First Lite Obsidian

Hall256

WKR
I really want to say that I will not buy these pants because I dont need them...but I know I would only be lying to myself. Is the conifer the same as their old Pine Green?

Gorp2007

WKR
I really want to say that I will not buy these pants because I dont need them...but I know I would only be lying to myself. Is the conifer the same as their old Pine Green?
Looks a little bit more muted, more of an olive green.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Mmcan

WKR
Holy cow Ben, good thing you didn't say that about KUIU this would have turned into a bash fest and been locked by now.

To add some meaningful content I have never been a fan of the Kanab. Sent mine back.

I'm in the same boat basically. I like them to a degree. Haven't sent them back. But I'd rather have another pair of Fusion Corrugates for damn sure.

Dobermann

WKR
These are starting to get out a little more ...

Ryan's video from Shot Show with Kenton, pub on Jan 20 (how did I miss this??): Firstlite 2017 Shot Show - YouTube

For those who were wondering about the cryptic comments about the fit changing on FL pants on a Gritty Bowmen podcast from a few months back, this short clip from Shot Show has the somewhat confusing following from Kenton: 'The pants in general have been designed to be kind of a more athletic fit. The fit hasn't changed. But what has changed is [muffled] a lot more anatomical, y'know, [he then gives some examples about different parts of the pant]. But the whole idea was that we wanted a pant that moves with your body closer to what that super-stretchy Corrugates did while still retaining the silent material'.

Anyway, FL catalog is back on Issuu: 2017 FIRST LITE WORKBOOK by Sam Rodgers - issuu

And the Obsidians are now listed at Black Ovis: First Lite Obsidian Merino Pant

And S&S: First Lite Obsidian Pants | Outerwear | S&S Archery

And Midway USA: First Lite Men's Obsidian Pants Merino/Nylon/Ripstop

And possibly others ... but none in stock yet.

Last edited:
Any one know what makes the Obsidian different than the Kanab 2.0? Why would they just rename the same thing. They must be different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

there are some subtle differences between the 2...we should have a video to release on these very soon

Stwrt9

WKR
While the Obsidians are still not showing on FL's site, someone on eBay has a pair listed ... along with a bunch of the other 2017 release gear: Access Denied

From the pics in the listing it looks as if someone is selling samples. if you look at the sizes on the tags you can tell it's not the standard small, medium, Large XL.

I love my 1st gen Kanabs. Hunted pronghorn when it was hot to beat hell. Hunted late season rifle elk, 10 degrees and with just the kanabs and their base layer bottoms I was good. I don't get their bad rap at all

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I got my Obsidian’s a week or two ago. I ordered medium as that is what I wore with my Kanab v1; my waist is 32-34. These seem to fit slightly looser/more relaxed than the Kanab, but not much so, and just like the Corrugates that I got too. The major differences from the Kanabv1 are these: nylon stretch material has been added across the top of the back of the pant, a nylon stretch material crotch gusset, nylon stretch material to the bellows of the cargo pockets, nylon stretch material also added to the inner pant cuffs (think ski pant like). This nylon stretch material is soft and quiet, seems to be a little thinner version of the same nylon as the Corrugates. The cargo pockets are different too; on the side of both thighs there is a horizontal zippered pocket with open pocket behind it both zipper and opening are covered by flap, the open pockets are larger than the zippered and have the bellows, my Samsung Galaxy S7 in Otterbox Defender case fit in the open pockets perfectly (with room for more) but will not fit due to being too tall in the zippered pockets, on the left leg next to the side pocket is a vertical zippered pocket on the front of the thigh my phone will not fit in this either. There is one right side rear pocket that is now zippered as well. The buttons for lower leg hold up thingy seem a little more to the front and are attached by nylon webbing so they dangle a little rather than being flush attached on the Kanab. These pants feel and appear very well made and I think they will be reasonably durable for a merino pant, as much or more than the Kanab which I had not durability issues with. The material over all feels a bit softer, smoother, and slightly thicker than the Kanab. I wore them for the first time Sunday on a 7 mile hike with pack; they were fantastic! Very comfortable, not too hot (temp in the 80s, moderately humid), and didn’t leave me feeling swampy despite all the sweating I did. These pants are a winner in my book. I love my Kanab pants, and like Jacob C said never understood why they had a bad rap, but I like these somewhat better. Next hike I will wear the Corrugates and see how I like them.

TheCougar

WKR
I just got back from a trip and my Obsidian pants were there waiting for me. I am 6', 185lbs, 32" waist, thunder thighs, and 32" inseam. I wore Large in the Kanab 1.0s so I ordered large Obsidians. I'm not super happy with the changes to the sizing. They are definitely larger than the Kanabs. The waist is as advertised on the site: 34-36" without stretching the elastic. The waist is much larger than my Kanabs. The thighs seem to be looser, not much, but noticeable. The inseam is a solid 1.5" longer than my Kanabs. I need to get my hands on a medium tall obsidian to figure out if I want to sell my large obsidian or have my wife tailor the waist.

I just got back from a trip and my Obsidian pants were there waiting for me. I am 6', 185lbs, 32" waist, thunder thighs, and 32" inseam. I wore Large in the Kanab 1.0s so I ordered large Obsidians. I'm not super happy with the changes to the sizing. They are definitely larger than the Kanabs. The waist is as advertised on the site: 34-36" without stretching the elastic. The waist is much larger than my Kanabs. The thighs seem to be looser, not much, but noticeable. The inseam is a solid 1.5" longer than my Kanabs. I need to get my hands on a medium tall obsidian to figure out if I want to sell my large obsidian or have my wife tailor the waist.

Good info. I was between sizes on Kanab 2s so I have held off on these.. I'm 5-10 185, typically wear 33" waist pants. I found the medium Kanab 2.0s to be too restrictive on my thighs. Large are too big. Was hoping the new Mediums would work for guys who have bigger thighs/glutes.