Help me pick out a Sitka jacket

Vids

WKR
Until now I've been wearing base layers and a Redhead waterproof jacket as a shell, but on a recent hunt I was hiking in a wet snowfall and got drenched with sweat underneath since that jacket doesn't breathe one bit. My legs were very happy since I was wearing Sitka pants, so I want the same type of water resistant and breathable material up top.

I'm looking for something that will work in both archery and rifle seasons, I can always layer up underneath to provide insulation in the later seasons. I like hoods a lot, so I am thinking along the lines of the Jetstream or Timberline. However, I read on another thread that the Jetstream is pretty hot in earlier seasons.

Please give me some feedback on which you think would work best for what I'm describing, and if there are other ideas out there I'm all ears. I'd be looking for a solid color (not camo) so non-hunting brands could be an option too I guess.

Thanks!

Jetstream is a great choice. I haven't tried the Timberline.

Open pits on Jetstream make it a real winner for breathability.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd also recommend the Jetstream; supposedly at some point in 2017 they are going to release a windshirt- it could also be what you're looking for- just rumor now, but have heard it multiple times

The Jetstream is pretty hot. I wouldn't wear one in archery season unless it was down in the 20's or 30's

The Kuiu Guide jacket is not quite as hot as the Jetstream, has a hood, and comes in solid colors.

It's not a rain jacket but does have a DWR coating.

ontarget7

WKR
For me personally, I love this combo for archery season

08941e310e63a036bd2e753bda81c86a.jpg

e8625c0370ab6a2a78916e725072e3e2.jpg

Core lightweight hoody
ce885e4c247346b528cc98b2b76ea405.jpg

Mountain vest
457d8510e5d78559677c341c2893440d.jpg

Timberline jacket
7b1b7abfa0f5ebeba3c8f3f7ca51abe7.jpg

Dewpoint jacket
b369207502a223363e13f6bfe79d811b.jpg

This pretty much gets me through anything during the archery season and then some. Throw in the Jetstream jacket and I am good well after archery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i do Jan AZ archery every year with my 90% jacket. it gets super cold, but with layering it is super efficient. one of my layers is a light puffy vest.

this year, i will have the FL north branch jacket instead..hope it gets me closer to a deer. ;)

KMT

WKR
I have a jetstream but rarely wear it. It's not as warm as a puffy or puffy/rain jacket combo. If I'm active enough to stay warm with the jetstream, I'm active enough to stay comfortable enough without it.

kodiakfly

WKR
I have both the JS and Timberline jacket and they're staples in my closet, but they do have their uses. The JS is heavier but warmer, while the Timberline is light, fast and sleek. I'd say the Timberline is more versatile with proper layering, however does lack pit zips and only has a couple pockets. I really think Sitka hit a homerun with the Timberline.

What Sitka pants did you have on that you liked so much?

GKPrice

Banned
I walked outside into a beginning rain, not a deluge mind you, wearing my new Timberline and was wet before the ground was I believe - NOT waterproof - If you want waterproof go with an advertised WATERPROOF jacket is my advice

Ive had a difficult time fitting the JS into my system. I've settled on a capeline/merino base layer, thermal fleece/merino mid layer, puffy and a waterproof/breathable shell. I need at least those four layers on pretty much any given hunt. The JS, although a really nice jacket, is somewhat redundant to my system because it's a little warm to wear hiking unless it's in the 20's, bulkier and not as warm as a puffy, and it's not waterproof therefore not useful if it's raining. I use it for skiing mostly. I'd suggest a good waterproof/breathable shell like the Dewpoint or the Stormfront. Good luck.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
I use a cloudburst jacket for rain, and a 90%, with proper lauding for everything else.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Both the Jetstream and Timberline have windstopper but the Timberline is seam taped. Still not waterproof but its supposed to be a little more weather resistant. If it were me I'd go with the Timberline jacket over the Jetstream. It's lighter weight which would be perfect for early archery systems and more water resistant for late in the year. It's a trim fit jacket so try them on and make sure you have room to layer underneath. All that being said the Timberline jacket only comes in camo, you'd have to go Jetstream for solids. Neither is waterproof so if you are in a downpour it's not going to stay dry.

If you need full waterproof I'd go cloudburst. Great jacket with tons of features including pit zips for breathability while still keeping you dry. That's my 2 cents, can't speak on other brands as I don't know them personally.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I love my Jetstream. So much that I bought a solid version that I wear almost everyday around town and to work. I used mine this year through all seasons (archery - 3rd rifle) in CO and for a Coues hunt in AZ during November. For archery I mostly used it while glassing above treeline or later in the season still hunting through dark timber. Worked extremely well. I was very comfortable. For the rifle season I had it on mostly the entire time. Last year I used the Kuiu Guide Jacket. They are very similar. Both come in solid colors. My system above the waist is merino base layer, Sitka mountain vest, Sitka Kelvin Down Ultra Light Jacket, Jetstream Jacket, and Kuiu Chugach Rain Gear. It got me through everything this year. Keep in mind there wasn't too much snow where I was hunting. If I had a lot of snow I would pack my Traverse Zip - T as well.

Cgeb

WKR
Sitka 90% works great in semi cold/wet weather. I just wear a Marmot Apex down jacket under it when it gets colder.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, the 90% hardly ever gets any love, but it is a great jacket. Breathes well and blocks quite a bit of wind. I was bummed out when the redid it in 2014 until I was stuck in the back of a pickup in South Africa in July. I was incredibly impressed how well that jacket and pant worked.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Thanks for all the replies! It sounds like several of their jackets could work well.

I'm starting to think about this a little differently now - my issue is when I'm hiking, and a jacket may be too much. When I'm sitting my Redhead jacket works great to cut the wind and I can always layer underneath that, so I don't really need warmth.

My system for hiking has been a couple thin layers of merino and a polyester blaze orange long sleeve T over that, then I carry a couple thicker layers and my jacket to keep me warm once I sit. The problem is the poly and merino soak through pretty quickly when walking through brush after a fresh snowfall, or in a really light rain.

My Sitka pants work great while hiking in moist conditions (timberline, 90%, or Ascents) because of the way the fabric dries out quickly and still breathes. Maybe I just need a long sleeve Sitka shirt of some kind to provide a little more water repelling and also breathing. I am going to head to the store and check out some of their light to mid weight shirts.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I will say I was ticked off when they changed the 90%...until I wore it in the field. It performs much better than the older versions with no bulk. Breathes great on climbs and cuts the wind pretty good.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I love the new core systems. The base layers are extremely comfortable and durable and they dry very quickly. The core heavyweight hoody may be my favorite piece of clothing with how versatile it is.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The core heavyweight hoody may be my favorite piece of clothing with how versatile it is.

I'd agree with this- really nice piece! basically a Patagonia R1 hoody that comes in camo :D