Cirrus Ultralight Jacket Review, by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

We can always count on Rokslide mod Brock Akers to test gear in true backcountry style (sometimes he goes so far in he comes out the other side.)

He wore the new First Lite Cirrus Ultralight Jacket from SE Alaska to wilderness Idaho in 2016 and is here with his final report.

If you like puffys but not ounces, this might be your jacket.

Cirrus Ultralight Jacket Review

Last edited:

DWinVA

WKR
Very good review. Thanks.

I took advantage of the latest FL sale and my ASAT Cirrus will be here this week.

God Bless.

jherald

WKR
I've heard to order up one size if you want a regular fit. Good info in the article, will get a large Cirrus instead of a medium.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard to order up one size if you want a regular fit. Good info in the article, will get a large Cirrus instead of a medium.
This is probably a good idea. The large cirrus fits me as well as a Medium uncompaghre

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wonder if the sizes running small is a way for manufacturers to advertise lighter weights on their clothing. It seams to be a trend that when companies try to push the weight down they use more athletic cuts and really push the limits on how small a size can be and still be called a large or whatever. Then people have to size up anyway.

DWinVA

WKR
I ordered a large Cirrus. I also have a large Uncomprahgre so I'll post the difference when I get the Cirrus. The Uncompahgre is a little big on me so I'm hoping the Cirrus is perfect. For reference I'm 6'1" and around 210 during our whitetail season (I'm lighter when training for elk). For whatever reason I wear XL FL base layers and large outerwear pants & jackets. Thanks.

God Bless.

Last edited:

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I pretty much wear a large in everything and my large Cirrus fits perfect. I wear a medium Uncompaghre though. Its addressed in the article that it only has 2 hand pockets to keep it light weight, but I will say that I find it slightly annoying that there isn't a chest pocket either inside or outside. Otherwise I love it.

DWinVA

WKR
Got home and UPS had delivered the Cirris. It definitely fits me tighter than my large Uncompahgre. It still fits me well but more of an athletic fit on me than the loose large Uncompahgre. The Cirrus easily fits under my large Uncompahgre and could be used that way for more warmth. One thing really noticeable to me was it is louder than my Uncompahgre, maybe just because it's new. I weighed both on my scales and the Cirris is 14.5 oz and the Uncompahgre is 18.4 oz. Below is a picture of both of them stuffed in their pockets (Fusion=Uncompahgre). My thought was for this Cirris to be a lightweight (no hood) option for our VA bow season but I feel it will be much too loud. I think I'll send it back and wait and try the new Sawtooth even though it has a hood. I'll keep rocking my Uncompahre for a pure insulating puffy. I actually have a black one I wear to church, work, etc....really, really like them.

God Bless.

IMG_3346.jpg

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got home and UPS had delivered the Cirris. It definitely fits me tighter than my large Uncompahgre. It still fits me well but more of an athletic fit on me than the loose large Uncompahgre. The Cirrus easily fits under my large Uncompahgre and could be used that way for more warmth. One thing really noticeable to me was it is louder than my Uncompahgre, maybe just because it's new. I weighed both on my scales and the Cirris is 14.5 oz and the Uncompahgre is 18.4 oz. Below is a picture of both of them stuffed in their pockets (Fusion=Uncompahgre). My thought was for this Cirris to be a lightweight (no hood) option for our VA bow season but I feel it will be much too loud. I think I'll send it back and wait and try the new Sawtooth even though it has a hood. I'll keep rocking my Uncompahre for a pure insulating puffy. I actually have a black one I wear to church, work, etc....really, really like them.

God Bless.

View attachment 46253
Good feedback! Thanks for the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wear a medium uncompahgre and got a large cirrus and the fit is right on. But I do agree about the noise, its not any louder than the uncompahgre in normal temps though

Last edited:

God Bless.

View attachment 46253

In your opinion, do you think the slightly smaller size and weight it provides is enough to edge out the Unpronouncable in terms of warmth and versatility if you were mostly hauling it around in your pack other than morning and evening glassing sessions?

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in one of these, anymore feedback from people that have both? Mostly for glassing sessions and the bag at night ,