SKRE Complete Review (+ Giveaway!!!), by Travis Bertrand

bmart2622

WKR
Yeah, I have some of their stuff already but I'm not sure the return policy applies if you buy it in Camofire.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I have some of their stuff already but I'm not sure the return policy applies if you buy it in Camofire.
You could try and give SKRE customer service a call and see what Mike thinks sizing wise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't know if this has been asked but how do the hardscabble pants compare to kuiu attack pants? What originally sold me was the hip vents and solid color choices. I have had them a few years and either my girlfriend shrunk them or I am gaining weight so I am looking into another pair but may buy skree or even something else but I just wondered how they felt compared to the attacks because they seem closest to them. I do have a pair of Eddie Bauer guide pants and a pair of the Costco pants but they are lighter weight then the attacks.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if this has been asked but how do the hardscabble pants compare to kuiu attack pants? What originally sold me was the hip vents and solid color choices. I have had them a few years and either my girlfriend shrunk them or I am gaining weight so I am looking into another pair but may buy skree or even something else but I just wondered how they felt compared to the attacks because they seem closest to them. I do have a pair of Eddie Bauer guide pants and a pair of the Costco pants but they are lighter weight then the attacks.
Very similar in every way. Hardscrabble pants are not fleece lined like the jacket. HS is a little more shell where as the attacks are a bit more geared for breathing. I would put them in the same temp and activity range.

Fit is very similar. HS are not a low rise cut. Regular length is 34 same as kuiu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Very similar in every way. Hardscrabble pants are not fleece lined like the jacket. HS is a little more shell where as the attacks are a bit more geared for breathing. I would put them in the same temp and activity range.

Fit is very similar. HS are not a low rise cut. Regular length is 34 same as kuiu.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully scree comes out with a solid color pant before I have the money together to buy new pants.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Hopefully scree comes out with a solid color pant before I have the money together to buy new pants.
If you're just wanting to wear around town the pattern isn't bad for that. It's more subdued than others.

Give them a call. When I spoke with Mike about products it literally sounded like he was writing it down. He was very receptive.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Just talked to Mike. The returns will go through camofire not Skre so that will be a consideration. He did say said the same warranty and service applies though. Super customer service either way.

Last edited:

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think if their stuff is hitting camofire they could be trying to clear space for new products or camo patterns that others have heard rumors about?

bmart2622

WKR
They are coming out with a new pattern, Mike confirmed it when I was asking him about some of the pieces. I got the impression that it would be an additional pattern and not a replacement to the current one.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are coming out with a new pattern, Mike confirmed it when I was asking him about some of the pieces. I got the impression that it would be an additional pattern and not a replacement to the current one.
That was my impression too. Mike sounds consistent, that's a good quality.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
SKRE out on the" clothesline " line drying ready for Aug 19th archery opener.
ebee3a8a3d19a40d89b5228c235f935e.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I loaded up on the camofire deal and now have a full set of gear from Skre. HS pants, Jacket, and vest along with alpine shirt, hoody, and merino base layer. This is good gear but not really competitive with Sitka. Zippers are not as smooth and are loud. Pit zips require 2 hands. HS Jacket is much louder than the Jetstream and is stiff. Jetstream is also softer on the inside.

I love the hoody. I think the vest will be great after it softens up in the wash. The HS pants are definitely best for colder weather especially if you plan on hiking much. This is not gear for those of us counting ounces. Sheep and Goat hunters will be better served sticking with Sitka and Kuiu.

The merino is itchy but will hopefully get softer after a few washes. Definitely not as comfy as firstlite. I can't decide if I like the camo pattern. It is darker in person than what it appears to be on the website.

I live in Hawaii and took the HS Pants and Alpine shirt hunting last Saturday. Killed a deer and got it bloody. Washed out well. Had several deer look at me but none of them boogered off so the camo must work.

Overall happy I got the clothing. It has a place in my gear but it definitely is not in the same class as Sitka yet. It has potential and I'm rooting for this company. If you are expecting Sitka quality, you won't be happy. If you just don't want to pay Sitka prices, this is good clothing and is a great value given the price. I would rate this at 75% of Sitka. That said, Sitka wasn't perfect when it first came out. Skre will learn and improve and will be a major competitor in the coming years.

This is my first post but try not to hold that against me. I am looking forward to being on this board for many years to come.

Jardo

WKR
So I was looking at my Jetstream and HS Jacket side by side and the zippers appear to be the same make and style. I can't figure out why the zippers run so much smoother on the Sitka, but they are. Perhaps Sitka is paying for a higher grade zipper?

Maybe someone from Skre can chime in on the zippers. All I know is that I can open pit zips on the Jetstream with one hand but it takes 2 hands to open them on the HS jacket.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I was looking at my Jetstream and HS Jacket side by side and the zippers appear to be the same make and style. I can't figure out why the zippers run so much smoother on the Sitka, but they are. Perhaps Sitka is paying for a higher grade zipper?

Maybe someone from Skre can chime in on the zippers. All I know is that I can open pit zips on the Jetstream with one hand but it takes 2 hands to open them on the HS jacket.

I bet it has to do with how soft and flexible the material is. I too was impressed with the zips on the jet stream, much better than my guide jacket but my kenai (softest of the bunch) is smoother than both. Another thing to look at, does Sitka eliminate the fleece lining under the arms? That would allow less restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I bet it has to do with how soft and flexible the material is. I too was impressed with the zips on the jet stream, much better than my guide jacket but my kenai (softest of the bunch) is smoother than both. Another thing to look at, does Sitka eliminate the fleece lining under the arms? That would allow less restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The jetstream has their micro grid fleece lining under the arms. The HS also has microfleece linings near the zippers. I think the fit is what makes the zipper hang up on the HS jacket... it's baggy in the arms compared to the Jetstream.

I spent the afternoon comparing zippers and all of the Sitka zippers on my gear run smooth. Something is definitely different even though they appear to be the exact same zippers.

I am going to order the light weight Skre pants this week and see if I like them better than my old ascents in open country. I wish I could order the tiburons but as usual, Kuiu is out of stock in my size! those boys at Kuiu should have taken a couple of business management classes rather than spending all their time in the gym flexing in front of the mirror!

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
As for the Ptarmigan down jacket, how quiet is the fabric? I have the Kuiu super down to compare to, and that's about like wearing a garbage bag.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
First thoughts on the kaibab bottoms. I'm using Sitka merino boxers for comparison since it's the closest thing I have to them. They won't get much use until November and I'll updated my thoughts on odor, comfort etc. For reference kaibab is listed as 170, a call to Sitka to find out all their merino is 200. To be fair The Sitka looks worn in the photos because it's used, I'm not trying to show any difference in quality but will compare down the road.

Size up or two! Many Skre pieces are said to run small. I'm skinny so the mediums are perfect. The tightest area is below my knees. Overall a perfect next to skin but not compression fit. For reference I'm a 16 3/4 calf (go ahead with the skinny jokes ).

They seemed to be cut to where the waistband rides high, or at least not low rise. In the photo you can see the kaibab waist is taller and has merino wrapping over the elastic. I'm expecting greater comfort from the kaibab as elastic on my skin gets irritating after about four days. The extra high band should also be more comfortable spreading out the pressure. Another bonus is it won't be right under my pack's belt.
35176ec9b56a6344fe9a7b2ad7277e32.jpg

Last photo is to show the stitching next to Sitka (grey fabric). I'm no expert in stitch technique but there is a difference. Both are consistent and tightly stitched. Maybe someone can comment on stitch types?
6815684055a351b7ba6a83cd492cf60b.jpg

Stretches a bit better but recovers a bit slower than my Sitka, probably due to the slight difference in fabric weight. Not sure if they are meant to be short or maybe it's my 33.5 inseam? They feel soft to me but I haven't been itchy with smart wool, Kuiu, icebreaker, or Sitka. I've only tried on first light so can't compare to that. Hopefully this is helps for anyone on the fence.

Jardo

WKR
I am impressed with the merino. Not quite as comfortable as firstlite but I like it more than Sitka. Sitka is a baggy fit on me where Skre is form fitting. Sure is itchy but I think with a few washes it will be gtg. FL is still the best for merino but Skre has a good product and I love the price.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
So I got both the ptarmigan and nebo raingear. First impressions are good both ways. Ptarmigan fits really well, relatively quiet for a puffy and the shock cords in the pockets is a nice touch. Nebo fits similar to my chugach but with a hood that fits better for me. Chugach hood always let rain run down my hat and into my face. Also quieter and packs smaller than the kuiu. Only minus I can see is the lack of pit zips.