some boot blankets, and they work but are bulky as hell.

Trial153

WKR
I have a light weight fleece one that has a nylon bottom. It has a place for a hand warmer in each..they don't take up any space at all and work decent. I have used them in the tree stand many times. Never thought about taking them on a winter time hunt when sitting glassing, I think I will pack them for my NM hunt in a couple weeks and see how they do.

Icebreaker
Arcticsheild
Boot suits

Can't seem to find any that are backpacker friendly - packable and realty light weight.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really like to take off my boots and then have to put them back on- especially if I'm glassing a lot of country and having to move every 45 minutes to an hour

also a lot quicker if I had an overboot to get moving again if the need arises

down booties would definitely work (I have a really warm pair); I just think an over bootie would be better suited- especially if I could come up with a light, low volume pair

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
most of the down booties I've seen/used have a pretty light denier material (to keep weight down)- I'd be reluctant to put my boots in them for fear of tearing them- as you know they are spendy (but effective :) )

Climashield Apex would keep costs down, but still provide decent warmth- also less impacted by moisture

looks like several products out there, the reviews seem to be rather mixed on most of them

rayporter

WKR
i have the boot blankets and they for sure work. light but a little bulky. i have walked in them in deep snow with no trouble. not far maybe a half mile at most. i will watch the hot mocs with interest.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds like they are on the bulky side from the post above yours; preferably a light AND low volume option could be made (maybe???)

LBFowler

WKR
EE already has their hands full keeping up with overwhelming demand for their quilts, good luck talking them into trying a new product right now.

Really there are already several overboot types/makers and they probably don't sell a ton as it is. for what you want the wiggy's overboots sound like the closest thing.

For just throwing on I'm not sure they would do a whole lot, if your boot is cold your feet will still have to heat up the thermal mass of the boot before the overboot would do anything. For me just making sure my feet are off the ground (like on a pad or even just some branches) does the most for keeping them from freezing during stops.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I thought with a few minor tweaks, their (EE) Apex booties would work- a little oversize to fit over a boot, little heavier material

it wasn't that long ago Tim was a one man shop and did a lot of custom work (he modified a couple of packs for me and turned a sleeping bag into a quilt), those days are gone :D