Newbie needing clothing help

Squirrels

WKR
Going on first backcountry elk hunt in Colorado in September. Super excited and already started prepping. So my main question here is concerning clothing. I have a merino base layer bottom and a pair kanabs for my lower half and that is all I am taking. For my upper half I have a FL aerowool for a merino base, Sitka fanatic hoody for mid layer. I also have a Sitka Kelvin Light jacket for insulation. My question falls into the outer, softshell, rain jacket area. I'd love to get one jacket to serve as outer layer and rain jacket combo but I am learning that the rain gear will not give me the breathability and durability I may need. Things I have looked at are Sitka mountain jacket combo'd with the cloudburst or dewpoint ( I can get deep discount on Sitka). I've also though about kuiu guide dcs. As will as FL north branch combo'd with one of the previously mentioned Sitka rain jackets or the kuiu chugach nx.

Any advice/experience or other good combo options would be appreciated. Even though about a light weight windstopper vest and a rain jacket. I've tried doing a lot of research looking at past threads but I just can't pinpoint exactly what I am looking for.

I went on my first elk hunt in Idaho last year. I took a Llano, Chama, Puffy vest and a rain jacket for my top layers. There were times i had ALL of them on, but that was 20 something degree mornings, or sitting glassing in the wind. We actually got snowed on our second day there and i got my 2 merinos a little damp. I threw on the rain jacket and after an hour or so of walking around my merino was dry. It was a system that worked very well for me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In Oct when actively moving I typically only have a base and potentially mid layer on 90% of the time. When glassing and not raining I might need to toss my insulation layer on. Rain gear comes out for a wind or raid break when needed.

In sept temps unless you need a hard wearing layer I can't see much usage in a softshell. I'd think a rain layer is all you are lacking right now.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Of course your clothing choice is going to very some depending on conditions but this is what I usually take.

Synthetic or merino T-shirt.
Long sleeve, thin merino.
Lightweight fleece or a heavier merino.
Puffy jacket.
Rain coat.

Sometimes I'll add more if it's going to be really cold but that list is pretty much always in my pack.

Rucker61

WKR
If this September is anything like the last two here in CO, you'll be down to your base layer by late morning. With your baselayer, hoody and puffy, all you'd need in addition is a waterproof layer, which will spent nearly all of its time in your pack.

Jimbob

WKR
I like to have:
ts base layer
ls base layer
puffy insulation
light dwr soft-shell
Rain shell

The puffy and shell are in the pack when needed. If it is warmer then just the t-shirt and soft-shell for hiking. I like to have a soft-shell that was some weather protection so it doesn't get wet with dew or light drizzle when i start out in the morning.

Option 1: If you are comfortable hiking/hunting in the fanatic hoody then just add a rain shell.

Option 2: If the hoody cannot be used as an outer layer then do not use it as it adds a bunch of weight for just a mid layer. Get a lightweight soft-shell, a proper mid layer and a rain shell.

Justin's list is almost the same as mine but he prefers a fleece or heavier merino where I like a soft-shell. I used a KUIU chinook for my soft-shell this year and really liked it. 18 ozs, it can handle light wind and light rain, busting through dew soaked brush and hiking in warmish conditions.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with Justin, I pretty much skip a soft shell in most situations. Especially the earlier seasons and backpacking. Most higher end rain gear has pit zips and pockets that are vented... so if it's rainy and you're on the move you can vent out.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Awesome replies fellas, from what I see so far I am leaning towards a quality rain jacket with pit zips to prevent overheating and condensation in the event I use it as a wind barrier. Anyone tell me the difference in the cloudburst and dewpoint from Sitka. material wise? I know the dewpoint is lighter and doesn't have some of the features of the cloudburst like hide-away hood and dedicated pockets.

Rucker61

WKR
My September archery clothing:

Bottom: Sitka Mountain pants, merino base layer (rarely used)
Top: Sitka Core Lightweight crew, Sitka Core Midweight Zip-T, Sitka Jetstream Lite vest, Sierra Design dri-down puffy, OR Helium II shell.

Anyone tell me the difference in the cloudburst and dewpoint from Sitka. material wise?

If you live near a Cabela's they will most likely have them in stock. Or any of the shows going on now. You can get your hands on them and see how they feel/fit. The Cloudburst is more durable than the Dewpoint.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
If you live near a Cabela's they will most likely have them in stock. Or any of the shows going on now. You can get your hands on them and see how they feel/fit. The Cloudburst is more durable than the Dewpoint.

Unfortunately I don't live near a store that carries them. How do the two compare from a noise factor? If the Cloudburst is more durable and has the same noise level is the dewpoint the only disadvantage it would have against the dewpoint would be weight correct? Not to mention the Cloudburst is cheaper and has some additional features. Sorry, just trying to get as much information on this stuff as I can since I can't get hands on it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rain shell and you're good to go up top. I would get gaiters and consider rain pants.

Take some mental notes on the trip.

When considering a rain shell ask yourself if you ever plan to use it in real wet environments. If so don't settle on something thats only good enough for Colorado.

GKPrice

Banned
I bought a Helly Hanson polyester rain jacket w/ hood for like $80 on Amazon and it's awesome - You don't need camo in the rain and "quiet" is largely overrated too - (just in case you don't want to spend money you don't really need to)

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
I bought a Helly Hanson polyester rain jacket w/ hood for like $80 on Amazon and it's awesome - You don't need camo in the rain and "quiet" is largely overrated too - (just in case you don't want to spend money you don't really need to)

I'm leaning towards something like you did. Other things to buy where quality makes a larger difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk