Made in the USA Clothing Brands?

ofl0926

WKR
Check out my buddy's new camo line. He's a former Navy SEAL and avid outdoorsman. It's called SixSite. All done in the USA although the fabric/textiles come from overseas.

I own all of the early season gear but haven't taken the cold weather gear in the field yet. It's rock solid though.

SIXSITE

I saw this stuff on Facebook. You really like it? What clothing line would you compare it too? How's the fit? Active or still type hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIXSITE

FNG
ofl0926, first time posting in here, so I hope my reply is in the right spot.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have on the SIXSITE line. Launched it in January 2016 but have been working on the design and company since July 2013. 3.5 years is a long time and mostly due to the fact that manufacturing domestically is extremely hard. A few reasons for that. 1)There are very few quality, reputable domestic manufacturers that have the capability to handle "performance" clothing. Sadly, when the apparel industry went offshore a few decades ago, most domestic shops couldn't compete. I am in my 4th factory here in the US (first 3 didn't work out for various reasons). Luckily, its a great operation that handles Nike, Patagonia, US mil, etc. 2)Cost. If I make a jacket and it costs me / SIXSITE $100 to produce, with domestic manufacturing, 65% of my cost is in the labor. Overseas, labor accounts for about 35% of the cost. Again, not a hard and fast rule, but a pretty good guideline. I have about 1/2 dozen videos posted at sixsitegear.com that tell a little more on the company and why I started this brand.

As far as our line, I am competing with the premium camo brands. And as you know, "premium" because of the textiles used and quality of construction. Thats a pretty short list.

Again, happy to answer any specifics as it relates to other brands. To answer your last question in your post, I do a fair amount of DIY backcountry hunting, as well as whitetail hunting (archery)here in Texas. Its an "active" fit, but its also a pretty versatile product. Ive tested / used it in New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Texas, Louisiana and northern California. Believe me when I say this, given my previous profession, I am my biggest critic when it comes to gear, etc. Part of the reason it took 3.5 years to launch SIXSITE.

In January, I'll start advertising 100% no questions asked , money back guarantee (tag on or off, brand new out of the bag, or covered in blood). I feel that strongly about the products. It may not be for everybody, but I will stand behind the product and refund you if it doesn't meet your expectation.

Merry Christmas!!

S.L. Holley

ccarter

FNG
I've seen the SIXSITE Gear clothing up close at the Safari Club Show. It's very nice stuff, and the camo pattern would serve the way western hunters–especially some of the more backcountry type hunters that frequent this site– very well.

ofl0926, first time posting in here, so I hope my reply is in the right spot.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have on the SIXSITE line. Launched it in January 2016 but have been working on the design and company since July 2013. 3.5 years is a long time and mostly due to the fact that manufacturing domestically is extremely hard. A few reasons for that. 1)There are very few quality, reputable domestic manufacturers that have the capability to handle "performance" clothing. Sadly, when the apparel industry went offshore a few decades ago, most domestic shops couldn't compete. I am in my 4th factory here in the US (first 3 didn't work out for various reasons). Luckily, its a great operation that handles Nike, Patagonia, US mil, etc. 2)Cost. If I make a jacket and it costs me / SIXSITE $100 to produce, with domestic manufacturing, 65% of my cost is in the labor. Overseas, labor accounts for about 35% of the cost. Again, not a hard and fast rule, but a pretty good guideline. I have about 1/2 dozen videos posted at sixsitegear.com that tell a little more on the company and why I started this brand.

As far as our line, I am competing with the premium camo brands. And as you know, "premium" because of the textiles used and quality of construction. Thats a pretty short list.

Again, happy to answer any specifics as it relates to other brands. To answer your last question in your post, I do a fair amount of DIY backcountry hunting, as well as whitetail hunting (archery)here in Texas. Its an "active" fit, but its also a pretty versatile product. Ive tested / used it in New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Texas, Louisiana and northern California. Believe me when I say this, given my previous profession, I am my biggest critic when it comes to gear, etc. Part of the reason it took 3.5 years to launch SIXSITE.

In January, I'll start advertising 100% no questions asked , money back guarantee (tag on or off, brand new out of the bag, or covered in blood). I feel that strongly about the products. It may not be for everybody, but I will stand behind the product and refund you if it doesn't meet your expectation.

Merry Christmas!!

S.L. Holley

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

I am glad to see something like this, and look forward to reviews and such. I love power wool, so at the very least I'll grab a baselayer to test out. Might try the lightweight pant as my black tail archery season is normally accompanied by 100 degree weather.

If your stuff is being made in the US, you may want to have it displayed a bit more on your sight, as it does make a difference for some. As just a guy browsing what you had to offer I couldn't have told you it was US made, although maybe I missed something obvious.

You've entered a tuff market and I wish you luck.

Last edited:

SIXSITE

FNG
First and foremost, thank you for your service.

I am glad to see something like this, and look forward to reviews and such. I love power wool, so at the very least I'll grab a baselayer to test out. Might try the lightweight pant as my black tail archery season is normally accompanied by 100 degree weather.

If your stuff is being made in the US, you may want to have it displayed a bit more on your sight, as it does make a difference for some. As just a guy browsing what you had to offer I couldn't have told you it was US made, although maybe I missed something obvious.

You've entered a tuff market and I wish you luck.

Thanks for the feedback. As far as advertising the US manufacturing, I've gone back and forth on that. The biggest reason I do not have that up at this point is that I am not 100% sure that I can keep it onshore in the long term. If I have to scale really quickly, there is a chance I would be forced to go overseas. I do know, at least for the next 24 months, I have production capacity in the US. Based on current growth, I am working to add quality domestic manufacturing partners. It tough though, there aren't many at this point.

Here is the scenario I want to avoid. I advertise Made in the USA, you buy some SIXSITE gear. In 3 years, you buy more gear and there are some pieces that are made outside of the US (again, due to growth and having to scale quicker than expected). You feel like I misled you. SIXSITE loses trust and credibility.

Would love your opinion on this. Something I've struggled with since day 1. Bottom line, I am going to do everything possible to keep it domestic, but not at the risk of losing the business.

Thanks again for the feedback.

bonehunts

FNG
Good to see you on here Stephen. I completely understand the struggle and issue with misleading the consumer. That said, you are, in fact, made in the USA. I think being open and honest about what you said in your post about scaleability is key.

Maybe you should start a new thread and specifically ask Roksliders to give open and honest feedback about how they'd view your brand if you DID end up needing to go overseas to assemble. It could be a little like your own consumer focus group. It's certainly an interesting quandary, but a good one.

By the way, I own the Sixsite baselayer and lightweight/soft shell gear. I wore it on my elk hunt this year as well as rattling for whitetails. It was VERY quiet and comfortable. I've only worn Sitka gear so I can't compare to Kuiu or First Light. So far, I'm very impressed. I also note that Stephen doesn't have all of the other products yet that would allow me to fully replace my Sitka gear but I hope by next season he'll have more and I'll be able to change my gear out.

Thank you for your service to our country Stephen. Your service and sacrifice allows knuckleheads like me to enjoy this beautiful country.

Sixsite I understand maybe going overseas to keep up. But if it is so much cheaper to have done over there then the product would be cheaper on our end to right? Like Kuiu went overseas from Canada and it's like the price only dropped $10-20 bucks. I find it hard to believe that the price only dropped that much. Maybe I just wish things were cheaper like wishful thinking. I find it hard to belive that the man rice point on your stuff is less then your competition that has their shit made overseas.

SIXSITE

FNG
Sixsite I understand maybe going overseas to keep up. But if it is so much cheaper to have done over there then the product would be cheaper on our end to right? Like Kuiu went overseas from Canada and it's like the price only dropped $10-20 bucks. I find it hard to believe that the price only dropped that much. Maybe I just wish things were cheaper like wishful thinking. I find it hard to belive that the man rice point on your stuff is less then your competition that has their shit made overseas.

Couple things to think about in your statement. I'm a start up. I don't have the overhead of some of my competitors. I sell direct, like other(s), but I sell direct because my margins cannot support traditional retail distribution. More detail if you want to discuss, but I am working with 1/2 the margin that others brands have when they make products overseas. While its an uphill battle, I am ok with that. I am in this business for the long haul. Not to be cliche, but part of the allure of this competitive market for me is that too many people told me I could not compete with other brands if I had domestic manufacturing. Having served in the SEAL Teams, and having had to use gear that was subject to being Berry Compliant (google it if not familiar), no one in the world can compete with American workers as far as quality is concerned. It costs more, but IMHO, its better quality. No to mention the fact that its the right thing to do (having served all over the world - (more detail on that in another forum on another day)). Off my soapbox. Happy to discuss more if you would like.

SIXSITE

FNG
Good to see you on here Stephen. I completely understand the struggle and issue with misleading the consumer. That said, you are, in fact, made in the USA. I think being open and honest about what you said in your post about scaleability is key.

Maybe you should start a new thread and specifically ask Roksliders to give open and honest feedback about how they'd view your brand if you DID end up needing to go overseas to assemble. It could be a little like your own consumer focus group. It's certainly an interesting quandary, but a good one.

By the way, I own the Sixsite baselayer and lightweight/soft shell gear. I wore it on my elk hunt this year as well as rattling for whitetails. It was VERY quiet and comfortable. I've only worn Sitka gear so I can't compare to Kuiu or First Light. So far, I'm very impressed. I also note that Stephen doesn't have all of the other products yet that would allow me to fully replace my Sitka gear but I hope by next season he'll have more and I'll be able to change my gear out.

Thank you for your service to our country Stephen. Your service and sacrifice allows knuckleheads like me to enjoy this beautiful country.

Chris, thanks for the feedback. 8-10 more products coming in 2017, adding to the hunting line. Would love to have a "focus group", as the domestic / offshore decision has been one that I've struggled with the most. Gut instinct tells me to keep in US. But, would love feedback.

Couple things to think about in your statement. I'm a start up. I don't have the overhead of some of my competitors. I sell direct, like other(s), but I sell direct because my margins cannot support traditional retail distribution. More detail if you want to discuss, but I am working with 1/2 the margin that others brands have when they make products overseas. While its an uphill battle, I am ok with that. I am in this business for the long haul. Not to be cliche, but part of the allure of this competitive market for me is that too many people told me I could not compete with other brands if I had domestic manufacturing. Having served in the SEAL Teams, and having had to use gear that was subject to being Berry Compliant (google it if not familiar), no one in the world can compete with American workers as far as quality is concerned. It costs more, but IMHO, its better quality. No to mention the fact that its the right thing to do (having served all over the world - (more detail on that in another forum on another day)). Off my soapbox. Happy to discuss more if you would like.
Thanks for the answer and good luck. I hope to have some extra money this year to get some more stuff and Now I have another option that's made in USA. If I have any questions I won't hesitate to ask. I would love to hear some stories from your travels if you ever feel like telling them know there is at least one guy that is interested.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want some absolutely fantastic layering clothes, check out DuckworthCo.com Their wool is grown in Montana and made into cloting, entirely in the USA. They make some great stuff! Ross.A Just finished a review on a few of their products. We also sell them on our website. schnees.com

SIXSITE

FNG
Thanks for the answer and good luck. I hope to have some extra money this year to get some more stuff and Now I have another option that's made in USA. If I have any questions I won't hesitate to ask. I would love to hear some stories from your travels if you ever feel like telling them know there is at least one guy that is interested.

[email protected]

email me please. see what i can do on gear for you to test.

Mmcan

WKR
Stephen, does your SixSite Gunnison soft shell line have a "windstopper" type property to it?

SIXSITE

FNG
Stephen, does your SixSite Gunnison soft shell line have a "windstopper" type property to it?

The SIXSITE Gunnison soft-shell is made from a poly / spandex textile "face" with a lightweight fleece back. The spandex provides some good stretch and the fleece provides some insulation. While it does not have "windstopper", the fleece provides good insulation for moderate temperatures (mid 40s). Once the temp drops, I'm adding the base layers and/or the insulated pieces.

I know thats a bit subjective, but I'll give you an example from this past fall. I took the following on a late September archery elk hunt in a Colorado wilderness (elevation between 9 and 12k), hunting off my back for 8 days. Base layer top & bottom, lightweight pant, Insulated vest, soft-shell jacket. I wore the lightweight pant and soft-shell jacket (with base layer top) 85% of the time hunting. At night, I used base layer top and bottom (Polartec PowerWool), pants, insulated vest and Gunnison soft-shell. No tent, no hammock, just a lightweight bivy sack for sleeping. We had temps from 70 to 30s at the end of the hunt with snow blowing for a days at the end of the hunt. The key for me was 1)PowerWool base layer (lightweight but extremely warm) and 2) the insulated vest (120 grams/m2 of Primaloft Gold).

I know thats a long answer to a short question. Again, 100% money back guarantee if you don't like the product.

Merry Christmas!

elkguide

WKR
Tough decision on the Made in America label question. I think that as long as it is your intention to stay here, long term, I would label and explain it. IF the day comes when you can't meet demand, then cross that bridge. Best of luck to you in your venture. Looking forward to what you are coming up with.

Hopefully you can come up with the perfect garments that are..........

lightweight, quiet, wind proof, rain proof, packable, has enough pockets, tough enough, burr proof, tough zippers, quiet zipper pulls, sized well because that is exactly what I am looking for. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you too.

Slim pickin's with made is USA. Ill second wild things. Integral designs makes real good stuff and are North American (Canadian). Kifaru's parka gets good reviews and is a top notch American Co.

Mmcan

WKR
The SIXSITE Gunnison soft-shell is made from a poly / spandex textile "face" with a lightweight fleece back. The spandex provides some good stretch and the fleece provides some insulation. While it does not have "windstopper", the fleece provides good insulation for moderate temperatures (mid 40s). Once the temp drops, I'm adding the base layers and/or the insulated pieces.

I know thats a bit subjective, but I'll give you an example from this past fall. I took the following on a late September archery elk hunt in a Colorado wilderness (elevation between 9 and 12k), hunting off my back for 8 days. Base layer top & bottom, lightweight pant, Insulated vest, soft-shell jacket. I wore the lightweight pant and soft-shell jacket (with base layer top) 85% of the time hunting. At night, I used base layer top and bottom (Polartec PowerWool), pants, insulated vest and Gunnison soft-shell. No tent, no hammock, just a lightweight bivy sack for sleeping. We had temps from 70 to 30s at the end of the hunt with snow blowing for a days at the end of the hunt. The key for me was 1)PowerWool base layer (lightweight but extremely warm) and 2) the insulated vest (120 grams/m2 of Primaloft Gold).

I know thats a long answer to a short question. Again, 100% money back guarantee if you don't like the product.

Merry Christmas!

Thank You, Stephen. Do you have a shop with any products to see? Looks like you're in Dallas, on Travis, per the contact info on your website?

Last edited:

SIXSITE

FNG
Thank You, Stephen. Do you have a shop with any products to see? Looks like you're in Dallas, on Travis, per the contact info on your website?

I can give you address to our temporary warehouse. Please email me at [email protected] and Ill send.

Mid January we will move into our new building in Deep Ellum that will have warehouse, offices, and retail under one roof.