Arcteryx is it worth it?

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
okay so im a little over the whole technical hunting clothing, i love the jetstream from sitka as a jacket but as far as midlayers i feel im wasting money, i have looked at several piece of Arcteryx gear at rei an most of the layers are super thing. i want a midlayer thats somewhat thick, i have poked around an have read great things about the stuff on here, if you have some of the midlayers let me know what ones and why!

The atom lt hoody is legendary in mountaineering circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arcteryx is the pinnacle of top of the line technical gear and have been since they started. I have a lot of their older gear that I used for climbing and it's flat out amazed me at both quality and durability. Of course, there's a price you pay for perfection, but it's worth it for Arcteryx gear. I have some of their older fleece midlayers that I still use after 15 years. My hunt partner has a lot of their newer stuff, including the Atom LT Hoody and loves it. If the hunting world would design their jackets to have the same hoods as Arcteryx, things would be great.

OP
swarovskicoues

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
awesome thanks for the input i tried one of the atom lt hoodys on at rei and its super lightweight for a midlayer of warmth, what fleece do you have? thanks snowcamoman

bhylton

WKR
if looking for a down midlayer i would really look at montbell. great product at excellent price

FreeRange

WKR
The Patagonia r1 hoody is the gold standard as far as mountaineering fleece goes. I personally think it is too warm for hunting season so I use the capilene 4 hoody. In non hooded there are even more, cheaper options for a similar grid fleece. Arcteryx has the fortrez which is faced and is more wind resistant but less breathable. I have no experience with that one or any other arcteryx fleece but what other gear I have of theirs is bombproof. Mountaineering gear is easier to pick up used than hunting gear, I like the website lwhiker.com to search all the backpacking and climbing forums for sale sections to find that type of gear.

OP
swarovskicoues

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
ill look into the R1 im not a big hoody guy if i have a softshell hoody on already, like to minimize bulk! thanks for your input

Akicita

WKR
My Arcteryx Delta AR Zip is my mid-layer of choice from sub-zero to mid fifties. I don't go anywhere without it. $135 MSRP but you can find sales on them around $100. There is an LT model that is lighter. . . I only have the standard mid weight Delta AR Zip.

Last edited:

Akicita

WKR
This is my standard really cold layering. Not bulky at all.

Under Armour Heat Gear T
Smartwool 200 Mock Turtle
Arcteryx Delta AR Zip
Arcteryx Rush or Beta LT Shells

Last edited:
Everyone should own a atom lt hoody and/or jacket. The most useful piece of clothing I have ever owned. Been using one for over 7 years.

OP
swarovskicoues

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for reply seems like you cant go wrong with there gear! awesome muley what pack is that!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the R1 is a pretty darn good midlayer- decent amount of warmth with good moisture moving ability; the hood adds so little extra weight I think it's a no brainer, but I like hoods :)

Patagonia, like Arcteryx, makes a lot of nice pieces- if you shop around (and often combined with waiting) you can find their stuff significantly cheaper than msrp- also ebay for lightly used stuff

Akicita

WKR
Everyone should own a atom lt hoody and/or jacket. The most useful piece of clothing I have ever owned. Been using one for over 7 years.
I agree !! My Atom LT's are part of my ice climbing and expedition kits. A definite morale booster when things get ugly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
I like the Arcteryx Atom LT Hoodie. I've been looking for one on sale for a while now. They are so light it feels like you don't have anything substantial on but they seem pretty warm for their weight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of the mountaineering guys use these for high exertion activies like rock climbing etc instead of just sitting around?

I'm not sure if it would be the best piece for a mid layer while sitting and glassing. I think I would get way too hot trying to hike in this jacket regardless of temps.

I'm just wondering how it would fit into my system?

Parko

FNG
I have an older Patagonia R1 pullover and love it, but for the money take a look at the USMC Polartec lightweight pullover. I have several of these and like them just as well. They are about 1/4 the cost. I have several items from Arcteryx, jackets, pants, and a hat including an Atom Lt. They are spendy, but in my opinion worth the money.

topher89

WKR
If its fleece, I think Patagonia's R1 is better choice but with that said, Arcteryx is awesome gear.

Atom LT Hoody is the bomb. Wish the color choices were better but such a great jacket. I do not think that they make any bad gear.