Cold, cold weather layering and clothing thoughts and recommendations.

I am sure this has been discussed a bunch. I have read some threads but still wondering what else might be gleaned from a post so here it goes.

On the top side I have a Chama I like quite a bit. For an outer layer I have a heavy wool Mackinaw or expedition parka. So good there.

It is a bit of a tough sell to spend $60 or more for a base layer like a LLano. Need to be warm as it is well below zero and I need to be outside for some extended periods. Light to moderate activity with extended times of little activity. Also wondering if I should consider a Halstead or similar over the Chama?

On the bottom side I have some Indera Poly pro but do not think it will provide much warmth. I do have the Kuiu 210 zip off's.
Wondering if Aero FL might be better. I also have some Sitka Timberline pants. But I am not hunting in these cond. so wonder if there is a better option. Also lacking a lower outer layer for warmth, wind and wet snow type conditions.

Thoughts? Thank you guys.

BCSteel

FNG
This is my layering that's so far been good down to -30 C plus whatever windchill for me. Top is merino next to skin, then fleece, then a thicker wool, then fleece, then another lama wool outer. Remove outer layers as necessary to match the workload. Bottom is cotton long underwear, then mid weight merino pants. If I stop for a bit or it's real windy I'll put on a breathable windproof outer pants over top. I find it's more my hands and especially feet that will get painfully cold. I use uninsulated Muck type boots, rubber bottom and neoprene top with thick wool socks with pretty generous spacing inside and fleece gloves or fleece lined leather mitts for my hands.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You didn't mention how active you would be in this cold. For me, it doesn't matter how cold it is......I'm going to be sweating, because I'm going to be moving. So I always want as light a layer as possible next to my skin to wick the sweat away. Then I prefer a fleece layer as they breathe really well. Then I either have a heavy down layer or heavy synthetic parka type in my pack for when I stop and need to layer up. When it's super cold I wear my heavy wool pants over my base layer.

Akicita

WKR
I am sure this has been discussed a bunch. I have read some threads but still wondering what else might be gleaned from a post so here it goes.

On the top side I have a Chama I like quite a bit. For an outer layer I have a heavy wool Mackinaw or expedition parka. So good there.

It is a bit of a tough sell to spend $60 or more for a base layer like a LLano. Need to be warm as it is well below zero and I need to be outside for some extended periods. Light to moderate activity with extended times of little activity. Also wondering if I should consider a Halstead or similar over the Chama?

On the bottom side I have some Indera Poly pro but do not think it will provide much warmth. I do have the Kuiu 210 zip off's.
Wondering if Aero FL might be better. I also have some Sitka Timberline pants. But I am not hunting in these cond. so wonder if there is a better option. Also lacking a lower outer layer for warmth, wind and wet snow type conditions.

Thoughts? Thank you guys.

For what you have I think you are close to being set. On the upper I would use your Chama as a base, maybe a mid-weight fleece and then your Expedition Parka. For the lowers I would use your 210 zip offs under your Timberline's and add a full zip hard shell to mitigate the wet snow.

For 0 to -20 conditions with light to moderate activity I am layering with:

Lower body- 100 weight Smartwool Merino boxers > 200 weight Smartwool 3/4 length Merino long underwear > Marmot Scree soft shell pants > Arcteryx Beta AR hardshell pants > Darn Tough over the calf Mountaineering Socks > Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX or Scarpa Phantom boots

Upper body - Under Armour Heat Gear T > Smartwool 200 Weight 1/2 Zip > Arcteryx Delta AR Zip Fleece > Marmot Calene Puffy > Arcteryx Rush Jacket or Arcteryx LEAF Beta SL Jacket > Hestra Falt Guide Glove or Astis Finch Mittens > Merino Wool Buff and Arcteryx Toque hat.

I don and doff upper layers as activity increases and decreases.