Boxer briefs

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
The Black Ovis 50/50 Merino/Poly boxers I ordered last week have now been worn twice. This is just around town, so I can't fully comment on how they would do in the field. I'm a size 33 and ordered a Medium. When they first got here I wore them without washing. The first thing I noticed was how tight they were on the legs. I'm by no means a big person, 6ft and 175, but they were very tight around the thighs. They were a little looser in the waist portion. I feel like the First Lite Red Deserts have more crotch room and these have a little less. They were definitely itchy the first day too.

I washed them and wore them again. They were still tight in the legs, but not as bad as the first day. They do ride up on occasion, but not alot. The itch seems to have vanished with the washing. They do feel like they ride just a little bit low, but you don't really notice after having them on for a while. For $24 with free shipping, I think they are worth trying if you are looking for a 50/50 mix at a good price, but I'm not sure they they are exceptional.

So if I am 5'9" 155 with a 30-31 waste, would you suggest a small or a medium?

ericF

WKR
It all depends on your legs. If you have thick legs, you will probably want to size up. If you don't have thick legs then you are probably fine with smalls. I only have two days on mine, so I really don't know if they will stretch any more in the legs being a wool/poly blend. With my Red Desert and ExOfficio boxers, there is a little more room in the legs so when they do ride up, they also ride back down easier. With the Black Ovis verison when they ride up, they tend to stay up.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on your legs. If you have thick legs, you will probably want to size up. If you don't have thick legs then you are probably fine with smalls. I only have two days on mine, so I really don't know if they will stretch any more in the legs being a wool/poly blend. With my Red Desert and ExOfficio boxers, there is a little more room in the legs so when they do ride up, they also ride back down easier. With the Black Ovis verison when they ride up, they tend to stay up.

Just ordered 2 pair. For that price, I guess it won't hurt to try them out.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
ExOfficio, they last for ever, the waist band will go before the fabric and they don't pick up the funk so can be worn more than one day back country. Just picked up some of the 3" boxer briefs, I might like them even more, and they would be perfect for warmer temps since they are made of a lighter material.

word....

OP
C

ChadSchu

FNG
Wanted to report back on this thread. I have done some buying and research on Boxer briefs now.
I have tried the following:

Addidas
Pair of theives
Cabela's 4 most
Weatherproof
Terramar
Russell
Champion
Jockey
Hanes
Starter
My top three picks in order are:
Weatherproof Cool last
Pair of thieves
Terramar

Last edited:
I really like UnderArmor Long boxerjock. It fits like bike shorts, down past mid thigh.
I don'r really get jock funk, and have concerns about longevity and stretching merino.
I also have thick thighs and any rubbing in my inner thigh can mean a nasty friction rash.
I have 3 pair, they fit pretty true to slightly small and have lasted for 3 years.

I just got a pair of the Black Ovis ones and while they look and feel awesome, I hate the fit. I wear medium boxer briefs and medium Minus 33 bottoms, so I figured medium ones would fit just fine. As ericF mentioned, they are very tight in the legs, and they feel like they ride really low in the back. Every time I step forward or raise a leg, it feels like the boxers are being pulled down.

Not sure if going up a size would solve this problem, or if they are just cut different than what I'm used to, but until I need to order something else, I probably won't order another pair because I don't want to pay for shipping just for a pair of boxers.

RCL

WKR
Another Ex Officio fan.
Fit great and offer different lengths.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair of the Black Ovis ones and while they look and feel awesome, I hate the fit. I wear medium boxer briefs and medium Minus 33 bottoms, so I figured medium ones would fit just fine. As ericF mentioned, they are very tight in the legs, and they feel like they ride really low in the back. Every time I step forward or raise a leg, it feels like the boxers are being pulled down.

Not sure if going up a size would solve this problem, or if they are just cut different than what I'm used to, but until I need to order something else, I probably won't order another pair because I don't want to pay for shipping just for a pair of boxers.

I usually wear a size Medium and went down to a size small for the Black Ovis boxers. I think they fit great. But I am a slender guy as well. 5'9", 155lbs.

GKPrice

Banned
Wanted to report back on this thread. I have done some buying and research on Boxer briefs now.
I have tried the following:

Addidas
Pair of theives
Cabela's 4 most
Weatherproof
Terramar
Russell
Champion
Jockey
Hanes
Starter
My top three picks in order are:
Weatherproof Cool last
Pair of thieves
Terramar

You've missed all the "good" ones ?

OP
C

ChadSchu

FNG
Just posting the ones I have experience with. I would love to try some other brands like the first lite and the ex efficio ones.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
UA boxerjock for everyday wear. I have 10ish pairs and love them, no sweat or friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
I must have some sort of extreme crotch sweat because I can't stand to wear the UA boxer briefs for an extended period of time. I love them for working out, but once they get sweaty they just seem to keep everything clammy. That and the funk have me looking to merino for my netherbits. So far I've got a pair of Smartwools and a pair of First Lite. I love the First Lite's under pants, but I like to wear shorts in the summer and the damn things go to my knees.

I like my Ex Officio boxers (not briefs), but they seem to with their way into my crack with unsettling regularity. I also love my one pair of UA boxers, but they don't make them any more.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

The longest lasting pair I've tried are the Smartwool Seamless boxers. I made a pair last a year before they started getting too thin. And very comfortable. Wore them to the gym five days a week. I ordered a new pair a few weeks ago. Also like the First Lite Dobsons. They are thinner though. The first pair lasted three months. Which is OK because FL just swapped me out with a new pair. I think it's my big thighs it causes the fabric to rub together a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
C

ChadSchu

FNG
Just scored two pair of the ex officio boxer briefs on sale at Cabela's for 10.99 a pair. Bought two to try them out. :)