First Lite Obsidian

Benjblt

WKR
Any one know what makes the Obsidian different than the Kanab 2.0? Why would they just rename the same thing. They must be different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
The first gen Kanabs had a bad wrap. I personally would have renamed the 2.0s so people knew they were getting something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they're the pants I saw earlier in a video it looks like the cargo pockets are placed more towards the side of the pants instead of the front. Other than that I haven't been able to get a good look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nylon/merino mix is what I heard but haven't seen the exact specs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The 2.0's had some nylon but if this is a true blend then that's something different.

Hall256

WKR
They should have just named them Obsession...because that is what my wife is going to say I have when I order a pair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I think the most interesting thing is whether or not they will be a wool/nylon blend, what the percentage of each will be if so, and will they be more durable. I've stayed away from the Kanabs because of the durability issues. I can't afford to tear up a $160 pair of pants the first time a enter a brush patch or make a stalk.

I like First Lite and they are doing a lot of good things but there a few things that keep me from buying all my stuff from them and recommending them 100% to other hunters. They need to make some polyester base layers with their 37.5. They need to offer the North Branch with a hood. Also, I think sizing is a little strange at times. The llano is a little tight on me but the same size in the Chama I'm just swimming in. That's not a big deal, I can just go a size smaller just too much of a drastic difference.

All of that said, I own about $500 worth of FL and I love every piece.

LJ Buck

WKR
The Kanabs are more durable then people give them credit for. Also they are so silent and regulate hot and cold amazingly. So you have to give up some durability. Totally worth it IMO.

I think the Kanab 1's are good pants. I did put a hole in a pair (my fault) but those were replaced by First Lite and the second pair is going strong. A 70/30 blend merino/nylon blend would be pretty awesome.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I love everything about merino, except its lack of durability. Like wearing Kleenex with the lightweight base layers. Kanabs 1s you could look at wrong and they would tear, 2s are better but still lack synthetic durability. I was a dealer for them for several years and sent back a lot of Kanabs. They are quiet and comfy, but FL seriously needs to work on durability aspects.

I've had two sets of the first generation kanabs that have had hunts, camp trips, scouting trips and a trail maintenance season with the forest service and I haven't had a single issue with them over the couple of years I've owned them.

TheCougar

WKR
I don't know why first gen kanabs get a bad rap. Mine are going on 5 years and they have one hole in them, from a barbed wire fence, which was my fault. I am looking to get a new pair of kanabs or obsidian, because sooner or later they will have catastrophic failure. I'm in Arizona, and everything here tries to rip your pants!

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm not calling anyone a liar but I feel like the guys that don't have issues are just using them in different ways. If I can't make a 50 yards stalk in a $160 dollar pant that was made for hunting without serious wear then there's a problem.

Holy cow Ben, good thing you didn't say that about KUIU this would have turned into a bash fest and been locked by now.

To add some meaningful content I have never been a fan of the Kanab. Sent mine back.

TheCougar

WKR
I'm not calling anyone a liar but I feel like the guys that don't have issues are just using them in different ways. If I can't make a 50 yards stalk in a $160 dollar pant that was made for hunting without serious wear then there's a problem.

Maybe you just got a bad pair? I'm in Az, and all my hunting is done hiking and spot and stalk, crawling around rocks and cactus and cat claw. I don't baby my gear, and I am frankly surprised that they haven't torn with everything that I have put them through. Like I said, this is just my one experience and you had your one experience. There are a lot of guys on rokslide who use kanabs and if they were really that delicate, I don't think they would be so widely used.

TheCougar

WKR
if anyone gets their hands on a pair of obsidians, I would love to find if the sizing has changed. I would love a little more room in the thigh and a boot cut on the bottom. Plus a report on if the material is a blend or if it is like the 2.0 with synthetic panels on a merino pant.

jherald

WKR
Waiting for FL to make lightweight puffy pant with the style of the Uncompahgre puffy jacket. Guaranteed sell.

TheCougar

WKR
Not to hijack the thread, but this is my kanab 1.0 pants. This picture was 7 days ago and was followed the next day by a javelina on top of a mountain after a couple miles of hiking. The plants and terrain I am working it certainly isn't puppy dog ears and rainbows! Kanabs aren't perfect (they hold every burr and sticker they touch and are prone to get snagged on thorns, needles, etc), but they are great pants.

View attachment 45326

I'll be honest, I keep waiting for the day the kanabs I have (first gen) finally give up.

I like the Kanab 2.0 way better. I won't wear the corregates, they feel like skinny jeans on me.