First Lite Cipher pattern and Giveaway!

Benjblt

WKR
Hey Roksliders!

The new First Lite Cipher pattern will be ready to order very shortly! I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of Alturas Women's Guide pants in the new Cipher pattern a few weeks ago, just in time for our Mexico trip. Cipher is a bit more "open" pattern than the Fusion and also doesn't incorporate the greens. The browns are also a bit toned down from the Fusion pattern, and almost has a grey look to it, which I really like.

When I first saw this pattern I couldn't help but think of how well it was going to blend into open, rocky and dull colored country that I typically hunt. Once in Mexico my thoughts became reality as I witnessed how well it actually blended in. Baja Mexico is very open, rocky and sparse when it comes to plant life.. other than everything that wants to stick you... it's very desolate country as one would expect. When I see a great fit for this pattern it's in the south west.. Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada are all places I think of where this pattern would dominate. I also think of the high country hunter above treeline stalking in on deer, sheep and goats among the rocks. A whitetail hunter in their tree stand once the leaves have fallen is another place I see this pattern.

Along with the Cipher pattern, the pants themselves performed awesome in that country. With all of the sharp plant life I was a little worried about putting a big rip in my pants, but I didn't give them much special care, I just walked through bushes and brushed by cactus and never put a hole in them. These Altura's pants are the exact same material as the men's Corrugate guide pants. It was hot during the day right around 80 and I thought the pants breathed very well and transferred moisture from my skin very well.

We talked with Ryan from First Lite today and we're putting a Cipher giveaway together for the Rokslide family! Go up to your thread tools and hit subscribe, so you know right when we give the details out. Hit me up with any questions on the pattern or clothes you might have!

~Jordan
Camo pattern looks great! Do you know anything about the new merino pant?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Camo pattern looks great! Do you know anything about the new merino pant?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I haven't gotten a chance with the new Obsidian pants. Here is a photo of the specs from their catalog though.

8660f45efb28423167224d73b5b1c7ae.jpg

--

Rokslide Staff

Sent via my iPhone Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok everyone. After conversing with Ryan at FL we've come up with a giveaway... actually 2!

1. Uncompahgre puffy jacket
2. Vapor stormlight rain jacket

These are separate giveaways, and we want to give them away to guys/gals who really need the gear and will give us some feedback on what they think.

So here is how you enter to win: (comment on this thread)

Give us a short paragraph stating WHICH jacket you want to win, WHERE you will be using it and WHY you think it will be a good choice for your area.

Below are a couple of videos on these items. Looking forward to this.. good luck everyone!

[video=youtube_share;KSByRVBxE88]https://youtu.be/KSByRVBxE88[/video]

[video=youtube_share;LukuEsl0t7s]https://youtu.be/LukuEsl0t7s[/video]

Would love to have the Vapor stormlight rain jacket. I'll be on an archery elk hunt this September in Colorado. It would be absolutely perfect for those quick Colorado rains and keeping that wind off while glassing. Pick me:)

My wife is going to start bowhunting this year for elk. She is constantly cold so the Uncompahgre Jacket would be perfect for her and help keep her mind off the elements and instead focused on elk.

twall13

WKR
That's a tough choice for me as I fully intend to purchase both at some point. That said, I think I'd get more use out of the Uncompahgre puffy here in Utah where the Vapor jacket would likely spend more time in the pack than getting used. I want a lightweight synthetic puffy for backpack hunting elk and mule deer. This should work well for glassing and around camp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Uncompahgre Puffy

I'd love to put the Uncompahgre to the test in the cold of northern BC Canada! Hunting moose in September can get darn cold, and it's tough to sit and glass without having to do some squats or push-ups to stay warm. Being able to stay still and have longer glassing sessions would be ideal. Thank you First lite!
c6c4bc60c2cdc6686b5f25247bd4a409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjsekerak

FNG
Uncompahgre , It would be used for most of my outdoor activities. Fishing ,hunting ,ad hiking. Seems like it would be a go to piece of equipment.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

MP.hunter

FNG
Simple, I would love the Stormlight Jacket. Can't think of a better place to really need a rain jacket than here in Western Wa. Hunting for Elk and Deer in heavy brush to glassing clear cuts getting wet is just a way of life, thinking this jacket would it life more comfortable.

Vapor stormlight for hunting blacktail in the rainforests of western wa.

I agree with many people, this is a tough choice as both are lacking from my gear right now!
But....
The Vapor storm light would keep me dry on my first backcountry archery elk hunt in Colorado this year. It would not only keep my dry in a climate and season that can often be wet but seems like a great wind breaking layer for those windy glassing sessions that I have heard about. But if I win this I would have to complete the set by buying some FL rain pants...

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to try the Uncompahgre, I bow hunt and do a lot of backpacking here in Utah. I've hear great things about the puffy and highly respect First Lite as a company and what they represent. Put me on the list

541hunter

WKR
Vapor storm light jacket!
I would be using it mostly in Western Oregon for hunting elk, blacktail, bear and at work while cruising timber. I think it will be great for hunting south western Oregon timberland due to varying terrain and weather. It would also be nice for spring through fall showers when out cruising timber where wearing heavier rain gear is just as miserable as getting soaking wet.

Benjblt

WKR
Uncompahgre Jacket
What and where- A spring bear hunt in SW Oregon. I've been a little unhappy with my Kuiu puffy and think the First Lite puffy would fit the bill much better as far as having an edge in durability and warmth. The synthetic insulation and Cocona 37.5 will also be more apt to handle the damp conditions I would expect to encounter for this years season. I'll be hunting just below the snow line. I'll also be looking to use it in Wyoming's desert at the foothills of the Rocky's in October for mule deer and helping my brother-in-law on his elk hunt in Eastern Oregon as well. I'm anxious to see how well Cipher blends into the burns that I hunt and Eastern Oregon.

Last edited:
Vapor Stormlight
Whether it's taking spray over the bow during the mid-April Walleye spawn on the Detroit River, waiting out a late October rain shower while on stand during the Whitetail rut, or exploring the North Central Colorado mountains and meadows trying to find an elk for the first time this September, It'd sure be handy to have a high-quality rain jacket from a company that knows the outdoors and fights to conserve them as well.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Uncompahgre for a NW Colorado Elk hunt. As a Midwest hunter I have FL layering and cold weather gear. The Uncompahgre for Elk would be the perfect addition.

NDGuy

WKR
Uncompahgre Puffy Jacket

I am a relative newcomer to Western hunting as my first trip was last fall to the Badlands of ND. I GOT HOOKED! If I win I want to really put it to the test since I have heard it is a very adaptive jacket. I will be using it everywhere from cool/windy days here in ND for waterfowl, pheasants and whitetails to chasing rutting muleys out in WY and Montana for the rifle season (If I draw in WY) also am putting in for a cow Elk tag and planning hunting late November. I would love the opportunity to try the jacket out and write up a review after my season using it.

I am expecting my first child in July so this would be an awesome surprise for me with my budget constraints coming up! HA!

Thanks to FL and Rokslide for putting this on for us!

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
I'd love the Uncompahgre for South Dakota mule deer and an elk hunt trip to Colorado this fall. I'm looking for a light, packable insulating layer that I throw on while glassing or in camp and trust in unpredictable backcountry weather. I'd also throw it in my pack during early spring turkeys out here in the Black Hills just in case the weather takes a turn.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Very tough choice since I just ripped my down jacket sleeve, but I also just moved to western WA so I'd say I'll have a good use for the storm light. Thanks for the opportunity!