2017 First Lite Sawtooth Jacket Review

Benjblt

WKR
I'm a bit disappointed that this jacket was introduced. I'm not really seeing a place for it's use in the First Lite system I use. My desire and hope is they would have brought out a good soft shell with pit zips, chest pocket, hood, etc. similar to the Guide Jacket by Kuiu. That's a niche in First Lite's line up that needs to be filled.
I think they just need to put a hood on the North Branch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I bought one and used it for a December KS rifle whitetail hunt. I hunt pretty open areas and have walks up to a mile into some places. I used it over top of a Wiliken Aerowool quarter zip and with or without a Sitka Jetstream Lite vest over the top (depending on wind) quite a bit while moving. I wasn't gaining huge amounts of elevation or going terribly far, but it was a good layer to keep me warm but not sweating while doing this. I don't own the Chama pieces so I can't compare it to them. I love the hood and found it very useful. Once I was where I planned to glass from for the morning or evening I would put a puffy jacket and the FL merino baklava on too for warmth.

I could see it being a good fit for someone who doesn't want to layer 3 merino base layers on for cooler weather. This over the Aerowool long or short sleeve base layers is a pretty good option that does a similar thing I think. It is very quiet. I see myself using it for predator hunting a lot too, walk in this and throw a puffy over it for colder stands.

The Sawtooth under a non-hooded softshell of choice isn't a bad option either. I really like how the hood stays put and offers warmth without cutting visibility. I think maybe something like the Sitka Mountain jacket which I don't yet own with this might be a good pairing for that. Wear the Sawtooth and if the wind kicks put the Mountain Jacket over it. When I stop put my FL Ucompaghre vest or Kuiu Kenai puffy in between them.

I just ordered this Sawtooth jacket. I don't understand why people are having a hard time finding an application for it? I plan on using it most of the time during fall over my FL Merino zip top and stuffing my Uncompaghre jacket into my pack until it gets cold. Seems like it should work perfect for me.

twall13

WKR
I just ordered this Sawtooth jacket. I don't understand why people are having a hard time finding an application for it? I plan on using it most of the time during fall over my FL Merino zip top and stuffing my Uncompaghre jacket into my pack until it gets cold. Seems like it should work perfect for me.
Your use explains exactly why I've had a hard time finding a place for it in my pack. It won't replace the puffy, so it becomes added weight and won't accomplish anything my current setup can't already do on a backpack hunt. If I have to carry a warmer puffy anyway, why pack the weight of the Sawtooth?

That said, the more I've seen of it the more I'm coming around to the idea of having one for active hunts where I'm not backpacking in. It seems like a great piece for active hunting. It becomes dead weight for backpacking when weight is at a premium and I'll need a warmer puffy whether I take the Sawtooth or not. I can also see it coming in handy on colder, late season hunts where it could replace a fleece as a warmer mid layer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Your use explains exactly why I've had a hard time finding a place for it in my pack. It won't replace the puffy, so it becomes added weight and won't accomplish anything my current setup can't already do on a backpack hunt. If I have to carry a warmer puffy anyway, why pack the weight of the Sawtooth?

That said, the more I've seen of it the more I'm coming around to the idea of having one for active hunts where I'm not backpacking in. It seems like a great piece for active hunting. It becomes dead weight for backpacking when weight is at a premium and I'll need a warmer puffy whether I take the Sawtooth or not. I can also see it coming in handy on colder, late season hunts where it could replace a fleece as a warmer mid layer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on how you're hunting. If packing in for a week then I might leave it home in favor of the puffy. I do well not packing in to hunt so packing the puffy in my pack for the day works perfect for my hunting needs.

mcseal2

WKR
I bought one and used it for a December KS rifle whitetail hunt. I hunt pretty open areas and have walks up to a mile into some places. I used it over top of a Wiliken Aerowool quarter zip and with or without a Sitka Jetstream Lite vest over the top (depending on wind) quite a bit while moving. I wasn't gaining huge amounts of elevation or going terribly far, but it was a good layer to keep me warm but not sweating while doing this. I don't own the Chama pieces so I can't compare it to them. I love the hood and found it very useful. Once I was where I planned to glass from for the morning or evening I would put a puffy jacket and the FL merino baklava on too for warmth.

I could see it being a good fit for someone who doesn't want to layer 3 merino base layers on for cooler weather. This over the Aerowool long or short sleeve base layers is a pretty good option that does a similar thing I think. It is very quiet. I see myself using it for predator hunting a lot too, walk in this and throw a puffy over it for colder stands.

The Sawtooth under a non-hooded softshell of choice isn't a bad option either. I really like how the hood stays put and offers warmth without cutting visibility. I think maybe something like the Sitka Mountain jacket which I don't yet own with this might be a good pairing for that. Wear the Sawtooth and if the wind kicks put the Mountain Jacket over it. When I stop put my FL Ucompaghre vest or Kuiu Kenai puffy in between them.

I got the Sitka Mountain Jacket Saturday. It is exactly what I wanted for a layer I could throw over the Sawtooth when the wind picks up. Both together aren't much heavier than most softshell jackets alone, my Dalibor II is 32oz. My 3XL Mountain Jacket weighs 14.5oz, the Sawtooth 2XL 22oz. I just wear a FL Aerowool T shirt under them.

I certainly wouldn't argue with the guys backpacking in, especially in earlier seasons, there are lighter ways to get the same warmth. For a lot of my hunting it's still a versatile piece I can build the rest of my layering system around. I might have to try a Chama hoody for warmer, earlier hunts I like this one so much.

Here is a quick look at this new offering by First Lite. If you would like to pre order or inquire about some of our First Lite specials or you have general first lite questions...feel free to pm or email [email protected] or call 336.564.2400

[video=youtube;qppLFa4OcHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qppLFa4OcHw[/video]

What happened to the video review from the OP? Link says video was removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
He probably took it down when they informed him of thier new business model

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk