2017 First Lite Sawtooth Jacket Review

Here is a quick look at this new offering by First Lite. If you would like to pre order or inquire about some of our First Lite specials or you have general first lite questions...feel free to pm or email [email protected] or call 336.564.2400

[video=youtube;qppLFa4OcHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qppLFa4OcHw[/video]

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
best overview of the jacket I've seen yet. I understand the whole hybrid concept now Thanks Eric

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
Its sure interesting. I'm honestly not sure what I think about it. LoL. Can't wait ro see one

twall13

WKR
I'm sure it will sell well but I can't figure out where I would personally use this particular piece in my layering system. Great overview, that definitly helps me get a better idea of what it is.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, looks interesting, but will wait for others to share their reviews from the field this year. I have the llano and halstead fleece and think it might be a little too warm to add to my set up for elk in September. Its probably more of a October and November outerlayer. I always hesitate in trying brand new items before seeing what others have to say. Plus if I wait till next year I can save some money on it during their tag soup sale.

Last edited:
Looks pretty nifty, still questioning the price point for what is sorta a deluxe hooded sweatshirt.

No hate, love FL products and Bean Outdoors.

I'm not seeing an application where that thing makes sense over a fleece, standard puffy, or soft shell. Noise of a puffy, weight of a heavy merino..

I tested one for a 10 day hunt in Kansas this year. It has a place in the line up for treestand hunting, no doubt. Those nights that are warm on the way into the stand but get cold at sunset are an example.

NDGuy

WKR
Not sure I like it so far but I will definitely try it on if my store gets it. I agree with most of you that it will probably not distinguish itself enough to take the place of other jackets. Hope I am proved wrong tho!

stevevan

WKR
I'm a bit disappointed that this jacket was introduced. I'm not really seeing a place for it's use in the First Lite system I use. My desire and hope is they would have brought out a good soft shell with pit zips, chest pocket, hood, etc. similar to the Guide Jacket by Kuiu. That's a niche in First Lite's line up that needs to be filled.

elkyinzer

WKR
A little confused, I flew through some but not watching a 7 minute video about a jacket. Can someone clarify, are the sleeves all merino? If so won't the wind will cut right through them? Personally would rather see the halstead upgraded to a hybrid with pockets, a hood, and some insulation panels for one sweet azz treestand jacket. First Lite, like what they do for conservation, great merino pieces, some of their outerwear designs just leave me shaking my head though.

Gorp2007

WKR
It looks like it's designed for warmth while on the move or to take the chill off on the early seasons. Sometimes you're not moving fast/hard enough to warrant stripping down to just your base layers. In those situations, you'll want some added insulation in your chest and upper arms but still have some breathability in the back and armpits. The merino back would also be nice for moving with a backpack, since my back always gets sweaty and but my chest still gets cold.

I'm not on the design team and I'm probably not going to be adding a Sawtooth to my apparel quiver (I've got other needs to address first on that front), but that's the way I see the jacket being designed and marketed.

...My desire and hope is they would have brought out a good soft shell with pit zips, chest pocket, hood, etc. similar to the Guide Jacket by Kuiu. That's a niche in First Lite's line up that needs to be filled.

I was hoping for a hooded softshell this year also... hopefully for 2018.

As for the Sawtooth... I think it's a cool concept. Maybe I'm stuck in my ways, but I like my llano, chama or halstead and puffy combo.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see it as a chama hoodie for those that chill easy like me. A second layer of pure wool never did much for me, usually go with a fleece.

Some may have seen in a store the hybrid puffy? Usually marketed towards runners. It's a puffy vest with a light softshell sleeves and hood. The sawtooth reminds me of those except body mapped insulation and hunter needs in the design.

I can see wearing it instead of a softshell. It's probably not much lighter but shouldn't feel as stiff and restrictive.

Probably niche specific not a staple wardrobe item. Looking forward to others experience before I buy.

dotman

WKR
Seems like a similar concept to what Kryptek did, I just think not many could find a place for it and that could be a problem for this as well.

Muttly

WKR
Didn't get too far into the video, is the material on the chest/ shoulders water resistant/DWR?
If so, I could see that being kinda handy in SE Alaska, PNW kinda weather on occasion.

OP
bean outdoors
I'm a bit disappointed that this jacket was introduced. I'm not really seeing a place for it's use in the First Lite system I use. My desire and hope is they would have brought out a good soft shell with pit zips, chest pocket, hood, etc. similar to the Guide Jacket by Kuiu. That's a niche in First Lite's line up that needs to be filled.

I think the llano and chama are good to low 60s/high 50s I think that this is a go to piece when those 2 arent enough and you dont want to get out the woodbury/sanctuary yet. Or for the guy that has the sanctuary but doesnt want to buy a woodbury too

OP
bean outdoors
Didn't get too far into the video, is the material on the chest/ shoulders water resistant/DWR?
If so, I could see that being kinda handy in SE Alaska, PNW kinda weather on occasion.

the material on the chest and shoulders has a corrugate guide pant type feel to it. according to the description i received it will block wind which will give it some light rain shedding capability