Looking for Pants Recommendation OTHER THAN Sitka

MtGoat

FNG
I thought the Sitka Gear Cold Front pants were just what I was looking for.
I went to Cabelas today and tried on a pair and was VERY disappointed.
I think I scared every elk away for 100 miles.
The pants are so noisy that they just won't work.
I liked the perceived durability and options but the noise of the fabric is a deal breaker.

I am looking for a pair of fleece or fleece type pants with a Gore-Tex, Dry plus, eVent or ??? layer instead of a DWR finish.

I used to wear a pair of Browning Hells Canyon pants or something like that and really liked them. I have worn them out and was looking for a replacement. I am using the Core4element pants but the DWR coating gets wetted out and will start leaking like a sieve.

What brands of pants can I look at that have a quiet outer fabric, a waterproof layer and a quiet lining?

I hunt the steep and deep back country in early November where it can dump three feet of snow overnight and it runs from hot and dry to rain to snow so looking for a pair of pants that will perform well.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Rivers west, or maybe the new Sitka thunderhead stuff, Sitka downpour as well. Those all have brushed fleece or brushed outers.

These are going to be heavy and your obviously not going to want to wear them if it's not raining, as they breath like shit. The thunderhead is not out yet but using my experience with the downpour of never use them.

Your not really going to find many options with soft brushed face fabric with top of the line membranes, as it goes against what the rain shell is intended to do.

I use kuiu chugach, they are more quite then any gore shell but they are still rain gear. Polartec Neo shell is pretty quite as well but not as waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
M

MtGoat

FNG
I have a set of Kuiu Chugach rain gear but would rather just wear a pair of pants.
Typically hot and cold isn't an issue on my legs in the late fall just upper torso.
For the lower extremities I typically don't layer but would rather go waterproof from the get go.
I don't want to pack in too much stuff as I have to pack it out again.

I was very surprised and disappointed in the Sitka Gear Cold Front pants. They were exactly what I wanted but noisier than a pair of mil surplus rain pants.

I will check out the Thunderhead line when it comes out.

Thank you
Pat

twall13

WKR
Robby Denning just finished up a review of Kryptek's waterproof fleece line. I've never seen the stuff in person but the review was favorable. Check it out on the gear review section.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
i thought the sitka gear cold front pants were just what i was looking for.
I went to cabelas today and tried on a pair and was very disappointed.
I think i scared every elk away for 100 miles.
The pants are so noisy that they just won't work.
I liked the perceived durability and options but the noise of the fabric is a deal breaker.

I am looking for a pair of fleece or fleece type pants with a gore-tex, dry plus, event or ??? Layer instead of a dwr finish.

I used to wear a pair of browning hells canyon pants or something like that and really liked them. I have worn them out and was looking for a replacement. I am using the core4element pants but the dwr coating gets wetted out and will start leaking like a sieve.

What brands of pants can i look at that have a quiet outer fabric, a waterproof layer and a quiet lining?

I hunt the steep and deep back country in early november where it can dump three feet of snow overnight and it runs from hot and dry to rain to snow so looking for a pair of pants that will perform well.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

wool

sneaky

"DADDY"
Once you wear those coldfront pants, and wash them, they'll quieten down a bit. You are worried about the noise from them, and you hunt in 3 feet of snow. Do you think the animals won't hear you post holing and breathing hard anyways? It's a trade off. True waterproof outers are gonna be louder. Fleece, or brushed face fabrics, are gonna be quieter, but will wet out much quicker, take longer to dry, and get heavy. Noise in rain gear is a given.

excaliber

WKR
I heard the new Sitka thunder Head stuff is going to be pretty nice. You might also want to look at the Kryptek Vellus line. It's Fleece that is super quiet and they state it is waterproof. It is heavier but this might be right up your alley.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
One of the biggest priorities for Kuiu is to make their clothing quiet. I can attest that the attack, guide, and tiburon pants are all quiet. My hunting buddy has the FL guide pants, and they sound like snowpants to me. So loud. I'd give the attack or guide pants a try. Toss some yukon gaiters on and they'll likely foot the bill. They shed moisture off and dry quickly if they do get wet. The hip zips allow you to dress a little warmer so you can stay warm while glassing and cool while moving. They're quiet and durable...

Give Kuiu a try...

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck with the Cabelas MTO50 rain pants. They have a brushed outer that is quiet and have been very durable.

Ive had a pair of the Kuiu Yukon pants for a few years. After a couple hikes through the brush they soften up and are fairly quiet. Not sure if they are bow hunter quiet but may be worth a look. They are much quieter than the Kuiu Chugach pant I own.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to take a look at Pnuma - they have an all-season option that looks pretty fair.

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
Pat

Take a look at the Hardscrabble pant Hardscrabble Pant - Skre Gear. I created this pant as an all season pant designed with a soft yet durable face fabric. It's ultra quiet, and very durable. You won't be disappointed!

lif

WKR
I would agree with the hardscrabble pants. Got a pair recently and they are the most comfortable pant I've ever tried and feel substantially strong and durable considering the flexibility they give you. Got my vote!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tested a lot of rain gear over the last few years. Understand your frustration with the Coldfront for stalking. With that said, you should go check out the new Thunderhead rain gear. I've been using it this spring for dog training in nasty swampy country and hiking in and out to the bear stand. What I like about it when sitting in the stand his how quiet it is for rain gear. I originally thought the brushed face would hold water and be slow to dry, but so far I am really liking this stuff. For my use, its to heavy for backpack hunting, but for how I have been using it its been ideal.