First Lite Obsidian

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Holy cow Ben, good thing you didn't say that about KUIU this would have turned into a bash fest and been locked by now.

To add some meaningful content I have never been a fan of the Kanab. Sent mine back.
Ha. I think you're right! I think I may have contributed to Kuiu taking the forum down on their website and Eastmans. . . And I own a lot of their stuff, but if I find something wrong with my gear that I paid a button load for I'm going to say it. I think Kuiu and First lite are doing great things! If only they'd listen to me they could be that much better!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Maybe you just got a bad pair? I'm in Az, and all my hunting is done hiking and spot and stalk, crawling around rocks and cactus and cat claw. I don't baby my gear, and I am frankly surprised that they haven't torn with everything that I have put them through. Like I said, this is just my one experience and you had your one experience. There are a lot of guys on rokslide who use kanabs and if they were really that delicate, I don't think they would be so widely used.
No. I've never owned them. . I've just heard from others that they are not always durable I terrain like we have here in Western Oregon. I've also seen a video where a guy was using them while making a stalk on a mule deer and they were shredded.

That's why a bought the Corrugates. . That and my attacks get beat up a little over here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Kanabs, but I love my corrugates. Still, I agree that they're too skinny below the knee.

charvey9

WKR
Never owned a pair of the original Kanab's, but have 2 pair of 2.0's. Only problem I have ever had was the stitches coming out on the crotch of one pair. FL replaced them no questions asked.

Compared to some of the thicker synthetic options, they probably are not as durable, but certainly not fragile. I wear mine busting through a lot of waist level brush and thorns hunting pheasant in creek bottoms and have never had them tear or wear through. They do seem to attract the burrs, but you take the good with the bad.

I don't know of any other light wool pants that perform as well. Comparing wool to other materials is like comparing apples and oranges, they each have pros and cons.

I have not seen the Obsidian just yet, but if I had to guess they are a further improvement on the Kanab 2.0. Stronger stitches, zippered pockets, etc. I find it hard to believe they would totally abandon the wool pant idea, when they are the only hunting company that makes them. I think they would have kept the Kanab 2.0's in the lineup if these were something totally new. It was probably just silly to name them Kanab 3.0.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
elk 101 has them listed on the site now in the new camo. Out of stock at the moment.

All of First lite's new gear is on preorder right now. It will be available this spring. No one would have any of the new gear in stock.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Nylon/merino mix is what I heard but haven't seen the exact specs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So I got the DL from Allie at First Lite. The new Obsidian will be 90% merino with "core-spun" Nylon. She said, for durability. That's all I know though.

DWarcher

WKR
Maybe you just got a bad pair? I'm in Az, and all my hunting is done hiking and spot and stalk, crawling around rocks and cactus and cat claw. I don't baby my gear, and I am frankly surprised that they haven't torn with everything that I have put them through. Like I said, this is just my one experience and you had your one experience. There are a lot of guys on rokslide who use kanabs and if they were really that delicate, I don't think they would be so widely used.

The confusion is because there were 3 different versions of the original Kanabs before the 2.0s; I've owned all 3. The first two I absolutely thrashed. The third held up much better but still has some tears. In spite off all that, these are some of my all time favorite pants comfort wise. I like 'em so much I just picked up some 2.0s on sale.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The confusion is because there were 3 different versions of the original Kanabs before the 2.0s; I've owned all 3. The first two I absolutely thrashed. The third held up much better but still has some tears. In spite off all that, these are some of my all time favorite pants comfort wise. I like 'em so much I just picked up some 2.0s on sale.

Sounds like the new ones could be even better.

Dobermann

WKR
This is from the description on the Elk 101 site:

Quick Overview

•Material: Durable Merino-nylon fabric | Midweight woven rip-stop fabric

•Body mapped nylon stretch for ease of movement

•Lightweight woven rip stop construction

•Ultra breathable, silent with no shine or UV signature

•Machine wash. Line dry

•Weight: 22 oz

•Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime Workmanship Guarantee

•Manufacturer Item Number: MBOB

Details

Picture the Kanab pants on steroids! Picture the perfect hunting pants in your mind, year-round use, extremely comfortable, durable as can be and packed with features. Welcome... the Obsidian Merino Pant. The Kanab pant was a legend and was the first Merino pant to really hit the hunting market. First Lite took everything that everyone loved and utilized about the Kanab but put a little extra love and flexability of the pant overall and created a pant that is really going to change the way you perform on and off the mountain. They also redesigned the fit a little also to eliminate a bunch of extra material which bagged down sharpening the weight to about 22 oz!

The major difference this pant has over the Kanab is placement of the Merino/Nylon strtech all throughout the pant. They looked at high stress areas in pants and where fabric gets pushed and pulled the most and replaced those areas with a highly durable Nylon that allows a wider freedom of movement and really extends the durability of these pants season after season. The Kanab's were great, but the Obsidian's are fantastic!
•Durable Merino-nylon fabric
•Midweight woven rip-stop fabric
•Built-in stretch and articulated fit for complete range-of-motion
•Body-mapped stretch nylon re-enforcement
•Breathable and silent
•No shine | No UV signature
•Belt and suspender loops (Suspenders included)
•Silent, scent-free, and breathable, this versatile outerwear pant excels in all conditions from active hunts to silent tree stands
•Excellent layering piece to combine with additional base layers to accommodate a broad range of temperature conditions in the field

MSRP is showing as $190, or $5 more than the Kanabs.

Sounds like a winner. I'm sitting pretty good with FL pants akready, 2 pairs of Knabs and 3 pairs of Corrugates I really like. Will probably wait for next year's Holiday sales before getting a pair in ASAT or solid tan.