Boxer briefs

I have several pairs of "performance" material boxers (the Mothwing Peak Endurance ones - I think they are polyester?), and I like them quite a bit but I'm curious if there is an advantage to merino wool ones. I know the merino wool won't smell if you have to wear them for an extended period of time, but do they dry, regulate temp, etc any better than polyester ones?

warrior80

WKR
I have several pairs of "performance" material boxers (the Mothwing Peak Endurance ones - I think they are polyester?), and I like them quite a bit but I'm curious if there is an advantage to merino wool ones. I know the merino wool won't smell if you have to wear them for an extended period of time, but do they dry, regulate temp, etc any better than polyester ones?
The smell is going to be the biggest advantage. I also prefer the comfort of the merino. I'm not sure if you will tell much of a difference in temperature regulation between boxers, but I would much rather wear my merino all day compared to the synthetic boxers I have. I use the synthetic for working out, playing sports, etc., where I'll be wearing them for a couple hours or so. As for drying, typically synthetic will dry faster, but I have never had any issues with any of my merino not drying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
Duluth buck naked performance boxer brief. They don't ride up your leg but stay in place nicely. Most "unnoticeable" brief I have come across.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka merino has been great quality and performance. The fit is odd for my build, legs are just right the rest is baggy and unsupportive. Waist band is true to size. Too warm for the heat, then I run the full synthetic champion brand from target.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm curious if there is an advantage to merino wool ones. I know the merino wool won't smell if you have to wear them for an extended period of time, but do they dry, regulate temp, etc any better than polyester ones?

I didn't even know what "monkeybutt" was until I tried some synthetic boxers for hunting. Merino all the way. Cotton wasn't even as bad as the poly ones even being soaked with sweat all day. Have no idea what the difference is, but merino just works.

i wish they made merino boxers. briefs get too clammy for me prefer the breathability of boxers. using exofficios for now but id switch in a hearteat if someone made them

Forks

FNG
I have used FL for the last couple years and they remind me of the cheap, 1 layer toilet paper my wife brings home sometimes. They are the only FL product you couldn't give me. Black Ovis have been treating my lower region real well.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I have used FL for the last couple years and they remind me of the cheap, 1 layer toilet paper my wife brings home sometimes. They are the only FL product you couldn't give me. Black Ovis have been treating my lower region real well.

Did Black Ovis just come out with those? DO they fit true to your normal size?

ExOfficio, they last for ever, the waist band will go before the fabric and they don't pick up the funk so can be worn more than one day back country. Just picked up some of the 3" boxer briefs, I might like them even more, and they would be perfect for warmer temps since they are made of a lighter material.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
True to size and paid $29 each and had them in 2 days. Not sure if that was regular pricing.

Very interesting. I was debating on the FL aero wool boxers and the Sitka core merino boxers. Looks like I might have another pair to debate over. The price of the Black Ovis is really appealing.

ericF

WKR
The Black Ovis 50/50 Merino/Poly boxers I ordered last week have now been worn twice. This is just around town, so I can't fully comment on how they would do in the field. I'm a size 33 and ordered a Medium. When they first got here I wore them without washing. The first thing I noticed was how tight they were on the legs. I'm by no means a big person, 6ft and 175, but they were very tight around the thighs. They were a little looser in the waist portion. I feel like the First Lite Red Deserts have more crotch room and these have a little less. They were definitely itchy the first day too.

I washed them and wore them again. They were still tight in the legs, but not as bad as the first day. They do ride up on occasion, but not alot. The itch seems to have vanished with the washing. They do feel like they ride just a little bit low, but you don't really notice after having them on for a while. For $24 with free shipping, I think they are worth trying if you are looking for a 50/50 mix at a good price, but I'm not sure they they are exceptional.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
The Black Ovis 50/50 Merino/Poly boxers I ordered last week have now been worn twice. This is just around town, so I can't fully comment on how they would do in the field. I'm a size 33 and ordered a Medium. When they first got here I wore them without washing. The first thing I noticed was how tight they were on the legs. I'm by no means a big person, 6ft and 175, but they were very tight around the thighs. They were a little looser in the waist portion. I feel like the First Lite Red Deserts have more crotch room and these have a little less. They were definitely itchy the first day too.

I washed them and wore them again. They were still tight in the legs, but not as bad as the first day. They do ride up on occasion, but not alot. The itch seems to have vanished with the washing. They do feel like they ride just a little bit low, but you don't really notice after having them on for a while. For $24 with free shipping, I think they are worth trying if you are looking for a 50/50 mix at a good price, but I'm not sure they they are exceptional.

Thanks for the honest review.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm hoping someone on the First Lite pro team gets around to a review of the new Benmore boxer briefs. Aerowool with a 4" inseam has me intrigued. I like my Red Desert boxers, but the 10" inseam is a little longer than I'd like and it prevents me from wearing them with shorts.