SKRE Complete Review (+ Giveaway!!!), by Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll tell you they take feedback seriously. A lot of my gripes have been resolved in their latest versions. Very impressive.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive worn the crap out of my mad trapper hoodie things my fav piece in a long time. This was train to hunt reno was high 40's low 50 and wind i had tshirt only under. Camo looks good in that sagey setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a8edfb9af930c46d90a9988e385642b5.jpg

Where do you live? That looks VERY familiar

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive worn the crap out of my mad trapper hoodie things my fav piece in a long time. This was train to hunt reno was high 40's low 50 and wind i had tshirt only under. Camo looks good in that sagey setting

a8edfb9af930c46d90a9988e385642b5.jpg
What's your thoughts on the hood, too big? block your vision?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What's your thoughts on the hood, too big? block your vision?

At first wasnt a fan , i live with it but preferred the slimmer one that the Peleton had. You really only notice its big in the wind

At first wasnt a fan , i live with it but preferred the slimmer one that the Peleton had. You really only notice its big in the wind you can see i have it cinched and still a ton of space

6499a17457159d98ef9011260d72cd59.png

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine doesn't cover much of my face at all. I'm pretty impressed with it's cut actually it's a 2xl
e75ecb315030f0fe51665581321f11db.jpg
a61124b651357b2b032ec14fb034dab1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll tell you they take feedback seriously. A lot of my gripes have been resolved in their latest versions. Very impressive.
I emailed them to recommend a mnt stealth mesh back cap to compliment the alpine/unita line. Mike response was that he would bring it up for discussion but that they had a few preproduction prototype hats made with a lighter fabric type and he would send me one. That's just above and beyond​ great customer service. Hat has been working out well for early season scouting.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't get the use I planned last weekend however a couple things jumped out at me with the hardscrabble pants. Material is softening up well with minimal use. Waistband flexes yet stays in place. No discomfort with a 30 pound pack, I was skeptical about that as this is my first pants with a grippy band around the waist. Wind resistance was very good after spending six hours on a boat with unsettled weather. Hip vents are money. Lots of sitting and bending in awkward positions while fishing. Never had any uncomfort or binding. Should be great for long glassing periods. Hand pockets are easy to get into while sitting. Only dwr test was my puppy spilling ice-t on me, it passed. Anyway fourth of July weekend they will get a long hike in the heat. Or maybe a quick summit on a 14'r where it should be relatively cool.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clocked about 15 miles in the hardscrabble pants. Mostly warm weather except at a roaring creek bottom at around 9000ft at 730 a.m., pretty chilly there but didn't feel it through the pants I would have in something less substantial. Heading out it quickly warmed to about 80 with the trail directly into the sun. I almost stopped to change into my tiburons I packed along but wanted to push the hs since they're designed to be all purpose. Glad I didn't change because they will become my archery season pants too. Yes I got warm but didn't sweat in them. This area is wilderness, lots of trees and shade so they do very well with wide temperature swings but not something I'd wear say mid August high desert antelope hunt where it's all day heat. September elk woods they should be about all I need.

Had some short but tricky footing through some boulders which they did great articulating and not showing any wear. It wasn't extremely technical but I did drag my legs and butt across the rocks on purpose to see how they held up, great so far.

They have an ideal fit, not baggy catching on deadfall when stepping over but far from skinny jeans.

Hip vents is the only area I see potential for improvement. They function just fine and play a big role in the versatility. I just feel if they opened wider and or longer it would give them an even wider range. For reference they are the same size and location as my kuiu pants so it wasn't poor execution by skre rather the nature of a midweight pant.

Coming home I stopped by sportsman's Warehouse to get an idea of how to describe the material. The closest thing to it was the king's camo hunter series poly pants. Tightly woven, no lining or brushed interior. Big difference is the kings don't stretch and are noisy, the hs are quiet. Compairing build quality at the store, much better than the house brand killak, very on par with Sitka. I can see the same stiching types and precise detail between the two.

Camo pattern does well with the rocks. Being solo with just a phone I didn't get any pics at distance of the pattern.

I know it's hard to buy without having your hands on it first. If you're local to Denver send me a PM, I'd be willing meet up.

03ad8ca840485a231e7a01971691c5f4.jpg
c458081fac2d7881b75f1b880b1f14ef.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dwr test in the sprinklers beaded well. Let's say you fell in creek or got caught without your rain gear, I thoroughly soaked them rung them out and hung them up outside. Let's see how they dry overnight. It's 76 degrees so not exactly hunting temperature for 1030 at night but should give me an idea.
87dae603ba22db6bb31493d4925d6997.jpg
49cfee8166b598a7ee3cc46e2fa8e4ec.jpg
. At the time of hanging out to dry they are as wet as can be without dripping.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Checked them at 12:30 and they were dry enough to wear if needed. I over slept so not sure when they got completely dry. Nice thing was since it's not a fleece material they didn't gain much water weight. If you had to wear them soaked they shouldn't pull down on you.

Also not sure if it's considered a mechanical stretch but no spandex so they didn't stretch out from water weight like under armour.

I imagine with a heat source or sun exposure at any temperature they would dry fast.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's was 94 when I started my scouting trip and dropped to 64 with wind and rain. Luckily I found I still had my puffy in my pack.
3a3fedea83478e1f8b857ce7e3aa4053.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else wish there was a hood option for the down jacket?

bmart2622

WKR
Can anyone with the vest comment on the size? I wear a Large in a Kuiu vest, not sure if I need to size up with the SKRE.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone with the vest comment on the size? I wear a Large in a Kuiu vest, not sure if I need to size up with the SKRE.
I saw that camo fire is having a SKRE sell today. I don't have a vest but the sizing guide on the website has been pretty accurate for me. They also have a return policy where they pay shipping until you get the proper size.